Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be taking the ferry across Lake Michigan when I head home on Saturday. What is the best location to hook tie down straps to the bike? The handlebars are too big for the hooks. The windshield mount looks pretty substantial. Would that do? Around the back of the mount (at the spacers) or around the front? Would it be okay to hook the hook around the strap?

Untitled by markdotnet, on Flickr Untitled by markdotnet, on Flickr Untitled by markdotnet, on Flickr

·
Jabirwocky
842 Posts
I thought most of these ferry crews had this down pat already. We don't have them here, but when I went to Jersey, they acted like it was routine. I was worried the first time, but they did good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wouldnt trust the windshield mount to tie the bike down with.I run soft ties around the fork tubes just above the lower tripple clamps on the front and hook to the foot pegs in the back and it works great. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
You can buy motor cycle straps that have built in soft ties. Go with the handle bars and be careful of the cables and wires.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the hints. For what it's worth, the "fast ferry" has straps available for you to use. I ended up looping the strap around the handlebars and then hooking the hooks to another strap which was hooked to the floor. The "slow ferry" requires you to have your own straps. In both cases, you have to strap your own bike down but there are usually other bikers around that are very willing to help out if necessary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.