Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide between the Sabre and the Stateline and was wondering why you chose the Saber over the Stateline. I know the obvious difference and have been leaning toward the Stateling mainly due the fatter front tire and the handlebars closer to the rider. I am 5'7" and have been riding and old CB750 for years to work and know the VT ride is going to be completly different. I just deserve a new bike and finally see something in the VT's that makes me want one too.

Thanks for for your opinions.

·
Registered
71 Posts
When I started shopping for a replacement after my last bike was wrecked, the Sabre was the closest to the style of bike I was looking for. The search ended then, it was just a matter of finding the best price! Ended up buying a red Sabre over the phone from a dealership in OKC. I've not regretted my decision one second! B)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I own the Stateline and ride it every day and love it more and more with each passing mile. For me, it was about ergonomics. The handlebars on the Sabre are drag bars and result in a slightly forward position as opposed to the Stateline which puts you back a little further so you can get your slouch on. Also, the seat is wider on the Stateline so it was able to support me a little better a little longer. I've also always liked the big fat front tires.

Then again, I'm a short round guy so it might not be the same for you.

·
jms412
112 Posts
I agree with Tdub...I like the way the handlebars are on the Stateline. I did a test ride on both and the Stateline was more comfortable. I am 5'10" and about 200lbs and it was way better than my old VTX1800. It was way top heavy and hard to push around in the garage. I really like my new bike and only wish I could put more miles on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with what tdub and jms412 are saying as i axperienced the same thing when i first test rode the Stateline. The other thing is that the Stateline is going to have a move confortable "long haul" ride VS the Sabre due to the larger front tire. After test riding both of these bikes for about 20 minutes each I still chose the Sabre. I've put 970 miles on it in about 11 days and haven't looked back!!!

Really depends on what you're going to do with it and how far you want to go. Also, and no offense to older guys out there, but I think that being a little younger means that I can put up with the more forward riding position on the Sabre.

My dad, who's 57, sat on my Sabre and immediately said he hated it. His exact qoute was, "there's no way you're going more than a 100 miles on that thing!!!!" He's used to riding his HD Road King with bars more like a Stateline.

That my 2 cents and hope it helps. You can ask all the questions you want, but for certain things you just have to get out there and try them both!

Good luck :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm no longer fence sitting. I used your advice to evaluate both and you were all right on the spot as for what I should compare between the 2. I now have 210 miles on my Stateline and looking at accessories. I already have date scheduled with Mean City Cycles to get my seat modded. The only problem I've had so far is my wife said "I think I can ride this one." We're looking for a used 750 Shadow or V Star in a couple of weeks. After some time on a dirt bike in the pasture and the mortor cycle training class.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Also, and no offense to older guys out there, but I think that being a little younger means that I can put up with the more forward riding position on the Sabre.

I'm guessing the breaking point must be around 55yrs. old! :p I'm only 53 and 5'6" tall and loving the Sabre! Granted, as soon as Genmar or Scootworks decide to make risers for the drag bars, I will buy a set to compensate for my short reach.
John, please keep us updated on the seat mod with Meancity cycles. I've had their website in my favorites and was planning on having them mod the seat on my Kawasaki this winter, but my 900 was forced into early retirement! :angry:

Gary

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am 33 years old and purchased a Stateline because I like the long fenders and the fat front tire. I dont think its an age thing. You just gotta buy what you like. You wont be upset with your choice the Stateline is an awesome starting point for a really cool bike.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Also, and no offense to older guys out there, but I think that being a little younger means that I can put up with the more forward riding position on the Sabre.

I'm guessing the breaking point must be around 55yrs. old! :p I'm only 53 and 5'6" tall and loving the Sabre! Granted, as soon as Genmar or Scootworks decide to make risers for the drag bars, I will buy a set to compensate for my short reach.
John, please keep us updated on the seat mod with Meancity cycles. I've had their website in my favorites and was planning on having them mod the seat on my Kawasaki this winter, but my 900 was forced into early retirement! :angry:

Gary
I'll let you know how the seat is as soon as get it back and checked out. I needs to be there on the 25th for its pre-op so it can be on its way back on the 26th. Seems like they're about a month out on their schedueling. It's nice to know 53 isn't old since I'm 53.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Shoot, I'm 61, just bought the Sabre about 2200 miles ago. It's just more my style. A slight forward lean is fine with me when your leaning into the wind! Road from Dallas to Baton Rouge one weekend, hit rain twice, it's all a state of mind. I am going to either get a new seat of have the stocker redone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As with most here, I choose the Sabre because the riding position was much more comfortable for me and I like the "Pro-Street" look too. I have been looking at various modifications to make it my own but as of yet, I've not found anything that I like. Maybe more chrome stuff, maybe a new seat for a bit more comfort on longer than 2 hour segments. Not sure. I do love riding it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got the seat back from MCC the other day and just got back from a 300 mile ride. Stopped for food and a meal only, about half way. The money I paid to get the seat fitted with memory foam was worth every penny. They did a great job and made the seat fit me. Before the mod I never could have lasted that long.

·
"Captain"
86 Posts
I'm no longer fence sitting. I used your advice to evaluate both and you were all right on the spot as for what I should compare between the 2. I now have 210 miles on my Stateline and looking at accessories. I already have date scheduled with Mean City Cycles to get my seat modded. The only problem I've had so far is my wife said "I think I can ride this one." We're looking for a used 750 Shadow or V Star in a couple of weeks. After some time on a dirt bike in the pasture and the mortor cycle training class.

Thanks guys.
My wife has the 750 Aero. Greatest thing I ever did to get her off the back of my bike. Funny-She doesn't like that I still say she's riding bitch, just on her own bike. Huh...wives!

Reactions: idahokathy
1 - 16 of 16 Posts