Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
I came home from work today to find mr sanity had surprised me with a phone charger in my saddle bag. I had talked about it for awhile, but it was not at the top of the list. I did not want anything on the handlebars. I'm leaving shortly on a 3000 mile trip, so it will be nice to have the option to charge on the go. Until now, I would not take as many pic with my phone as I wanted to preserve the battery as I traveled. I have a Nokia Lumia, and it takes great pics, so it will be nice to have the option to take more pics.

He did a great job. The charger bracket is mounted on the saddle bag bolt. The wires for the charger go through a small hole drilled in the bag. He sealed it with silicone after I took the pic. The charger is connected directly to the battery.

I took 2 quick pics -

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Nice that looks awesome. God job Jeff. When are you leaving and which way did you decide to go??

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first trip is to Texas, leaving July 5, then looping back further north to head back to NV. August trip heading to Torrey, UT to meet up with friends then Florence, OR via Twin Falls, and I don't which yet from Twin Falls, and don't know yet after OR. Every August I visit OR and then say I'm not coming home because of the cooler weather and lush surroundings, lol. Then my employer and family get impatient, darn them!

·
WHYNOT
745 Posts
Nice added accessory, had that thought a few times myself, just need to do it :)

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Well you have to do what you have to do for family lol. Will be headed to California sometime in August to make a visit. If you happen to know what date I may ride a way's with you just for fun. Have to get the bike serviced again it's at 5,000 miles already sure if you were riding it would have 10,000 by now lol.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't listen to music or use my phone while riding, so it going in the bag is ok for me. The wires are all hidden which is important to me.

The mount is sturdy - I was concerned about bumping it or breaking it, but it's up high, I think it will be good.

·
I wont call you Betty, but you CAN can call me Al
1,551 Posts
I have this USB to SAE plug from BurnsMoto:

http://burnsmoto.com/usb-power-socket-weatherproof.php

I hook it up to my battery tender pigtail and throw the iPhone and the cable in my side saddlebag.

Last time I did this, the phone barely charged.

I got home and checked all the fuses -- all fine. I checked and reconnected -- phone starts to charge.

I checked that the pigtail still put out voltage when the bike is running -- works just fine.

I wonder if the heat in that hard bag kept it from getting charged on the hour+ ride back home that day?

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have this USB to SAE plug from BurnsMoto:
http://burnsmoto.com/usb-power-socket-weatherproof.php

I hook it up to my battery tender pigtail and throw the iPhone and the cable in my side saddlebag.

Last time I did this, the phone barely charged.
I got home and checked all the fuses -- all fine. I checked and reconnected -- phone starts to charge.
I checked that the pigtail still put out voltage when the bike is running -- works just fine.

I wonder if the heat in that hard bag kept it from getting charged on the hour+ ride back home that day?
That's how mine hooks up. But I made mine. Wish I seen that earlier

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: I've used and abuse the charger, and it has not budged. mr sanity did a great job of securely mounting it. I shove my gym bag in there, every time forgetting about the charge until AFTER.

I have used the charger a few times now. It is slow to charge. It works fine and the connection from charger to cord to phone is stable and does not come loose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.