Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have seen reflections from others regarding achieving some comfort on the VT1300 Stateline :)

Wanted to describe my personal experience(s) in hopes that it will help someone in the similar situation.

So, this is equipment description post. I'm planning to contribute a few more about the equipment I installed that helped me in the comfort area.

I'm 6' at about 225lb. Turbulence and buffeting on this ride was a bit overwhelming for me.

Even when using a rather slim profile full face helmet (Arai Profile) my head was being whipped.

That had to change :rolleyes:

The following solved it for my build:

Memphis Shades

Batwing Fairing Part: 2330-0023

Trigger Lock Mounting Kit Black Part: 2321-0180

(you can go with all polished kit as well)

Spoiler Batwing Windshield 9" Ghost Part: 2350-0171

(I went with Ghost, but you also have Smoke and Solar options)

A word on the spoiler. According to some reviews, 9" spoiler actas as a 13-14 inch windshield without obsrtucting your vision.

I have noticed various road debris and bugs :blink: kind flow above my head and get deflected just like in the manufacturers air flow graphic on this link:

http://www.memphisshades.com/metric-shades/batwing-windshields-metric/spoiler-batwing-windshields-metric

After fairing was installed, difference was dramatic!

Now that the upper torso and head wind was managed, I began to pay more attention to the turbulence that made me feel like someone was rolling up my pants :D

burnsey166 suggested clips, that hold your pants "down" :p

I went a slightly different route and installed Memphis Shades fork mounted Wind Deflectors.

To install on Stateline you will need two items:

Memphis Shades

Lowers Mount Kit Polished: MEM9888

Custom Lowers Plastic Gradient Black: MEP5811

Lowers come in all colors of the rainbow...

After install, I'd say that turbulence coming up vertically has been reduced to a pleasant breeze B)

One note, yesterday we had a windy afternoon. Perfect time to get some of the above mods tested.

Side wind guts do require more concentration now and you feel it a lot more.

It is to be expected since the drag surface has been increased.

But head wind.... LOL meh... light breeze! B)

Anyways, that is my personal experience. I hope it helps someone.

I'm always to happy to share any details about install and answer any questions.

Ride safe!

https://flic.kr/p/GSe4cN
P.S. I seem to have ran out of my attachment upload limit today.

I'm linking a picture of what the lowers look like with Fairing. Please let me know if it is not view able.

Thank you.

·
I wont call you Betty, but you CAN can call me Al
1,551 Posts
OK, so I got my deflectors (2350-0143) and brackets (2321-0166) today.

The brackets' packaging reads "69-78mm".
Well, those brackets are WAY TOO big for my down tubes.

So, was there a smaller bracket to order or do you all have a trick for adding "filler" to snug these up?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heya StPeteAPB!

Smaller bracket definitely...

Bracket:

Lowers Mount Kit Polished: MEM9888

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Memphis-Shades-Fats-Slim-Sportshield-Lowers-Hardware-MEM9888-/142089259127?hash=item21152e0877:g:m~IAAOSw6n5XtQ2R&vxp=mtr

I see you've also ordered Long Lower Deflectors in Clear. I hope you can clear those signal light brackets.

I went with Black, shorter ones in 8" length.

Here they are in clear:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Memphis-Shades-Custom-Lowers-8-H-Clear-/331959655343?hash=item4d4a565baf:g:EiwAAOSwvzRXy582&vxp=mtr

Hope this helps :D

Ride safe,

Arty

·
1,551 Posts
Yeah - I wanted deflectors, not lowers.

So, now I wonder if the brackets for lowers will work with deflectors.

I cannot return the "opened" package to Dennis Kirk for credit/replacement. :-(

·
Registered
602 Posts
I think there might be something lost in their naming convention here...

I did purchase lower fork deflectors... they are not the lowers (which I think are those extra pieces that extend the side-wings of your fairing).

But on eBay they are called lowers... Go figure... :blink:

This pic shows mine... that's pretty much how I have them mounted.

http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a442/arthurgr/CB550/VTCAFE/IMG_11623sm_zpsurcha4fv.jpg

They even worked with Fairing and Honda-line Light bar combo, that I've installed yesterday. Worked out perfect! Pics to follow.

Let me know if you need any measurements, I'll measure tonight.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very kinky!
And innovative! :)
Post highway test results!

Ride safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All of us here have a bit of MacGuver in us... Some more, some less! Adhesive Weather Stripping...

·
1,551 Posts
Well, walked out in the garage this morning and the one clamp is walking off the foam tape w/o having moved the bike.

Gonna wind up selling these 'cause Dennis Kirk doesn't permit credit on opened products (or these, anyway).

·
Registered
602 Posts
Well that was a real good try...
Perhaps, someone can chime in and suggest something better?
Except Burnsey of course... I don't think duct tape and chopsticks will be esthetically pleasing with these deflectors...

Reactions: StPeteAPB

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't give up!

The idea to mount on fork covers is actually pretty cool.

Maybe you can get rid of that "the offset of a partial fill of the void" with that stuff you got?

If you buy smaller brackets, you'll be forced to move your signals up, and mount under them.

Also, then you'll have cut the deflectors to size... That's just what it looks like to me base on the pic above.

Keep on it! -_-

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congrats on full refund! (I think) ;)

Well, I've read this post from T Man with some nice illustrations.

http://www.vtcafe.com/cafe/index.php?showtopic=8385

Went almost that route. Mounted just like he did BUT, did not cut the deflectors.

As you can see from his post, holding brackets mount above the "fork shelf" (not sure what is the proper term for it)

So, I was forced to slide signals a quarter inch below my Batwing and mount defectors under them.

The again, there is a post here from drhobbs:

http://www.vtcafe.com/cafe/index.php?showtopic=3417 with this picture: http://www.vtcafe.com/cafe/uploads/gallery/album_60/640x480xmed_gallery_1657_60_1565204.jpg.pagespeed.ic.6rPyubT1i6.jpg

Where he mounted deflectors below the "shelf" this is a 3 year old post, I hope that install was changed... too me it looks wrong, since if you encounter a nice pot hole... your forks and you deflector mounting hardware might decide... to spontaneously mate... if you get my drift ;)

In you case, you also have longer deflectors... Fitting them and mounting right below signals might take some effort and finesse!

Of which you have plenty of course! :D

These are all rumblings... from my ill little mind... just trying to help.

·
1,551 Posts
Perfect - got it.

My issue is I hate the taller windshield on my fairing.

And, the buffeting may or may not be solved by lowers.

If I ride tonight, I'll put on the highway bar chaps to see if it's improved.

If so, I'll consider lowers to completely lock out the updraft from below.

Thanks!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I was considering chaps but, they look like they are blocking air circulation to cylinders (yes we have liquid but air cool is still needed). Anyways, cool stuff.
Share your experiments and experiences lol! :D

Reactions: burnsey166
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.