Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello All

Bike has 14K on it. Wanted to check out the cylinder to see how things are going. Found some Carbon that I'm in the process of cleaning, or at least attempting to clean up. After some debate. I'm trying Techron fuel treatment first. I figure if Chevron is putting this in their fuel. it must be somewhat safe... may move on to try Sea foam next if I don't see an improvement.

Links to my Videos on YouTube. These are my baseline. I will take some more Videos after the fist round of fuel treatment attempts.

Through the Plug. Looking at the Top of the piston.

Used the 90 Degree mirror attachment to see the Head / Valve / Spark Plug

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8Azqw3M4tA

FYI.. The Inspection Camera is from Harbor Freight. I think I paid $160ish after coupons etc....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks thrifty. I can't wait till after the treatment to see what the effects are. I've read and heard so many stories about people trying different products and swearing by them without any proof of results. Just the same old, It felt like it worked etc.....

The bottle of Techron I bought is enough to treat 12 gallons. Total amount of the bottle is 12 fl oz. So used 4 fl oz for the first tank. going to run 3 tank fulls back to back to give it an honest run for its money. 1st tank about done, 2 more to go. Then I'll post the results back here.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ Bob J

Well, when I bought the bike. I religiously used the highest octane at the pump. Thortons Gas Station if that matters. used that for the first 10k. Then after talking to some budies, they said running that would hurt somehow. can not remember what it was that was harmfull. Ever since, I've been using the middle grade. Bike seem to run better. So I'm not sure if that was a mistake or not. Not sure how long the Carbon buildup has been happening or if that only happened when running the 92 Octane.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Stateliner,
In the 14,000 miles you've run, have you added any fuel additive/cleaner to your gas?
The reason I ask, I normally add about 2 1/2 oz. of B-12 Chemtool about every third tank of gas in my Sabre running on regular gas as preventitive action.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@ grwgramps

No Sir, This is the first time I have ever added anything with the fuel.. I've head of many treatments though after searching the net. Sea foam, Techron, BG44K, and the B-12 you mentioned. Was unsure of which to try first. Techron seemed the less risky of the bunch, but that was just a guess on my part.

·
Registered
37 Posts
FYI, The Techron stuff is endorsed, relabeled for use in Volkswagens. I personally use Extreme fuel additive in all my stuff. It works and I have verified it.

Good luck! It will be great to hear of your experiences.

Tom.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just ran the scope again after 10 gallons of gas treated with Techron

I am seeing progress, but I'm unsure how to proceed.

When checking it out, The Carbon that was still there appeared to be somewhat soaked which tells me it may just need more time.. Should I just keep adding Techron till I'm where I need to be. I don't want to keep adding cleaner if it will harm the fuel system over prolonged use.

There is now a huge chunk on top of the piston that is pretty clean.

Notice the silver looking band at the top of the cylinder head.. This was covered in carbon before.

[media]http://youtu.be/LlrAwjG--Lc

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That may be my next one to try out. I thought you added seafoam before the oil change and not after.

I've heard of multiple ways to apply seafoam. through the intake, they have a special can with a long straw to reach inside the intake / carb. I have also heard that people add it to their oil before they change the oil..... I need to do some more research

I went ahead and started a second treatment with Techron to see if it just need more time to work. On tank 2 of Three. I'll pull the plugs and take another look after this round and decide where to go from there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you use it in the oil it's before you change it and just to warm it up. I put it in the tank after each oil change since it's recommended for every 3000 miles. My old CB got fresh oil every 3000 so it was a nice routine. On the old bike it helped keep the carbs clean for the Stateline it keeps the injectors clean and should help keep the carbon build up to a minimum.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.