Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 interstate with the stock windshield. And i am getting an awful head shake at 70mph. Tried lowering and raising it with some homemade brackets, about an inch or two. Didn't help much. Has anyone had the same problem? Or any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
593 Posts
try a different helmet. Many are designed to reduce this effect. My round HJC doesn't, but my Nolan does (somewhat). Can also go to the Willie and Max website and click on their build a bagger link. They make a batwing fairing for the Interstate which might solve all your problems if you can afford it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have three helmets of different brands and styles. All seem to do the same. Not a big bat wing fan. Has anyone tried lowers. Some blogs say the wind might be coming under the wind shield.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well - I've only been riding mine for 2 days - but I see the buffeting issue.

I'm hoping a slightly lower seat will help.

I'd like to cut about 8" off the top and see if that helps....

:eek:

Let me qualify that - 500 miles in the last 2 days !! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm replacing the stock windsheild with a smaller National Cycle Deflector Screen DX.
I've riding without the screen and it's not bad, the small screen should be enough to keep the wind of my chest and face.
I've always had a small screen on my other bikes and they work great.
As soon as it's on, I will update.Dealer ordered the wrong kit, it has mounts for 7/8 bars, we have 1.25 so the NC rep will have my bar mounts at Americade for me..

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2010 interstate with the stock windshield. And i am getting an awful head shake at 70mph. Tried lowering and raising it with some homemade brackets, about an inch or two. Didn't help much. Has anyone had the same problem? Or any suggestions? Thanks
put your hand down beside either side of tank while driving and you will see its not the windshield. lowers on the forks should take care of this. i had them on my 1300 vtx and it was the first thing i noticed on my initial ride home with the new vt1300ct

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
put your hand down beside either side of tank while driving and you will see its not the windshield. lowers on the forks should take care of this. i had them on my 1300 vtx and it was the first thing i noticed on my initial ride home with the new vt1300ct
What I was gonna post the same....my VTX has a stream of air around the tank and lower shield, I'm in the process of getting a National Cycle 2 Up with lowers...can't wait!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have lowers on mine, they even look good there, right at the top of the fork covers, they don't break up the lines of the bike. I have lost most of the buffeting, but keep enough air moving that it doesn't get too hot. There is still quite a bit of air coming up on either side of the tank, but you probably won't stop that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ya. I've put up with that since I've had mine. I use a full face helmet when its cold and its not quite as noticeable, but still there. In the summer I wear a half-helmet and get buffeted quite a bit. Let's see, air breather is next then maybe a new windshield.

·
jms412
112 Posts
Hey KCWILDGUY can you post a pic of the lowers? What kind do you have and how much were them? I have a 2010 Stateline with a hondaline windshield and I get alot of buffering around 60mph. I had lowers on my VTX and never had any trouble. Thanks for any info you can give me.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have lowers on mine, they even look good there, right at the top of the fork covers, they don't break up the lines of the bike. I have lost most of the buffeting, but keep enough air moving that it doesn't get too hot. There is still quite a bit of air coming up on either side of the tank, but you probably won't stop that.
Where did you pick up your lowers and do you have a picture of them on your bike? I'm getting quite a bit of buffeting as well. Thought about going the faring route but it's pretty expensive - but sure looks sharp.
Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
Where did you pick up your lowers and do you have a picture of them on your bike? I'm getting quite a bit of buffeting as well. Thought about going the faring route but it's pretty expensive - but sure looks sharp.
Thanks
Did anyone find lowers that would work on the Interstate?...I'm getting beat to death and my ears ring for hours because of the wind noise. As was mentioned by others, I'm getting blasted by air coming up from under the windshield and up the sides of the gas tank.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I would be very interested to see photos and hear first hand results too. I plan on being mostly backroads at 50 or so, but when i do go over 60, it's quite something to deal with...

·
Registered
426 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Me want's lowers and risers. Haven't found either yet. Scootworks makes some clamp on lowers that might fit the Interstate, but I'm not willing to dish out the mulla to find out. Chances are they wouldn't line up right with the shield for a propper airflow. I was thinking of having some lowers made at the local custom bike shop down the street, but that could prove costly. Of course it would be kind of cool to have the outer edge cut like flames or even a tribal cut, maybe a row of inset LEDs runing down the middle of each lower.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just got my Interstate a week ago, and have the same problem when I get to 50-60. Forget about 70 on the highway. Not sure why they bill this as a touring cruiser with this design problem. If anyone comes up with any ideas, please post. I too have not been able to find any lowers for this bike.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I put the Memphis Shades lowers on mine. It doesn't completely stop the buffeting...but it does help quite a bit. They are plenty wide...but probably shorter than they should be

Me want's lowers and risers. Haven't found either yet. Scootworks makes some clamp on lowers that might fit the Interstate, but I'm not willing to dish out the mulla to find out. Chances are they wouldn't line up right with the shield for a propper airflow. I was thinking of having some lowers made at the local custom bike shop down the street, but that could prove costly. Of course it would be kind of cool to have the outer edge cut like flames or even a tribal cut, maybe a row of inset LEDs runing down the middle of each lower.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm wondering if these would fit the Interstate. Fitment details don't reflect that they do but just a thought.

http://www.dollarrider.com/detail.cfm?model_ID=541&Category_ID=38&manufacturer_ID=48&product_ID=25960&sblid_name=

Still haven't found any specifically for the Interstate.
Replying to my earlier post here. Found out these only work with the National Cycle windshield. I actually ordered the ones below yesterday (i have a chrome buying problem). Will let everyone know if they fit and work.

http://store.valueaccessories.net/chromeairdeflectorsfitsvtx1300rst.aspx

Reactions: Jeffbrownjr
1 - 20 of 117 Posts