Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright folks, I am stuck and confused as to what the dealer put on my bike. Backstory first:

I went into the parts department and spoke to the department people about getting saddlebag mounts so he pulled the honda catalog out and we went through. Found the right one and I placed the order but when they arrived he had put in ones for a Shadow instead of a Sabre. They said they would get the right ones and put it on. I took the bike in yesterday for them to install and when I got the bike back I had the mounts, that will be in a pic here, installed and no idea who makes them or anything. Can anyone identify them as they have no company information on them or anything?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information but I have a question about the sissybar and mounts. Does the sissybar and such that is 309.99 Cobra sissybar I am looking at come with the actual mount that allows me to use that bag support or is there another part? I am new to purchasing parts for a motorcycle and based on my local store getting the cobra ones when I purchased the Honda ones I don't really trust them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Cobra sissy bar comes with everything you need for the installation. The kit includes the frame mounting bracket (part# 02-6134M) that you have already purchased along with the saddlebag support. So, if you decide to go with the Cobra sissy bar, you will have an extra set of brackets. You could have saved about $40.00 by getting the sissy bar first. Now, keep in mind that this setup of Cobra Sissy bars and saddlebag support only allows you to install throw over saddlebags.
I have the same setup of Cobra Sissy bar and saddlebags support on my bike. I have included a picture so you can see it. Hope this helps.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright that's fine, I can have the extra bracket as I only paid 25 bucks for what is on the bike right now. They screwed up the first saddlebag support purchase I had made through them (They had ordered for a Honda 2010 shadow mount instead of a sabre) and then ordered and put on the above telling me it was the honda specific. The service they did on the bike was really good but so far the ability for them to actually order the correct parts and what I asked them for seems to be a huge failing on their part.

Thanks again for the information and it just basically means I am stuck with over the seat bags instead of the hard honda ones I had planned to put on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good onya Manny, thanks mate, I appreciate it.

I've just re-read your advice and looked properly at your picture, and see that you have the same chrome saddlebag brackets as Manny's pic on your Sabre. So are you saying those chrome saddlebag mounts came with the sissy bar you purchased (the $309 sissy bar that Ramodil linked to)? The pdf for that sissy bar shows the mounting brackets are included, but not the actual saddlebag brackets.

I'm just concerned that I'll order the wrong part - when I do a search on that part number (02-6134 and 02-6134M) the various seller listings show an image like this...

along with the additional mounting bracket...

I understand the mounting bracket goes underneath the wheel guard and all, but the actual chrome saddlebag mount that all the vendors seem to list looks nothing like the one in Ramodil's pic or your pic?

Am I missing something obvious, or are vendors maybe just using generic photos?

Regards,
Ant.

·
Registered
29 Posts
ANT,

The mounting bracket is part of the sissy bar kit. If you don't order the sissy bar, you will need to purchase this bracket separately. Also, the picture of the saddlebag support is a generic picture.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ANT,

The mounting bracket is part of the sissy bar kit. If you don't order the sissy bar, you will need to purchase this bracket separately. Also, the picture of the saddlebag support is a generic picture.
Also, when I look at the installation instructions on Cobra's website for any of their Sissy Bars, the Saddlebag support bracket is NOT listed or shown in the parts listing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was actually confused by this also.

So I contacted Cobra and they Confirmed that 02-6134 is the Saddle Bag support to fit the cobra sissy bars.
And 02-6134M is the Mounting Brackets that suit (only needed if you don't have the Cobra Sissy bar, because thise brackets come with the sissy Bar.

You will just need to buy a couple longer Allen bolts if mounting sissy bar and saddlebag supports.

I'm considering getting

02-4634 Mini Sissy Bar
02-3600 Formed Luggage Rack
02-6134 Luggage Bag Support

Have you seen any good places in Australia to get these at all ANT..?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I fitted the Cobra brackets - yep bought them, and the sissy etc as described in my earlier post. I bought some stainless allen bolts as well.

Man what a pain to do those allen bolts up.

Got them all fitted - but true to form it's a little different in Australia.......

Got them fitted and went for a ride {they looked good}

Went over a bump and heard a clunk, then when I braked, I had no rear brakes......

What had happened is that the RHS bracket had clipped over the rear brake callipers when I went over a bump. That put twisting pressure on the calliper, which compressed the brake pistons, meaning I had to pump the brakes to get them to work..

Long story short, I contacted Cobra, rechecked everything, to photos, measurements etc.

What seems t be apparent to me is this.

Based on Photos I see from the States and elsewhere, and looking at my bike....

The Australian 2010 model has a different rear calliper than the ones referenced online, and certainly different than the one Cobra use as a reference for their parts.

Is seems the calliper is bigger, wider, and mounted at an angle further forward than the others.

Meaning the calliper is much closer than is much closer to the support bracket when it is mounted.

In fact when i sit on the bike the bracket is almost touching the calliper.

Anyway, I figure I will need to make up some square washers to solve this.
Just flat square washers made from aluminium, but filed so one side is narrower than the other, allowing the bracket to flare out wider than the stock.

I could try bending the bracket, but I risk compromising the chrome finish, and also the mounts are not parallel so when the mount is tightened it would actually try and pull the bracket back to it's original alignment.

So to you Australian Sabre owners, be careful.

·
Peace
630 Posts
WOW!! I would never have thought that there would be a differance in anything like that. Just maybe emissions and the handle bars being on the other side. :rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts