Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi all, getting ready to install my samson exhaust and was wanting to see if anyone has done their own installation , and if you have how was the install and do you have any install tips that you found while putting them on. Also did you have to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets, when you installed the new pipes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The install went fairly smoothly. There were only a couple of places that took some "thought"....

1. The cap nuts that lock down the headers are somewhat hidden behind the chrome shield during installation. Be careful when not to scratch and/or bend the shield when fitting a socket. I wasn't able to use end wrenches as I didn't have any short enough to clear. I ended up hand-fitting the socket first by pushing down on the shield, and then snapping on the ratchet handle.

2. The rear bracket didn't perfectly line up with the slots in the pipe brackets, and the alignment of the frame bracket ended up a bit slanted (not horizontal as you would expect). If this happens, look to see that you have the pipes parallel down their lower length. This can somewhat be adjusted by changing the balance on the header cap nuts. So get that done before tightening the rear bracket to the pipes.

As for the manifold gaskets, ALWAYS change them. Once they've been used, they cannot (should not) be re-used. They're only a few bucks, and not worth the hassle.

Hope that helps!
Randy
Hi all, getting ready to install my samson exhaust and was wanting to see if anyone has done their own installation , and if you have how was the install and do you have any install tips that you found while putting them on. Also did you have to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets, when you installed the new pipes.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I did mine myself and they were pretty tricky. I had to install with the sleeves on. As stated before the acorn nuts are pretty hard to get at. I actually scratched my black pipes when puting them on but a little high heat flat black paint and they touched up nicely. Just remember to be patient and go slow. Took me about an hour and half to take old off and put new on. YES, replace the gaskets.

Post some pics when your done. I want to see those pipes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts