Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The UPS guy dropped on my new stuff yesterday and I installed them this morning.

The Mustang seat with backrest is great. My ride to work should let me arrive without numb buns. It will take some getting used to, since I feel like I'm riding on a stack of phone books compared to the low riding stock saddle.

The Memphis Shades Lowers (MEM9891 mounting kit) are phenomenal. Mounting was straight forward. I mounted right at the top of the lower fork cover, with the brackets in the "up" position; the clamps are in the first slot, and I used the larger tightening screw. All hardware clears everything when turning the handlebars full left or right. On my test ride, the wind buffeting my head is gone now up to 60 mph or so. And I can hear the motor. On the highway test at 70 - 90, I still got enough buffeting over the top of the windshield to make things a bit less than pleasant. I think the added height of the Mustang Saddle contributes to this too (plus I'm 6' 1"). When I put my left arm across in front of and ahead of the top of my helmet, all buffeting stopped. So, I'll probably order a laminar lip for the top of the windshield next, since I can't seem to find any type of taller windshield.

Before I go on my first road trip in a few weeks, I'll need to experiment with removing the driver backrest, and just use the Kuryakyn dresser as a back support. We'll see. I'll post pics of everything in the next day or too.

I think I feel a Sunday morning breakfast run coming on.

·
Registered
195 Posts
BB,

Thank you for the detailed update. When you have a moment, please let us know what lower part number you got. Maybe I am confused though... Is the MEM9891 the whole kit? Or just the mount kit?

Looking forward to ordering mine soon!

- Larry

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mounting kit is part # MEM9891. For the actual lowers, I ordered the clear color, which is part #MEP5810. I didn't think any of the tinted lowers would look good on the bike. Am enjoying a more enjoyable ride. Now, I just need to figure a way to deflect the hot furnace blast from the radiator fan when I'm stopped at a traffic light.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The mounting kit is part # MEM9891. For the actual lowers, I ordered the clear color, which is part #MEP5810. I didn't think any of the tinted lowers would look good on the bike. Am enjoying a more enjoyable ride. Now, I just need to figure a way to deflect the hot furnace blast from the radiator fan when I'm stopped at a traffic light.
Just curious, but are you using the Memphis Shades lowers successfully with the OEM windshield? If so, that is awesome!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just curious, but are you using the Memphis Shades lowers successfully with the OEM windshield? If so, that is awesome!
Yes, it's mounted with the OEM windshield. The tint of the plastic is slightly different - the lowers are thicker than the windshield plastic. Not really noticeable unless you are looking for it. I have about a half inch gap between the windshield and the lowers. And, to make the lines flow, the lowers are set out in front of the windshield slightly. Again, I'll post photos in a day or two.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, it's mounted with the OEM windshield. The tint of the plastic is slightly different - the lowers are thicker than the windshield plastic. Not really noticeable unless you are looking for it. I have about a half inch gap between the windshield and the lowers. And, to make the lines flow, the lowers are set out in front of the windshield slightly. Again, I'll post photos in a day or two.
That rocks! I've already ordered mine. I can't begin to tell you how thankful I am that you found and posted this. The buffeting was really driving me crazy. The bike was nearly perfect except for this and now that looks resolved. What a relief!!! I checked out Memphis Shades site and they have some blatant errors around this issue. First they call the 2010-2011 Sabre/Stateline VT series a VTX series (a minor issue). But more importantly they also don't call out the Interstate separately. And though the Stateline and Interstate are very, very similar, the covered forks on the Interstate make calling it out separately obviously very important. Needless to say I've wrote them about this. Thank you so much again for yours and kcwildguy's post!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I picked mine up at Iron Pony on Monday and installed them that night. With the weather being what it was, I did not get a high speed ride until yesterday. Bottom line: I can now go up to 70 mph without feeling like I'm sitting on a subwoofer, inside a wind tunnel.

Mine are mounted in the up position with the lowers actually overlapping the stock screen very slightly and aligned vertically with the edge of the shock cover. This keeps all of the hardware above the fork cross brace so that if something comes loose, it will slide down an inch and rattle without falling into a spinning wheel.

Thanks to BB for the great information! The $80 worth of hardware and 20 minutes of time to mount were definitely worth it...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I picked mine up at Iron Pony on Monday and installed them that night. With the weather being what it was, I did not get a high speed ride until yesterday. Bottom line: I can now go up to 70 mph without feeling like I'm sitting on a subwoofer, inside a wind tunnel.

Mine are mounted in the up position with the lowers actually overlapping the stock screen very slightly and aligned vertically with the edge of the shock cover. This keeps all of the hardware above the fork cross brace so that if something comes loose, it will slide down an inch and rattle without falling into a spinning wheel.

Thanks to BB for the great information! The $80 worth of hardware and 20 minutes of time to mount were definitely worth it...
Glad to help. I've got to wonder why there was no Hondaline option for lowers. Certainly, when Honda road tested these bikes, they knew buffeting was going to be a problem.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Glad to help. I've got to wonder why there was no Hondaline option for lowers. Certainly, when Honda road tested these bikes, they knew buffeting was going to be a problem.
You would certainly think so.

However, I am 6'1" with a 30" inseam. What does that mean? It means I have stubby legs and a tall body. My head down to my chin is completely above the windscreen. I'm thinking that the average Japanese test rider does not stick up as high as I do.

Just a thought....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Had my husband install the lowers today. They make a huge difference. At 65 to 70 mpg, I start to get a little buffeting, but it is not near as bad. Hopefully, my headache (literally) is cured! :) I posted a pic in the gallery (album My Ride (wes_ben)).

·
Registered
195 Posts
Had my husband install the lowers today. They make a huge difference. At 65 to 70 mpg, I start to get a little buffeting, but it is not near as bad. Hopefully, my headache (literally) is cured! :) I posted a pic in the gallery (album My Ride (wes_ben)).
From what I can see in the picture, it looks like yours is installed just like mine, only a half inch or so lower on the fork.

I like the color of your bike too.... But I like my cupholder better! ;)

·
Registered
426 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Kind of like the chrome look and was considering ordering a pair of these in hopes that they would fit. Anyone have an idea of the fitment on these and whether or not they will work on an Interstate?
Memphis Shades website isn't the best, but I recall when I bought mine that the VTX1300 and VT1300 both called out the MEM9891 mount. If that's the case, then I don't see why any other clamp-on lower would not fit equally on both.

Just my $0.02....

·
Registered
426 Posts
Memphis Shades website isn't the best, but I recall when I bought mine that the VTX1300 and VT1300 both called out the MEM9891 mount. If that's the case, then I don't see why any other clamp-on lower would not fit equally on both.

Just my $0.02....
Yeah, that was my thought process as well. Thanks for the feedback. Think I'm going to take a stab at these.

I've Determined that most of the buffeting is wind coming up from right in front of my knees so I hope these work. I'm getting just a little over the top of my windshield as well, but that's minimal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I installed the Mustang Wide Touring seat...and the Memphis Lowers. It doesn't cut out all the buffeting...but it certainly does help. I'm 6'2" so the stock windscreen at 21 inches is probably an inch or two short...but I can live with it.

Besides...it's a motorcycle...it's supposed to be a bit windy ; )

1 - 20 of 35 Posts