Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i cant find nothing on tank removal for my 2010 stateline. i tried taking it off yesterday and had 3 gallons of gass pour uncontrollablly all over my garage floor and myself! i hosed it off and installed my led lighting(looks great) but next time i get under there is there a better way??? any help? i cant find a online manuel either. we need someone to post how to do this. the tank doesnt appear to have a shut off valve???

thanks

·
WHYNOT
745 Posts
There is no shut off valve with fuel injection. On my Interstate, I need to remove dash cover (two bolts in front) and set it between handlebars and windshield. Remove seat, lift up slightly on rear of tank and wiggle/pull back, be careful to not over do it. Once it lets loose it's easy to pull to far. You should remove fuel lines and find a way to keep fuel from dumping out. I just set up a chunk of wood with a cooler on top of it and managed to swing the tank over and set it on the cooler with the rear of the tank resting on the bike with a towel under it.

·
WHYNOT
745 Posts
http://www.sell.com/247LFV

Found this link elsewhere on this site. Full Manual. Best $30 you will ever spend. I have used it to install my Run/Turn/Brake Module and Cobra Exhaust so far.
I believe that was my link and yes Best $30 you can spend on your ride. Very good, very detailed manual.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I may eventually pay the price for taking shortcuts, but, when I adjusted my valves, I disconnected the low fuel sensor, folded a thick bath towel double, laid it across the back fender, and turned the gas tank 180 degrees, resting it on the bath towel. There is just enough slack in the fuel lines to do this without disconnecting any of the lines. I ran a bungie cord from passenger peg to peg, holding the gas tank in place long enough to get the valves done. It's a good idea to be low on gas when you try this. Just remember which way you turned the tank and reverse that when you remount, otherwise the kinks could cause some flow issues!! :blink:

Good luck,
Gary

·
Registered
63 Posts
Gary, that was an excellent tip. I did exactly what you described and it worked like a charm. I installed a Power Commander V yesterday and had to remove just about everything. The tank would've been a bear (with the lines and existing gas) but your tip saved my ass. Thanks!

·
Registered
120 Posts
the manual shows the line crimped with the kind of clamps doctors use. I bought the manual for $30 myself. very nice but what i need it for was a waist of $$$

I do all my mods and oil changes with everything else that needs to be done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i spilled quite a lot of gas when i did valves and next time i plan to run most gas out and siphon the remainder beforehand.....also will lift rear of tank as much as possible before pulling line off letting any remaining gas go to front of tank and be ready with a finger over the outlet...

·
Peace
630 Posts
Just do like most of us, as Gary states above, Its alot easier to just swing the tank 180!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Jimbo,
Glad my method was a help! One bit of advice I forgot to offer,(for those married members) make sure the bath towel has been "officially" discarded by the better half! Otherwise, you end up in one of those "......and that's how the fight started!" situations!
Respectfully,
Gary

·
Peace
630 Posts
Jimbo,
Glad my method was a help! One bit of advice I forgot to offer,(for those married members) make sure the bath towel has been "officially" discarded by the better half! Otherwise, you end up in one of those "......and that's how the fight started!" situations!
Respectfully,
Gary
Sounds like another voice of "cough cough" experience. :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
I see this is an old thread but I need to remove my tank. Seems to be a leak at front cylinder water hose. It was tightened when the valves were adjusted but seems to be at it again. As I have read these posts and I did not see any mention of tank being bolted down, just need to pull it back. Is this correct?

·
Being a fat Asian kid means I'm & Buddha on a bike
1,890 Posts
It's a bolt/ lock nut combo. Both are 10mm. Remove the tank guage cluster and unplug the unit. Remove the bolt lift up at the rear about two-three inches, remove the fuel sensor wires, then gently wiggle back and forth while pulling backwards and the tank will come free from the front rubber shock mount....

·
Being a fat Asian kid means I'm & Buddha on a bike
1,890 Posts
Hey Rollout. I'm gonna show my age now....back in the day did you have any 'roach clips' with the feathers on them? And did you keep them attached to your rearview mirror?

Yup...I'm old.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts