Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a neighbor who should not own a motorcycle. He has dropped his three or four times, because he is only about as tall as "Mickey Rooney". I won't go into his other shortcomings; dent in tank, bent & scratched left rear view mirror, damaged left handle grip, bent left foot peg, scraped paint down to the metal on rear left swing arm, etc…

He purchased 2010 Honda 1300CS Sabre back in February at the local stealer. Walked in said I want that one, they fixed him up $12,559.00. (I know they saw him coming)

I ordered him some ISO grips, and a set of Cobra Fatty engine guards and install them for him.

Then I offered to help him out and replace both the broken left turn signals front and back, damaged during one of his drops.

Has anyone ever replaced one of the OEM turn signal assemblies?

The new one has two wires coming out of the stem with a quick connect on the end.
The OEM parts image shows a machine screw that goes into the stem from behind an ABS plastic molded part that mounts under the rear fender.
Looking under the fender I can see a screw that looks like 8mm bolt, but cannot see where the connector for the wires is. I suspect it goes under the molded plastic part that holds the taillight and licenses plate.

Need your input, how-to or suggestions.

·
WHYNOT
745 Posts
Don't know anything about the wiring. Sounds like you should just remove it all for him :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am a member of the VTX Cafe Forum and own a VTX 1300C, two VTX 1800C, and one VTX 1800F.
I'm trying to help repair a neighbors 2010 Sabre 1300CS, that he has dropped several times.

Is there anyone on this Forum that has replaced the stock rear turn signals with aftermarket turn signals, or replaced one of the OEM turn signals?

I took a stab at it myself without the aid of a detailed image from a manual. I was able to remove both the rear turn signals from the mounts on the ABS Plastic molded housing, but was not able to access the location where the two wire quickconnect plug is located.(see attacments)

Perhaps someone has a service manual for there new Sabre and can verbally provide me with guidence or can scan a image and send it to me or post it in a reply as an attachment.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

Bill. View attachment 78
I have a neighbor who should not own a motorcycle. He has dropped his three or four times, because he is only about as tall as "Mickey Rooney". I won't go into his other shortcomings; dent in tank, bent & scratched left rear view mirror, damaged left handle grip, bent left foot peg, scraped paint down to the metal on rear left swing arm, etc…

He purchased 2010 Honda 1300CS Sabre back in February at the local stealer. Walked in said I want that one, they fixed him up $12,559.00. (I know they saw him coming)

I ordered him some ISO grips, and a set of Cobra Fatty engine guards and install them for him.

Then I offered to help him out and replace both the broken left turn signals front and back, damaged during one of his drops.

Has anyone ever replaced one of the OEM turn signal assemblies?

The new one has two wires coming out of the stem with a quick connect on the end.
The OEM parts image shows a machine screw that goes into the stem from behind an ABS plastic molded part that mounts under the rear fender.
Looking under the fender I can see a screw that looks like 8mm bolt, but cannot see where the connector for the wires is. I suspect it goes under the molded plastic part that holds the taillight and licenses plate.

Need your input, how-to or suggestions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am pretty sure you need to remove the fender (and the seat ) to access the wiring, my manuals are at work, I can look tomorrow if need be.
I would appreciate it if you would look at your mamual and see if it has any images that address the taillight and license plate holder, or something similar. Maybe the rear turn signals may provide some guidance, reguarding remove or replace.

A friend on the VTX Café Forum sent me a link to a site with a detail image of OEM parts finch for the Sabre showing the taillight and license plate holder.
http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/REAR_FENDER/MakeID/1/Make/Honda/YearID/51/Year/2010/ModelID/8691/Model/VT1300CS/GroupID/419429/Group/TAILLIGHT_-_LICENSE_LIGHT

It gave me a much better look at what parts and fasteners that hold the assembly on the fender, but doesn't show where the wiring connectors are located.
There were two nuts that I tried to remove, but they would only turn with the bolts. I couldn't get to the bolts on the other side of the assembly behind the taillight, because when I removed the red plastic lenses that exposed the bulb and reflector I could not find a way to remove that part of the assembly. I did not want to force or pry on anything and break it, so I put everything back together.
So that is where I am at this point.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I would appreciate it if you would look at your mamual and see if it has any images that address the taillight and license plate holder, or something similar. Maybe the rear turn signals may provide some guidance, reguarding remove or replace.

A friend on the VTX Café Forum sent me a link to a site with a detail image of OEM parts finch for the Sabre showing the taillight and license plate holder.
http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/REAR_FENDER/MakeID/1/Make/Honda/YearID/51/Year/2010/ModelID/8691/Model/VT1300CS/GroupID/419429/Group/TAILLIGHT_-_LICENSE_LIGHT

It gave me a much better look at what parts and fasteners that hold the assembly on the fender, but doesn't show where the wiring connectors are located.
There were two nuts that I tried to remove, but they would only turn with the bolts. I couldn't get to the bolts on the other side of the assembly behind the taillight, because when I removed the red plastic lenses that exposed the bulb and reflector I could not find a way to remove that part of the assembly. I did not want to force or pry on anything and break it, so I put everything back together.
So that is where I am at this point.
I was right, you need to remove the fender, under the fender, directly on top of the tail light, there are 3 connectors, left, right, and lic., (orange left, blue right, white lic)
If you have never removed the seat, the 2 front bolts are accessed by removing the side covers, there are 2allen bolts holding the seat on from the front, and the rear bolt on op of the fender, with the seat off, remove the 2 trim clips from the front (2 little plastic rivet looking things, push on the center w/something pointy, then pull them out, they are reusable) there is also a harness clip on the mud guard (right by the rear pegs under fender) that need to be released, then lift fender off.
pic of my Fury, they are very similar disregard the purple wire, that was an equalizer I had for my LED lights

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was right, you need to remove the fender, under the fender, directly on top of the tail light, there are 3 connectors, left, right, and lic., (orange left, blue right, white lic)
If you have never removed the seat, the 2 front bolts are accessed by removing the side covers, there are 2allen bolts holding the seat on from the front, and the rear bolt on op of the fender, with the seat off, remove the 2 trim clips from the front (2 little plastic rivet looking things, push on the center w/something pointy, then pull them out, they are reusable) there is also a harness clip on the mud guard (right by the rear pegs under fender) that need to be released, then lift fender off.
pic of my Fury, they are very similar disregard the purple wire, that was an equalizer I had for my LED lights
Thank you very much Brew, now it starts to make sense as to why I could not get the ABS plastic assembly to come out.
Also as short as the wire connector was it had to be close where the quick-connect is.

Do you have to remove both the turn signals first before removing the rear fender?

Yes I have removed the seat and it was a bit of search to find those two bolts under the seat, but with the aid of a LED light I found them.

Are the trim clips like push pins that expand on the other side of where they mount, and you push in to release them?

The harness clip on the mud guard, right by the rear pegs under fender. I'm guessing I will know it when I see it.

Thanks again, I just knew that someone on the forum had "been there done that".

Bill.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Thank you very much Brew, now it starts to make sense as to why I could not get the ABS plastic assembly to come out.
Also as short as the wire connector was it had to be close where the quick-connect is.

Do you have to remove both the turn signals first before removing the rear fender?

Yes I have removed the seat and it was a bit of search to find those two bolts under the seat, but with the aid of a LED light I found them.

Are the trim clips like push pins that expand on the other side of where they mount, and you push in to release them?

The harness clip on the mud guard, right by the rear pegs under fender. I'm guessing I will know it when I see it.

Thanks again, I just knew that someone on the forum had "been there done that".

Bill.
No on the Sabre, you remove the fender first, then you can remove the t/s or both if need be. The trim clips look like rivets, you push the center in and it "unlocks" then you can remove it whole, to reinstall, you push up on the pointy part and it will come out (up) further than it was on the bike, center should be "up", put it back in the fender hole and push the center down till it is flush.it is easier to do than to explain. Not real sure about the clip on the mud flap, picture wasn't too clear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.