Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when goin on long runs my right hand goes numb if i wiggle my fingers some feeling comes back ,now why does it go numb is it 1.vibration,2.holding open the throttle i.e spring pressure or 3. is it a larger grip giveing my hand cramp.my left hand does not get any of this at all. <_<

·
WHYNOT
745 Posts
Could be any of those, grip to tight? I don't have that with my Interstate, but get it a lot with my HD.

·
Registered
593 Posts
solution = breakaway throtle lock. Mine cost $145 US dollars. Get up to cruise speed, set lock and then just need right hand to stear. Has a button to unlock or in an emergency your hand break will unlock it. Should be able to find one on just about any motorcycle parts web site.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use a Crampbuster. The throttle boss is the same concept. Works great except i don't like it in town but it was only $8.

Aethelwolf, what kind of throttle lock do you have? My old man tried one but found it to be faulty (this could easily be a user error). I think if you don't mind spending the cabbage this is the better solution.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Just google or yahoo Breakaway throttle lock. It can give you fits if you don't have the breakaway tab adjusted right, but it only takes a minute to adjust and once you do it stays locked until you unlock it. I got mine from the Honda Dealer when I bought the bike. They had them in stock. Went on in less then 30 minutes. The fit all bikes so fitment isn't a problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My right hand does the same on my Sabre. Don't know if it's riding position or vibration. At the LA Calendar Bike show a guy had a cool cruise control that just slips over the grip. You use your index finger to push it against the brake lever and then let go. I didn't buy one but should have, gonna order one online and suck up the shipping cost. It's called Go Cruise Throttle Control at 2wheelride.com. Anybody ever seen this before? Seemed to work great on the mock handlebars he had at the show. Cheap to, 20-25 bucks.

·
Registered
382 Posts
My right hand does the same on my Sabre. Don't know if it's riding position or vibration. At the LA Calendar Bike show a guy had a cool cruise control that just slips over the grip. You use your index finger to push it against the brake lever and then let go. I didn't buy one but should have, gonna order one online and suck up the shipping cost. It's called Go Cruise Throttle Control at 2wheelride.com. Anybody ever seen this before? Seemed to work great on the mock handlebars he had at the show. Cheap to, 20-25 bucks.
Did you ever order the go cruise and how do you like it?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I don't know if this is an option you would prefer, but here goes.... I have the Kuryakyn ISO grips. Between those grips and my gloves, there is enough friction that I can just lay the palm of my hand on the throttle and keep it open. Maybe that would be a solution....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have not ordered the go cruise yet. Thinking about some custom grips and don't know if the go cruise will work with they style I'm looking at. Waiting til football season is over when I have more time to ride to decide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you are running the stock Honda grips, you are going to have this problem MAJOR LEAGUE because of the vibration that the original grips pass through to your hands. Changing to the Kuryakyn ISO (isolation) grips will help TREMENDOUSLY; however, it won't completely fix the problem on a long ride. The Break-Away Cruise Control works great and helps avoid the numbness. It is a combination of the vibration and the grip you have to keep on the throttle. Easing both will ease the numbness issue.

·
Registered
42 Posts
After reading this last year i bought this thing and then my dad bought this thing and then one riding buddy and then another...you get the point. Its $20 and well worth it! At some point i will probably upgrade to the breakaway but until then this might be the best $20 i have spent on my bike yet.

WARNING! Codependency may result. Do NOT get this little ditty if you don't want to need some sort of throttle lock from that day forward. Before i got it, the crampbuster worked great but that just doesn't cut the mustard anymore.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the Go Cruise and LOVE it.

I had the Breakaway on my VTX and it's great too - but for that price I can buy 6 or 7 Go Cruise's.....

http://www.2wheelrid...ttle_order.html
Saw this and thought "What a great idea", so I ordered one immediately... One question though, will it work with the stock mirrors? The day after I ordered I was looking at my Stateline thinking, "How is this going to work with the mirrors in the way?"

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had the same problem ok my Sabre. I went to a Chiropractor and he said my spine rib was twisted putting too much pressure on my muscles. After two visits I no longer have that problem.
I think what he's getting at is that all the ribs are attached to the spine. If one of them dislocates even slightly then it can put pressure on the neurovascular bundle that exits the spine at the Intervertebral Foramen by the 1st and 2nd rib and travels through the muscle and down the arm to innervate the hand. By removing the interference caused by the pressure of the rib being dislocated (subluxated) he no longer gets the tingling into his wrist when riding. :) Good call!

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you don't have a throttle lock, or and advanced form of cruise control, then of course you will have issues,with the throttle hand. The left hand can sneak in all kinds of rest breaks you don't even realize. I find myself dropping the left hand all the time while cruising. this affords a "break " from the grip of the handle bar that the throttle hand doesn't get without a throttle control.

I had the same problem ok my Sabre. I went to a Chiropractor and he said my spine rib was twisted putting too much pressure on my muscles. After two visits I no longer have that problem.
It could also be that your hip was out of adjustment, caused by the imbalance of your wallet, which the visit to the the chiropractor fixed at payment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts