Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all after several months looking at trunks and trying to find a rear rack without a sissybar I finally just removed the cobra sissy bar and bolted the rear rack to the side supports and then installed a new trunk on top of the Cobra rack. I added 4 u-bolts to hold down the trunk for extra security. I am very pleased with the purchase. Saved several hundred compared to a Givi Trunk.

I purchased the "Extra Large Motorcycle Trunk Top Case for 2 Helmets" by STIC available here: http://www.amazon.co...duct/B001RK8VGM. I think the trunk matches the styling of the Stateline. Let me know what you think.

I have posted additional pictures in my Gallery: http://www.vtcafe.co...order=asc&st=50

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The windshield is the Slip Streamer Falcon WindShield with SS-32 - 20" Wide Glide hardware. It is very adjustable.

Here is a link to a video I made of the trunk pictured above
I actually added some extra ubolts to the trunk so mine isn't really removable. I wanted it to be well anchored beyond a quick release.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Beeman, that does look nice! I had to jump in there and kidd around with Thrifty for a moment.

I wonder if you could turn that big reflector into an illuminated lamp?

Instead of hot glue, you could try some type of non-slip cushion / carpet, to quiet it down if something gets loose inside the trunk while your bouncin' down the road.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey Beeman, that does look nice! I had to jump in there and kidd around with Thrifty for a moment.

I wonder if you could turn that big reflector into an illuminated lamp?

Instead of hot glue, you could try some type of non-slip cushion / carpet, to quiet it down if something gets loose inside the trunk while your bouncin' down the road.
Thanks Arek for the suggeston on the non-slip cushion/carpet. I may do that, but my main objective is to have max space inside. The reflector would probably be difficult to remove and replace with something else and match the same shape. I don't mind having a big reflector on the back. The more reflection and light for me the better. It might help avoid rear end collision.

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
WOW, very nice trunk!!!
could you please let me know if this is the same rack that you have:

Cobra
SKU :
02-3500-
Yes that is the same rack I have. If you shop around you can get the items cheaper than on the cobra website. You will need to buy the sissybar to receive the side mounting brackets unless you contact Cobra directly and ask them if they will sell the mounting brackets separatly without the sissybar. You would need to purcase the rear rack in addition to the sissy bar (which includes mounting brackets) or the rack and the mounting brackets from Cobra separately.

Make sure if you purchase the Sissybar or mounting brackets that you get the ones for the Stateline if you want to mount them on the Stateline. The ones for the Sabre don't extend down enough to clear the fender. I made that mistake and had to add 4 washers as spacers on each side to get the proper clearance.

http://www.cobrausa....&model=VT1300CR Stateline&product_type=Motorcycle Accessories&product_name=Sissy Bar Luggage Rack

Please let me know where you bought this trunk ?
The trunk which I like is on Amazon. Here is a link to a video review that I made: http://www.amazon.com/Extra-Large-Motorcycle-Trunk-Helmets/product-reviews/B001RK8VGM/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1 I used the handle "George" on that website.

Also please let me know if your windshield has a quick release hardware?
I purchased my windshield from Phat Performance: SLPS-SS32-20CWGSlip Streamer Falcon WindShield SS-32 - 20" Wide Glide Hardware. I don't beleive the Slipstreamer has quick release brackets. I like the brackets that I have because they have a large range of adjustability.

Regards,
Greg

·
Administrator
4,971 Posts
Hello all after several months looking at trunks and trying to find a rear rack without a sissybar I finally just removed the cobra sissy bar and bolted the rear rack to the side supports and then installed a new trunk on top of the Cobra rack. I added 4 u-bolts to hold down the trunk for extra security. I am very pleased with the purchase. Saved several hundred compared to a Givi Trunk.

I purchased the "Extra Large Motorcycle Trunk Top Case for 2 Helmets" by STIC available here: http://www.amazon.co...duct/B001RK8VGM. I think the trunk matches the styling of the Stateline. Let me know what you think.

I have posted additional pictures in my Gallery: http://www.vtcafe.co...order=asc&st=50
Hey Beeman... so now it has been awhile, how did the trunk perform for ya? :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello Neck burn,

I have gone about 80mph with the trunk and don't notice any difference in handling.
------------------
Hello Bob J,

The trunk was working great until the nut holding the lock on came loose and I couldn't unlock the trunk without forcing it open. I contacted the seller and asked them to send me a new lock. In the meantime I fixed the lock myself. I think the problem is there wasn't a lockwasher with the nut holding the lock together. If I was getting the same trunk again I would add a lockwasher to the nut holding the lock together and perhaps put some lock tight on the threads for the nut. After my repair I continue to drive the bike each day and use the trunk.

I think it is great value for the cost.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello Beeman, I think I am going to go the same route as you. I did call Cobra and they really don't want to sell me the brackets without the sissy bar, which I will never need. My question is the bracket, Did you have to remove the fender or rear tire to mount it? Did you have to drill any holes thought the fender?

As to the trunk, is it water tight? You mentioned in your video that the trunk, when opened, inferfered with the sissy bar and suggested adding a pad to the trunk. Do you feel that this trunk is sturdy enough a person leaning back on it? My wife is petite, but wants a backrest.

Sorry for so many questions, but this is about a $500 consideration for me. I also should be receiving my Corbin seat in the next week. Your bracket seems to have plenty of clearnace for that, which is another consideration. Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello jrm_cr_fl,

The trunk has worked well for me and is water tight. It is fairly sturdy and shouldn't be a problem to lean against. I did install 4 ubolts inside the trunk to mount it to the cobra rack to make it more permanent. I don't think you need a pad attached to it although I have not had anyone ride on the bike with me.

Regarding the Cobra Rear rack install absent the sissybar I have described that in this link-

http://www.vtcafe.com/cafe/index.php?showtopic=458

It has been awhile so I have kind of forgotton, but taking a quick look at what I wrote I believe I removed the rear fender to drill holes to mount the side brackets. I didn't remove the rear wheel. Depending on what part number you buy for the cobra rear rack you may have to add washers to make sure the side brackets clear the edge of the fender The trunk is cheap enough that it can be replaced.

I now have 26,000 miles on the bike. I ride it to work every day and put my gear in the trunk every day.

·
Jabirwocky
842 Posts
Beeman,

my brother bought this same trunk and had issues. He was so frustrated, he just uses a net to hold the trunk closed. It is still water tight though.

The lock mechanism came loose, the lid bounced and out went the lock. We heard it bounce on the road. Dark and we couldn't find it.

I went with the Givi and had it over 100k miles on 4 different bikes.

I bought the monolock since it is cheaper than the monokey systems from Givi. Even though it was cheaper, I have still gotten more than my moneys worth out of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.