Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my Interstate idles a bit fast. I especially notice it if it is running hot. I understand it cannot be adjusted (out of warranty then?), it is self-adjusting. It's just enough that when I'm at a standstill, I keep waiting for it to lower. I may be used to my Shadow, whole different system, and choke, I get that. With the high temps here most of the year, and running the bike at 70 + much of the time, wouldn't it be better over the long run if it idled slower?

·
Administrator
4,971 Posts
Hey Sanity, I wish these bikes came with a couple things that have come on all of my other bikes had, first of all a Tachometer!

When I have my helmet on and earplugs in just right, I cannot hear the diff between 4th & 5th.

Does your ol' man have a handheld automotive tach to check the RPM's against the bible? ;)

Where are you on your tune up schedule?

·
Peace
630 Posts
unfortunatly I do not believe you can adjust the idle speed. But your throttle cables might need adjusting which could cause it to idle a bit on the fast side. Mine always seem to idle a bit faster after I did my mods?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has always sounded this way to me. And no, the idle cannot be adjusted. Mank, I just had the major 10000 mile maintenance done a few weeks ago. The throttle cables were adjusted slightly then. And yes, Bob, I wish it had a tach, too, more for the old-time look. I always go by the sound, and the feel, though sometimes I'm running in 4th too long before I kick into 5th on this bike because it feels so smooth, though I know I need to move it up.

I think mr sanity may have a tach - he has a timing light so I would think he has a tach, too. And yes, I'll post sound clips tomorrow.

Today, we rode about 300 miles. I decided to really pay attention today to the idle sound, and at most stops, it sounded the same, but high. So consistent at least. I noticed it more at the end of the loop because the lat 50 miles had traffic lights and warmer temps.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I recorded it with my phone, but between crappy recorder and all the Vegas traffic, it's difficult to discern the sound of my bike. I'll have to find another way.

I found the automotive tach, now to figure out where I would attach it on the bike, lol.....

·
Registered
986 Posts
Tuesday, I took my bike to the dealer, and had them go over several things that were not fixed to my satisfaction. The service mgr was responsive to my concerns re service not being done correctly the first time. ( I purchased the bike new in late April 2012)

The issues during the previous 2 services:

One of the headlight bolts was not replaced after service - completely missing.

New, angled air valve was positioned the wrong way (correct on work order), and the stem not properly seated. Almost as if the tech put it in place, was going to go back and finish the job, then forgot. Paid $45 for that. Luckily, we had a valve stem tool at home, and fixed it. The shop repositioned it the way I wanted it.

Warranty issue with windshield gasket which was not addressed after several requests. The gasket had come loose at the outer ends and had flared up above the windshield bracket. Very visually annoying. Instead of warrantying the shield (apparently the only way to get a gasket), I asked them to fabricate a new one, out of thicker material. They did a nice job - looks good. We'll see how well it holds.

Saddle bag lids had a turned up rear corner that was that way from the beginning. They offered to warranty them and replace them; I declined. Even though the bike is garaged, with the heat and dryness here, it's only a matter of time before it happens again.

Windshield bolts were both very loose, to the point of almost loosing the windshield, after service.

Idle question was addressed. We listened to a Sabre and Fury engines, next to my Interstate, and they all sounded the same. To me, the idle seems to run fast after the engine is hot, during stop and go traffic especially. The sound is consistent, and I think it has to do with the system being fuel injected. I may be blowing smoke up my own arse, but I don't think so.

Because of these issues, I was not confident in the work they had done so far - I recently had them perform the major 10000 mile service. The service manager went through the bike this week,, checked the work that had been done, made sure nothing was out of the ordinary, and assured me all is well with the bike.

Overall, I am pleased with the little annoyances being taken care of, and I'll definitely be more proactive when I pick up my bike from service. Usually I would wait until I got home, and look everything over.

·
Peace
630 Posts
Glad to here your dealer/srvice mgr is looking after you,,,,,,finally

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: After over 3000 miles since September, the "custom" windshield gasket is holding up fine, and still looks good. I believe the idle is fine; the sound is consistent. It runs a little fast when the engine is hot.

·
Peace
630 Posts
Sanity, Will you go play $50 in the slots for me please? Let me know if I win so I can give you my address to send me my check. Minus the $50 I owe you of course :D Thanks in advance

·
Peace
630 Posts
Mank, I played $50 for you and $50 for me.
Guess whose $50 won?!
í ½í¸„
Oh Thank you, Thank you, Take the $50 I owe you and a $50 tip and send me the rest please. I'll get my address right out =to ya. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know this is a very old topic, but maybe this will be helpful to someone.

I have the VT1300 Interstate, 2010. About a month ago the idle speed went up to about 1700rpm. All the time. I did a ton of researching, saw the posts here which indicated, like everything else I found, that you cannot adjust the idle speed. I even took it to a mechanic, who also could not adjust it.

That was pretty frustrating.

What I ended up doing was getting this:

http://www.partsgiant.com/p343761

The latest Cobra fuel management system (this is not an ad for them). Perhaps one of their earlier models would work as well (and would be cheaper), but I figured I'd get the latest and greatest.

It worked right out of the box. Idle dropped to about 1000rpm. That was right after I installed it, but haven't been on a ride yet, as I have to be at home while the roofers are redoing our roof.

But I'll take it out later tonight and report on if it improves anything else, as they claim.

It took about 30 minutes to put on. Probably took longer to take the air filter cover off than to put this on.

Andy

·
Being a fat Asian kid means I'm & Buddha on a bike
1,890 Posts
Hey andy, welcome to the family and to the fun, from way east of you (St Louis).

Good tip on the Cobra fuel mgmt system.

Hey start a fresh thread, and introduce yourself to thevrest of the group.

Reactions: StPeteAPB

·
Registered
250 Posts
The VT does have an Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) that can need servicing. I think the theory is to not adjust the idle to compensate for other problems like intake air leaks. Taken to the extreme, a functioning IACV valve will always provide the correct idle speed if everything else is working properly. ????

My maintenance theory (that has worked pretty well for me over the years) would be to just replace the bloody thing (in this case, the IACV valve) if I couldn't figure out what else might be causing the problem.

The valve sits atop the throttle body and is held in place with two Torx screws.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Jackson, that is good to know. I couldn't find any information like that when I was researching. I might go ahead and do that as well.

I did get out last night for a little ride. I'm pretty impressed with the way the Cobra system makes the bike run. While not dramatic, throttle response was snappier and the bike just seemed to run better.

When I got back, I checked the idle again and it had settled in at about 930rpm. It sounds really good.

The wife was very glad that it worked, after spending that much money on something I didn't know for sure was going to help with the idle.

Andy

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.