Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped at the local dealer today as the weather seems to be getting warmer around here. Today I ordered the Cobra Powerflo air intake system (black of course), The FI2000R fuel management system, the hondaline tall backrest with pad, the mounting brackets for sissy bar, Mustang wide touring seat, and the 12 x 9 sissy bar pad that matches the seat. The sissy bar and brackets are being powder coated black by a local shop before install. I will update pics as soon as everything is installed. Cannot wait.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the tall back rest and the mustang touring seat, love them. I was worried the seat was going to detract from the sleek look, but it was not noticeable by my riding buddies.

After months of debate, I finally put the Memphis shades batwing fairing - so far so good, the bike still looks sleek - must admit, i am a tall guy (6'1") and I have the 5 inch shield. still get lots of wind in the face, but it has cut down on the wind trying to rip my helmet of at 80 mph

I am thinking about getting saddle bags, but that too will take some debates

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the tall back rest and the mustang touring seat, love them. I was worried the seat was going to detract from the sleek look, but it was not noticeable by my riding buddies.

After months of debate, I finally put the Memphis shades batwing fairing - so far so good, the bike still looks sleek - must admit, i am a tall guy (6'1") and I have the 5 inch shield. still get lots of wind in the face, but it has cut down on the wind trying to rip my helmet of at 80 mph

I am thinking about getting saddle bags, but that too will take some debates
Post some photos of your bike. Would like to see the mustang seat and backrest installed and really want to see the fairing. I am also thinking of fairing and bags. When done I will call her my Honda "Stateglide". B)

·
Registered
593 Posts
if you got the batwing you should be able to get a bigger shield for it. Most batwings have interchangable shields that fit on them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I put the mustang wide touring seat and cobra pipes on my bike last week and they are great.

The seat is so much more comfortable than the stock seat you lose a little bit of the sport loook but wile your a*s is in it you wont care.

The pipes sound and look great, no need to put a power comander they do not spit or backfire in any gear and idle smooth.
Installation was a little bit of a bitch the top bolt for the mounting bracket is very hard to get the nut on and even hader to get a wrench in there to tighten it. Took about 45 min to get that step done the rest took about 45 min to finish the install.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My tuner and intake are in. The honda line backrest and brackets show up tomorrow. Everything will be installed at the end of the week then i will remove the backrest setup and send it off to powder coat. My mustang seat unfortunately is on backorder untill April. Lame

·
Registered
593 Posts
Tommy,

The PGFI tuner probably isn't needed for just pipes, but if you add a cobra or other air intake you'll want the tuner.

·
Registered
58 Posts
here is my bike with fairing, mustang seat and tall backrest, I must admit, I am a tall guy and while the 5" shield keeps the bugs off, heaver items like rain drops and rocks do come through. I am ordering the 9" clear shield to see if it will work with rain.

Hope this helps, I thing the sleek look is still there and the wind protection is a big plus at 60+ mph. My riding buddy thinks I should paint the fairing the same color as the bike, but I am thinking of getting some skulls put on it.

Also, anyone have tips on sealing the leather holes on the seat. Mustang mentioned some use pledge on the seat, building wax up in the stitch holes. Not too thrilled about putting pledge on the seat making it a slip and slide. Not too thrilled with seat cover - same sort of issue, the cover mat make me slide around in the curves.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Here is an update. I mocked up the sissy bar so the fender was drilled and ready to go. I removed the sissy bar and it is off to powder coat. The intake looks really good in my opinion. I forgot to take the side cover off and take a picture of the FI2000R mounted inside but I will post soon. Too bad we still have snow on the ground. Would have liked to take her for a spin today.

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
If you look in your book, you can take off the chrome spark plug covers and have them powder coated too, if your really want to go black. That will black out the whole upper end of the engine.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you look in your book, you can take off the chrome spark plug covers and have them powder coated too, if your really want to go black. That will black out the whole upper end of the engine.
I thought about just painting those myself since they are just plastic. Should be able to put a flat black coat on them and be fine. Also want to keep a little chrome on the bike for contrast as I wont be changing the forks. For instance the backrest setup is going to be gloss black but the hardware is staying chrome.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah. They sound great. Did your FI2000R take care of the backfiring and popping? I was looking into getting one.
Due to weather I have not even rode the bike since they put all these parts on. I will say that I never had an issue with backfiring before. I run premium fuel in my bike. The only reason I went with the FI2000R is because I added the intake. If not for that I would have left it alone.

·
Registered
112 Posts
here is my bike with fairing, mustang seat and tall backrest, I must admit, I am a tall guy and while the 5" shield keeps the bugs off, heaver items like rain drops and rocks do come through. I am ordering the 9" clear shield to see if it will work with rain.

Hope this helps, I thing the sleek look is still there and the wind protection is a big plus at 60+ mph. My riding buddy thinks I should paint the fairing the same color as the bike, but I am thinking of getting some skulls put on it.

Also, anyone have tips on sealing the leather holes on the seat. Mustang mentioned some use pledge on the seat, building wax up in the stitch holes. Not too thrilled about putting pledge on the seat making it a slip and slide. Not too thrilled with seat cover - same sort of issue, the cover mat make me slide around in the curves.
how much did ya spend on your batwing? if ya dont mind me asking

·
Registered
5 Posts
Stopped at the local dealer today as the weather seems to be getting warmer around here. Today I ordered the Cobra Powerflo air intake system (black of course), The FI2000R fuel management system, the hondaline tall backrest with pad, the mounting brackets for sissy bar, Mustang wide touring seat, and the 12 x 9 sissy bar pad that matches the seat. The sissy bar and brackets are being powder coated black by a local shop before install. I will update pics as soon as everything is installed. Cannot wait.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts