Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
This may sound like a dumb question, but I think I may be shifting at the wrong speeds. I just got a 2010 Stateline, its my first bike so I'm still getting used to riding, but somewhere in the user manual theres a suggested shifting speed. They list:

2: 20 km/hr (12 mls/hr)
3: 30 km/hr (18 mls/hr)
4: 40 km/hr (25 mls/hr)
5: 50 km/hr (30 mls/hr)

That seems ridiculously low to me. I shift into 2nd pretty fast and into 3rd at about 45 km/hr (28 mph), 4th at 70 km/hr (44 mph) and 5th at 90 km/hr (56 mph). The engine seems to be reving about right for shifting at those speeds. I've tried shifting at much lower speeds and it just doesn't seem right, the sound isn't good and theres no power.

Is it just me or is the manual way off?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think your manual listed the MPH values with the metric units. I shift my Interstate thus:

2nd 20 - 25 MPH
3rd 35 - 40 MPH
4th 50 - 55 MPH
5th 65+

Just my $0.02....

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'll run 1st gear up around 60 kmph , 2nd as high as 120kmph when accelerating onto a 400 series hwy, not hitting the limiter, typically 1st shift 40 kmph ,2nd 80 , then quickly through 3,4 to 5th depending on conditions , as the legal speed limit is 80 kmph around here. You'll find the groove.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Seems a little slow to me too. I don't shift out of first until I get to around 20mph. For 2nd and 3rd it depends on how fast I'm trying to accelerate and what's going on in traffic but I never shift into 5th until at least 60mph. I've never hit the rev limiter without trying but I don't like it to lope until I'm at cruisin' speed. I think somebody's grandma wrote that part of the manual. Well, not my grandma...she's 6'3", weighs 240, runs a 4.5 40, and hits like a Mack truck.

·
WHYNOT
745 Posts
Don't really pay attention to speed, just the sound and feel. I do know that when I need to merge or match traffic speed, I often hit the 55-60mph mark in 3rd gear. I think on average, I run 3rd to about 45mph, when I need to go, I run it to 55-60.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Took a look at the shift points under normal riding 1st -2nd 40kph, 2nd-3rd 60kph, 3rd-4th 80kph, 4th-5th 100 kph usually run around 95 to 100kph police don't usually pull you over if speed kept around or just under 100 kph. Just a shout out for our members south of the border. In Canada 50kph over the posted limit will instantly get your bike on a hook and a driving suspension , plus hudge fines and insurance increases if you can then get coverage. Not that you would speed . Just saying.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts