Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered and installed the 17.5 inch Laminar Lip in an effort to reduce buffeting. I had to remount the thing several times to get it straight or at the correct height. In looking at the curve of the top edge of the stock windshield, I probably could have gotten a better fit with the 14 inch version, losing 1.75 inches on each side. On the Laminar Lip website, the photos show the lip mounted with white/clear dual lock. Mine came with black dual lock strips for the windshield, and dual lock "dots" for the lip. After my remounting efforts, I got a roll of the clear stuff from Amazon, and started from scratch. The dual lock I purchased is not as heavy duty as the black stuff that came with the lip, so I used a double strip on each side. After 700+ miles, most of which has been on the highway at 70-80 mph, it's holding strong.

Has it improved the buffeting? I would say so. I'm 6'1" and sit too high for the stock windshield. With the combination of Memphis lowers, my full face HJC helmet, and now the laminar lip, I think the buffeting is improved as much as it's going to get. Last weekend, I had a 600 mile round trip to Gainesville, and most of my head vibration was from the 1300 motor. Yes, there was still wind buffeting at times, and this seems to be more related to the direction of the prevailing winds or the wind blast coming off different trucks and other vehicles. At other times, the wind was so still at highway speeds behind the windshield, I could hear the valve lifters in the engine (that "sewing machine" sound). So, do I recommend this product? It's probably not for everyone. Before installing the lip, I did some test rides where I would put my left hand above my head to feel where the air flow was, and the lip has definitely reduced the wind chunking across the top of the helmet about 90%. That's not to say it would help everyone though. Even with the lowers, there is still some air that comes from underneath and around the tapered gas tank. But all is manageable now. Has anybody else tried this product? Would like to hear your feedback.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yeah - I know exactly what you mean. I've done the same thing...put my hand up right above the windshield and it deflects the remaining air coming right at my head. I think if there was a lip on the top of the windshield or it was angled forward slightly at the top then all would be good! Was wondering if I could get a small lip for the top of my windshield but I wasn't sure who made one or how it would be attached. I checked out the laminar lip website - interesting concept. I'm 5'10" so I look over it just a little and coming up with it would probably begin to block my vision. The lowers cured the tank draft which was worse than what was coming over my windshield. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now that I cleaned the bike today and am not ashamed of posting pictures....You may notice a scratch on the left side of the laminar lip. When I was mounting and remounting the lip, the instructions said to use the dull side of a butter knife to pry it apart. Doofus me listened to the instructions. At least I didn't scratch the stock windshield. Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Light

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts