Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one installed a Stebel horn on their Interstate yet? If so where did you mount it? do you have pictures? I dont understand why Honda would insist on putting such a crappy horn on the bikes.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I ordered a Hella - hopefully it will be an easy swap.

I have a Stebel on my VTX - used the PepsX mounting bracket - and tapped the wires to the old horn with double contacts - works a treat.

Google pepsx for the bracket - only about $20 and I'm pretty sure it will work on the VT line.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has any one installed a Stebel horn on their Interstate yet? If so where did you mount it? do you have pictures? I dont understand why Honda would insist on putting such a crappy horn on the bikes.
I have that horn and I'm still looking for a good install location. Has anyone found a good place?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had one on my VTX - will be using the PEPSX bracket - mounts on the swingarm - here's the blurb from his website:

A. The bracket is designed to fit under the swing arm. Use three #10 x ¾" self drilling screws. Mount the Stebel horn to the bracket using the mounting bolt and nut that comes with the horn. Then hold it under the swing to find the best location for your bike. Mark the bracket location on the swing arm. Unbolt the bracket from the horn and use the self drilling screws to mount the bracket to the swing arm. A drop of blue loctite is recommended on each screw. Then bolt the horn to the installed bracket.

The website:

http://www.pepsx.com/index.html

Gonna be my next project...

My new slip-ons are due Tuesday ---

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the Stebel on my Fury - don't know if you can install it in the same place - but I have it mounted in front of the rear tire using a simple short bar bracket I made and bolted to the charcoal can... i have it tapped into the stock horn so get both when I need to blast it... and yes, it's plenty loud!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am installing one of these horns and am looking for a good location to tap the horn wire to power the relay for the new horn. I don't want to use the wire at the horn and would rather use another location ie the other end of the wire. when I follow the wire loom it seems to go back to just behind the battery but I am unable to find the horn wire in it at that end. I assume I made a mistake in tracing the wire. Does anyone know a suitable location to access the horn wire closer to the battery?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just to update, I found a good location to tap the horn switch wire inside of the headlight bucket. I am using that to feed a relay that is installed behind the battery then running the power wire from there back to the horn that is mounted above the radiator. all the wires were easy to run under the gas tank and are out of sight with the exception of the end that goes to the horn itself. I made a custom bracket to hold the horn.

·
I wont call you Betty, but you CAN can call me Al
1,551 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
I put mine on the right side, with a homemade bracket similar to the horn mounted above, except mine faced forwards. I left the stock horn wires in place, and just extended them across and over. Put the relay up inside the little plastic housing in front of the tank. I stuck some doublesided gray tape between the horn and the bike, just so there wouldn't be metal scratching metal.

Hope this helps.

Also excuse the dirty bike. :eek:

·
I wont call you Betty, but you CAN can call me Al
1,551 Posts
Ordered the compact Stebel and will have it tomorrow. I'll hit it with black paint and then install it.

Next issue - remembering where the horn button is in a panic ;-) (anyone else have this issue?)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts