Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
WHYNOT
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone can tell me if my warranty will be voided/questioned if I do my own 600 mile service. Local shop is booked and I have plans, the only thing I'm not sure on is checking the valves, will have to find some instructions. The shop charges $350 plus parts for the service :huh: Checking the valves is the only big thing, the rest is topping off and nut/bolt check.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i talked with my dealer bout the same thing and he told me as long as i document everything that i do including mileage when i do it that it would not void my warranty. i would call honda and your dealer to double check...when i took mine in for the first service i told them that it had better be free if they expected me to spend anymore money in there..it was free..and i continue to go back for everything that i need..and i dont haggle on the price to much for aftermarket equipment

·
Registered
131 Posts
350 dollars is a crazy rip off. I had my 600 mile service done on my Stateline for 75 bucks. I have a pretty good relationship with my dealer but even if I didnt that price is just insane. As for doing it yourself Im not sure if that would void your warranty or not. The biggest thing (as far as I know) about the 600 mile service is getting any metal shavings out of the oil from the initial break in of the bike and gears.

·
WHYNOT
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought 350 was insane too, I called today and asked about just a valve check/adjustment and was told $267. Asked about the warranty and pretty said if it can be proven that what you did or didn't do caused damage, no warranty.

I'm pretty handy with a wrench and other tools, I've rebuilt the whole top end on my HD twice in the last 11 years and had the heads and stuff off a few times. I'm sure I can check/adjust the valves myself, I just need to get a service manual.

Where is the oil filter? Is it all one hole, trans and engine together?

·
WHYNOT
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So today I called three other Honda shops in the area. Two of them told me the same thing as the first. The third shop which is out of the Metro area about a half hour, he told me 150 for a valve check/adjustment. He also said that it was probably a waste of time/money to look at the valves until after about 2000 miles, he's also the first one to tell me they need to bike to sit over night before checking valves.

So I picked up a filter and some oil, will change the oil myself (as I always do)and bring my bike to them in another 1000 miles for a valve check. The more expensive places wanted to check all my cables, brake wear, top off coolant, etc.... Check brakes?? I barely have the glaze burnt off yet, as for the rest of it, I'll do what I'm sure they would do, look at all real close and make sure the levers and such feel right (end play, smooth movement etc..).

·
Peace
631 Posts
I too change the oil myself on my Interstate. Just be sure to pull both plugs when draining the oil. There is one in the front and rear of the housing. You will see them while you down there. My dealer also recomended that I chage the shaft oil every oil change also, just to keep up with what is going on in there. You know, looking for shavings and crap.

·
WHYNOT
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I too change the oil myself on my Interstate. Just be sure to pull both plugs when draining the oil. There is one in the front and rear of the housing. You will see them while you down there. My dealer also recomended that I chage the shaft oil every oil change also, just to keep up with what is going on in there. You know, looking for shavings and crap.
Good idea, I'll change the shaft drive oil as well. Ordered a Honda service manual for it too, I'll check and adjust my own valves. I've had my whole valve train apart and back together and adjusted on my HD, I'm sure I can check/adjust the Honda's valves. I don't trust half the dealers with my bikes anyways :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wondering if anyone can tell me if my warranty will be voided/questioned if I do my own 600 mile service. Local shop is booked and I have plans, the only thing I'm not sure on is checking the valves, will have to find some instructions. The shop charges $350 plus parts for the service :huh: Checking the valves is the only big thing, the rest is topping off and nut/bolt check.
Yes if you do any maintance on your bike yourself on a back yard mechanic then your warranty will be voided. I talked to my dealer and several others and they said the same thing, if anything goes wrong with your bike and they look up and see that your service checks were not done by a certified honda mechanic then yes they do not have to honor your warranty/call it void. Just be careful in whatever you do bro

·
Registered
112 Posts
hmm so voided warranty either way...????think i will stop by my dealer and see if he can produce me something in print :blink: :unsure:

got this from honda powersports web site. I will call tomorrow and find out for sure B)

Contact Us - Honda Powersports
Customer Service Information

If you wish to comment on your experiences with your Honda product or with your Dealer, please send your comments to the following address (U.S. only):
Motorcycle Division

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

P.O. Box 2200

Torrance, CA 90509-2200

Mail stop: 100-4C-7B

Telephone: (866) 784-1870
Learn More about Honda Powersports

Use these shortcuts to get the information that you need about our products, services and our website.

Frequently Asked Questions

Have a question? We've attempted to answer many of our users' commonly asked questions in this section.
News & Events

Get caught up on all of our Honda Powersports news and events.
Dealer Locator

We've made it easy for you to find and contact your local Honda Dealer.
Recall Information

Get important product information from Honda.

Support

Frequently Asked Questions
Product Recall Information
Getting Started
Site Map
Contact Us

Home
Support
Contact

My Favorites
Shopping Tools
Support

Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

About Powersports
Shopping Tools
Honda Services
Honda On The Go
Site Map

Honda.com
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
Trademarks
Support
Product Recall Information
Manuals

©2011 American Honda Motor Co., Inc. - Motorcycle Division

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
No it will not void your warranty, the Magnuson-Moss Act prevents the dealer(s)/ manufacturers from doing this, keep your receipts, and note in the owners manual when and who and mileage of the services. I have done scores of the first services on VTXs, almost none needed a valve adjustment, and I have done about a dozen on the the VT1300 line and ALL of them needed an adjustment. Don't know why,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts