Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its early but I'd like to get peace of mind on this.

For those of you in colder climates (north of the border) do you store your bike over the winter months in a warm environment? Unfortunately my garage isn't heated and isn't attached to the house so it'll get very cold in there. Assuming I follow the winter storage instructions in the manual, are there any other issues with storing it in there? It can get pretty cold in Montreal.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Here in North Idaho the temps get pretty low. We usually have a few days each winter of below 0 Fahrenheit and many days below freezing. Our bikes are in an attached garage on the end farthest from the house. We just plug in the Battery Tenders, cover 'em with dust covers and wait for spring!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm in Winnipeg and it gets brutal cold here for 5 months. When I'm putting her away for the winter I wash and wax, fill the tank up, change the oil and filter and put it on the bike lift. Cover her up with a bed sheet and wait for spring. I also pull the battery out and charge it monthly in the house. Also I store in an unheated garage. No problemo.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, if thats good enough for Winnipeg its good enough for Montreal ;-) Thanks, thats what I'll do.

The manual mentions putting a spoon full of oil in the cylinders to prevent them from rusting. That seems a little extreme to me, does anybody do that?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi, I spray snowmobile storage oil into the cylinders and turn the motor over by hand with the spark plugs out , also I put plastic over the carb intake and the exhaust to seal out any moist air getting into the motor. I change the fluids ,wax, and put up on lift , remove battery and store inside and charge monthly ( battery is a real treat to remove and install ) have a good one , ;) your neighbour in Ottawa Ontario.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts