Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need a truthfull answer on this one. To all of you that have a stateline, have you tried to go faster than 100 miles per hour? Took the bike out today since it was really nice out and the first chance since all my new parts are installed, FI2000R and Intake. As soon as my speedometer hit 100 the bike cuts out untill I hit about 95 and then kicks back in untill I hit 100 agian. The dealer could not tell me if the bike is governed or not. What is the deal? I surely should be able to go faster than 100.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Thats wierd, I've had my Interstate up to 107 and that was before I had the cobra gear installed. They rate the top speed of the stock 1300 engine in the entire custom line at 115. Maybe the Interstate is set up different since it's a bagger.

I'll take her up again asap just to make certain, I may have been going slightly downhill, but it looked like flat road in the FL, Panhandle when I hit 107 (SR 20 north of Panama City and south of I-10). In fact I'm sure the bike had more in it, but I had to back off as I was coming up fast on the rear end of a logging truck when I did it last summer.

It's not really a big deal for me, I just come out fast and back off and cruise at around 70 mph for the most part anyway. I just did it that one time right at the end of my 600 mile break in just to see what it would do.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Ok here's what I'm thinking I hit 107 mph before I had the Cobra air intake/I2000R/Pipes installed. Maybe the extra torque added by the cobra kit is causing the RPM limiter to kick in at 100mph, because I haven't tried to do it since I had the kit installed. I'll head up to SR 20 and give it another try now that I have the cobra gear on. I know you two guys are set up pretty much the same way as I am, but I dont know if you tried your top end before or after your kits were installed.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never tried my top end before the upgrades so I dont know what I would have gotten. I did contact Honda Powersports and they told me that I am hitting my rev limiter. They told me to try the same thing in 2nd gear and see if I get the same result. I just though it odd that i would RPM out in 5th gear at 100mph. Wish I had a tach... Again though, not a real big deal. I dont need to go any faster than 100, but i wont be blowing the fenders off of any HD's like I did with my VTX. B)

·
Registered
593 Posts
No, but you'll look hotter and be more comfortable doing it then most Harley drivers. If you want to blow everyone off the road on a cruiser, you have to get a Triumph Thunderbird 1600/1700 cc. It's hard to beat a side by side twin with double over head cams for get down power. Honda is making a 1200cc V4 for a street ride. I sent them an email and told them they should drop that engine into a cruiser.

All bikes will have RPM limiters on them soon enough. V Twins are not really designed for high revs.

The other day a Harley driver was giving me hell about my rice burner and I told him, not only does it burn rice, but it can handle gas with up to a 15% ethanol mixture too. If the government increases the ethanol content in gas like they have been talking about, well be ready. A lot of Harley riders will be down waiting for a fix for their bikes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
All manufactures are putting rev-limiters, my local handa shop told me the Stateline is limited to 100 or 105. He told me he could get a device to bypass the rev-limiter for 150 bucks.

I have noticed that in 1st gear, once you hit 40, the bike states to lose RPMs. This is due to the limiter - Thank the governmaent and your insurance company.

If it is fun to do, the government and insurance company do not want you to do it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
The future of motorcycles:

Radiators (not so much to keep the engine cool, but to reduce harmful emissions)
Rev (RPM) limiters to both protect the engine and limit top end speeds
Fuel injection (reduced emissions/ethanol fuel mixtures)
two or more spark plugs per cyclinder (reduced emissions/ethanol fuel mixtures)

The day is coming when single plug cyclinders and carburators simply wont handle the ever increasing amount of ethanol in fuel and those bikes will have to be run on streight gas bought in cans at your dealership or fuel purchased at one of the few remaing ethanol free gas pumps left in the country. We have one station (8 miles away) here in Panama City Beach that still sells ethanol free gas. It's more expensive though.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Supposed to be 65 and sunny this afternoon. I changed pot setting #3 (red) from 0 to 3. After reading the instruction page on the FI2000R on Cobras website I found that this pot setting is for when your motor is trying to max.

"The right hand or red pot is for the fuel setting required when the engine is maximizing its R.P.M.
and power delivery. This pot is similar to the main jet in a carburetor. It will take a combination of
a minimum R.P.M. and a predetermined amount of engine load to initiate this fuel. The
straightaway on a racetrack or an inertia dyno are the best places to set this pot. Full exhaust
systems of high quality construction increase flow characteristics and may increase fuel demands
over our base settings. Also, air filters specifically designed for higher than stock airflow can
create need for higher fuel setting. Try an additional one-position pot setting at a time."

I will let you all know what I get today.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Ok Abbotdog, I downloaded the I2000R instructions from the cobra website. From what they say, it appears my dealer just tossed the thing in on it's base factory settings. I guess the base settings only accounts for adding pipes and not the powerflow air intake and they suggest there might be a need to increase Pot #3 (red) if a high performance airfilter/intake is installed. Of course we both have one of those. I'll wait for you to perform your testing and see what results you get before I go messing with mine. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I called and talked to a Cobra tech and he told me that 1-2-0 is where it should be set even with the powerflo intake. I am going to leave my settings alone for now as the bike is running great. I dont really need to be cruising around at 100+ mph anyway. If I dyno my bike I may tune it in better if needed but for now she runs awesome and I cant complain. Cobra and Honda both expressed extreme caution when riding the new 1300's at high speeds due to the rake. They will not handle very well at 100+. I was on a flat and straight highway when I tried to top out.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Now that my fuel pump issue (chaffed wires) is fixed mine runs great too. It did even before the wire thing. It does pop a bit when I drop down to in-town speeds after being at higher speeds on the highway for awhile. I find this a bit annoying, but thats my only little gripe.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have over 6000 miles on my bike now and it seems to run much looser then before. The rev limiter isn't much of a factor now. I think once you get your bike really broken in your engine produces more power at lower rpms and you get higher speeds out of it. At least thats what I'm seeing. Of course it could be the $13+ a quart racing oil I had put in at last oil change too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine has no mods and it does the same thing, it is getting prety anoying that my friends with HD can top at 105 m/h and i see them slowly leaving me behind... How can we fix this? I dont seem to notice any bad handling from the bike at 100mph comming down from Palm Beach to Broward on i-95 with no trafic for close to 3 min at that speed taking slight curves. The bike handle well, of course I asume the SPEED BIKE Position placing my feet in the back pegs and my head/helmet close to the gas tank... Yeah I know prety stupid but it handle just fine and it was fun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have all the cobra gear on my VT1300CRA or stateline and have had it up to 180klms or 115MPH, it had about 8000klms on the clock. Maybe the bikes are more detuned in the states than there are here in Australia

·
Registered
40 Posts
I really need a truthfull answer on this one. To all of you that have a stateline, have you tried to go faster than 100 miles per hour? Took the bike out today since it was really nice out and the first chance since all my new parts are installed, FI2000R and Intake. As soon as my speedometer hit 100 the bike cuts out untill I hit about 95 and then kicks back in untill I hit 100 agian. The dealer could not tell me if the bike is governed or not. What is the deal? I surely should be able to go faster than 100.
All I can get out of my stateline is 107. That does suck I know it has a lot more in it. You can buy a thing to over ride that setting in your computer.Even more money :angry:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine has no mods and it does the same thing, it is getting prety anoying that my friends with HD can top at 105 m/h and i see them slowly leaving me behind... How can we fix this? I dont seem to notice any bad handling from the bike at 100mph comming down from Palm Beach to Broward on i-95 with no trafic for close to 3 min at that speed taking slight curves. The bike handle well, of course I asume the SPEED BIKE Position placing my feet in the back pegs and my head/helmet close to the gas tank... Yeah I know prety stupid but it handle just fine and it was fun.
You put your feet on the buddy pegs? I'll have to try that while mines on the kick stand, don't think I want to try that a 100. I did get mine up to 95 on good road and the wheel woble got to bad to try any faster. I think having a 2up swicthblade on it may make a difference but not sure.

I really did not think too much about ever going much over 85, but just last night coming back from Medicine Park I was merging on the turnpike, checked the long traffic line coming, had plenty of room I thought then found out they were doing over 80 and had to decide whether to shut it down hard or get on it hard.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.