Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to stiffen up the supspenion and do not know how. I adjusted the damping switch and that was not enough. Does anyone know how or if you can adjust the actual rear shock?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am trying to stiffen up the supspenion and do not know how. I adjusted the damping switch and that was not enough. Does anyone know how or if you can adjust the actual rear shock?
Hi Jaks,

The Damping switch controls the "Rebound", that is how quickly or slowly the Shock returns to the original position after being compressed. You need to adjust the "pre-load". This is done by removing the seat. You can then see the top of the Shock. You need a "c" wrench (spanner in Australia), they used to be part of the tool kit with the older Hondas but we don't get that anymore. You loosen the top (locking) nut and adjust the tension on the shock with the second nut. You may need several goes until you are happy with the stiffness of the suspension. Re-tighten the top nut when you are happy.
I am 185 lb and my pillion is 170 so we touch down quite regularly without this process. While Honda advertise that the pre-load is adjustable they don't tell you in the handbook how to do it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Jaks,

The Damping switch controls the "Rebound", that is how quickly or slowly the Shock returns to the original position after being compressed. You need to adjust the "pre-load". This is done by removing the seat. You can then see the top of the Shock. You need a "c" wrench (spanner in Australia), they used to be part of the tool kit with the older Hondas but we don't get that anymore. You loosen the top (locking) nut and adjust the tension on the shock with the second nut. You may need several goes until you are happy with the stiffness of the suspension. Re-tighten the top nut when you are happy.
I am 185 lb and my pillion is 170 so we touch down quite regularly without this process. While Honda advertise that the pre-load is adjustable they don't tell you in the handbook how to do it.

Hope this helps.
Thanks I will try that tomorrow.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi Jaks,

Hope this helps.
found it...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mine has not nearly enough sag and the rings are all the way out, flush with a line. Despite a hammer and punch I can not get the lock ring to separate from the adjusting ring. Both move together and only about 5mm.

·
Being a fat Asian kid means I'm & Buddha on a bike
1,890 Posts
found it...
Hey Nbrs, what size is it? Where did you get it? And what did it cost you?

Mine has not nearly enough sag and the rings are all the way out, flush with a line. Despite a hammer and punch I can not get the lock ring to separate from the adjusting ring. Both move together and only about 5mm.
A small amount of penetrating oil and let it sit, before trying again. Try the actual spanner wrenches, for more leverage, just to get them separated, before adjusting and locking them together again.

You can also try a small C-clamp, and tilt it a little, setting the feet on the different rings and applying a little brute force.

Hey Jaks. Welcome to the family and to the fun. Shouting out from St Louis.

If you get a minute, start a new thread under the 'Introduce yourself'. And then introduce yourself!

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Burnsey you better check the dates on these posts lol these guys haven't been around for a few years.

Reactions: StPeteAPB and Bob J

·
I wont call you Betty, but you CAN can call me Al
1,551 Posts
you need to break the TOP one loose, first. a simple screwdriver and hammer will break it loose.

also, jack the bike up and get the rear wheel off the ground to relieve pressure on the spring.

·
Being a fat Asian kid means I'm & Buddha on a bike
1,890 Posts
Hahahahaha....that's funny Bob! Japanese, Chinese...whatever...we all look alike!

Thanks Tom for looking out for me!

·
Registered
50 Posts
solved and so simple, bought wrench I didn't need. Perhaps these things that look like ears are really entry and exit wounds.

Granny, why'd you put cigarette butts in boys ears, to keep the boy out of the draft? NO, to keep the draft out of the boy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts