Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks...anyone out there lower their Interstate yet? Progressive does not sell a lowering shock yet but I saw an outfit (low and mean) that has a lowering spring to fit the stock rear shock that is supposed to lower the bike by 1.25 inches. Thoughts? Experience? Other ideas?

·
Registered
593 Posts
My thoughts are: The most important thing to look for when buying a motorcycle is the fit. Doesn't matter what make or model, their all engineered well. Just get the one that fits you best and don't worry about what others think. My Interstate is my 7th motorcycle. I bought it because it fit me better then any other bike I tried out. I would really like to have a Honda VTX 1800 or Yamaha Stratoliner Delux, but neither fit me as well as my Interstate, so I'm hanging on to it. Maybe someday I'll find something I like, that fits me well, but there is nothing out there right now that fits me as good as my Interstate. Guess I'll have to run it into the ground and get another.

·
WHYNOT
745 Posts
I think the Interstate sits pretty low already. I have a little over 9K on mine, the little wear bars on the bottom of my floor boards are about half gone. There is still about an inch of tire that don't get to the road. I wouldn't want mine any lower as a "rider", if I was going for the cool factor and didn't plan on riding much..... I'd maybe lower it??

Your comfort and handling will suffer if you lower your bike. If you need it lower so you can handle the bike better, then it may be worth it. I'm thinking you'd have to be pretty short in the leg for an Interstate to be to high though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lower center of gravity is always the best as far as handling and safety. My desire to lower the Interstate is just about that...not the looks. There are engineers that have shown that lowering the bike (when done properly by trained technicians with tested materials) actually provides a better ride and more safety. Having said that - its all about comfort so if your bike fits well than it should not be messed with. My feet are solid on the ground (even with my 28 inch inseam)....however, I like a little more bend in my knee. I have a 750 Aero that had the lowest seat height available...then but progrressives on them....man...the comfort, for me, was worth every penny. If I could lower the Interstate by an inch or two...I'll be in heaven.

By the way...this forum is awesome! I was able to put my memphis shades fairing (from my Aero) on my interstate because of lessons learned here....got those stock stickers off my bike with help from this forum (and my wife's hair dryer). Its good to have a group of experienced folks to provide advice and opinions on these matters!

·
Administrator
4,971 Posts
Lower center of gravity is always the best as far as handling and safety.
I would partially agree with you here, except when ground & cornering clearance is compromised.
Your bike rides low enough now, and has a limited shock travel, something around 3.9" of travel, it's better than a rigid Sportster, but it's nooo GoldWing.
Lowering the bike would require making the rear suspension stiffer, thus you'll lose travel - now you're moving closer to that wonderful rigid feel. <_<

Honda engineers, who for the most part do a good job sorting things out, like suspension, probably have this bike pretty much in its "Sweet spot" already. Until Progressive comes out with some adjustable air shocks, or something that can really improve ride and handling, I'd say don't mess with it.

Other than switching bikes, I'd say go with inserts & thicker heels on your boots, these aren't sport bikes, so cornering isn't really their "Meat & potatos"

Your suspension change might be fine, if you live in a place that has small or no corners to lean into, and pool table smooth roads.

But just remember, Jesus loves you, so please ride safe Bro......cause, you don't want to go to Heaven - because of Mickey Mouse suspension mods. ;)

Just my 2¢ worth. B) but in the end it's your bike, so do what you want. What do I know any way, I have a Sabre, and a rigid Sportster. :wacko:

·
Registered
986 Posts
Hey folks...anyone out there lower their Interstate yet? Progressive does not sell a lowering shock yet but I saw an outfit (low and mean) that has a lowering spring to fit the stock rear shock that is supposed to lower the bike by 1.25 inches. Thoughts? Experience? Other ideas?
But is this spring going to lower, and slightly shift the weight, in the area you really want to get the desired effect? It's not going to affect the center of gravity as much as you'd want, as something that would lower the seat and tank is it?

I, too have a 28" inseam, and like Aethelwolf, was really wanting the VTX 1800 or the Yamaha. In fact, on specs alone, I had pretty much decided on the Yamaha when I was ready to go sit on bikes. I had already discounted the Interstate, and crossed it off my list. Well, I sat on the Yamaha, flat foot, felt great. But I couldn't get my legs wrapped around the tank to reach the controls. I kept looking, still not wanting the Interstate (my main concern before riding it was the wheel base length). The salesman I worked with finally persuaded me to sit on an Interstate, and that was it. It's the first bike ever where I sat on the bike and really felt like "this is my bike".

Make sure to keep us posted on what you decide to do!

·
Registered
215 Posts
It's the first bike ever where I sat on the bike and really felt like "this is my bike".
Me too! I sat on a number of different bikes before taking a Yamaha for a ride. It was okay, but I didn't get that immediate feeling. I'm sure I could have gotten used to it, but I wanted to LOVE my new bike right away. When I took the Interstate for a ride, I knew in about 30 seconds that this was the bike for me. <3

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think the Interstate sits pretty low already. I have a little over 9K on mine, the little wear bars on the bottom of my floor boards are about half gone. There is still about an inch of tire that don't get to the road. I wouldn't want mine any lower as a "rider",
I have the same thoughts. I wouldn't want mine any lower. I am afraid I would start dragging hard parts too much in the corners. I hit bottom one time pretty hard coming into a gas station. There was a hump in the concrete and the frame hit. I actually got off and got down to look to make sure I didn't damage anything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yea I bought the spring from low and mean, the heavy duty one.
It does feel better in the saddle and how it sits but the punishment you take from the rough ride is horrible.
2nd part is, thhough normally I agree with lower means better handling, this bike with that set-up is not designed for it to sit low as it does and makes it feel the bike wants to tip, not to mention the constant dragging of the floorboards.
I have since went back to stock and damn glad I did...but if you insist, I have the spring for sale @ half off what low and mean has it for!!!!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yea I bought the spring from low and mean, the heavy duty one.
It does feel better in the saddle and how it sits but the punishment you take from the rough ride is horrible.
2nd part is, thhough normally I agree with lower means better handling, this bike with that set-up is not designed for it to sit low as it does and makes it feel the bike wants to tip, not to mention the constant dragging of the floorboards.
I have since went back to stock and damn glad I did...but if you insist, I have the spring for sale @ half off what low and mean has it for!!!!
If it wasn't the XL one I'd pick it up from you....:(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll keep you all in the loop. I ordered the normal (not the XL)...I hear all the points everyone had made...but on normal roads (which is what I typically travel) - I can't see an inch and a quater making that much of a difference where I am going to need to worry about bottoming out...etc. On my Aero 750 I lowered it 2 full inches and it was fine riding solo...with a passenger (hardly every have one) I had to toughen up the shocks to 5 (Aero has adjustable shocks). So...ok...I am probably being hardheaded....but truth be told...I need to get this bike at least an inch lower or she is up for sale....she is just waaayyy too expensive for me to not feel 100% that she is the true baby for me (yeah.....probably should have figured that one out before I bought her). So....by next weeked I'll either be very boastful....or offering someone an AMAZING deal on a 2011 Interstate with pipes, batwing fairing (and original windshield), backrest, chrome...chrome...chrome. :)

w

·
&quot;Captain&quot;
86 Posts
I wonder if the Warrior sold it!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry for the delayed response folks....here is the short version of a very long and frustrating tale: the first spring they sent me was actually the wrong spring...it was for the Honda Fury! and of course I had no idea. So...we installed it and the bike was 2 inches lower!!!! I was IN LOVE!!! There is nothing more exciting that having the looks and power of the interstate with that low and mean benefit....BUT....as others noted....IT WAS A DISASTER!!! As long as you are riding on a pool table AND you don;t have to turn...go for it! Otherwise....DANGEROUS is putting it lightly! Ok...next move...called low and mean told them my concerns..,.they realized they sent the wrong spring...sent me the correct spring....paid again to have the wrong one pulled out and the new one put in. Ah...still low, about 1 1/4 inches....loved it still....BUT....still bottoms out on ANY incline (like any driveway) and MOST turns....not as bad as the fury spring...but still...not cool and I would say DANGEROUS! I hate to say it folks...but unless you are in an area that is real smooth...and I mean pool table smooth...this is just not something you want to paly with...and I am pissed...would love a little more bend. Anyway...back to stock...am getting my seat scooped out for a little more bend...getting back in love with my bike...just disappointed with some of Honda's real senseless and irresponsible poor design on this expensive bike! The buffeting issue is almost criminal! I, like most of you, have thrown out the winshield, installed a batwing, installed lowers...much better...but why the #%$^&& should we have had to go through all of that just for a safe ride? Anyway...she is gorgeous...and now that she is safe...finding my passion for her again...if anyone wants a lowering spring for either the Interstate or the Fury...let me know....have them on sale cheap :)

·
&quot;Captain&quot;
86 Posts
I hear you Warrior. I was pissed on the way home from the dealership with the buffeting from the "Stock" windshield. So pissed, that I told them to take the bike back. They asked which bike I wanted instead. I said, "my Harley" Well, we came to a very nice agreement when they said they would help me with the "wind" issues. Meanwhile, I removed the windshield and realized, they never should have put one on. I traded the Boulevard windshield that it came with for a mustang seat (in the photo album below) Straight swap. Also the stock seat is crap to. If you're going to spend any money on a new saddle, put it in a new one, not into the stock one. "Can't make chicken soup out of chicken poop." Now the bike was almost as I wanted it, then I too put the batwing on, and for now…..i'm done. LOL Good luck with the mods. Keep us informed. BTW: The dealership is on I75 in Weston, FL. But I said I would keep our exchange to myself. I didn't mention any names, right? As far as the height of the bike, i'm coming from a rigid framed oOld School Harley chopper. So, i've done low and bad turns. This bike is awesome!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.