Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Peace
630 Posts
I thought it would be interesting to see what kind of helmet everyone wears and why you chose the specific one you are wearing. Pics would be nice as well if you have them. I'll start;
I wear a GMax 3/4 helmet with a full clear shield and a tinted 3/4 shield that swing up or down over the clear one. The reason for my using this one is; The dealer threw in 2 of them when I purchased the bike. Can complain about a freebie. I am opting for a half non d.o.t. helment this year though. We'll see.
Here is a link to mine, Gloss Black. http://www.g-max.com/gmax/gm17s.html#

·
WHYNOT
745 Posts
I have a Hawk brand Modular. I went with the Hawk because the price was right, it looks pretty good and it's quite comfy. Say what you want "$100 helmet for a $100 head" and so on. No helmet law where I'm at and I wear one about half the time, mainly for weather reasons.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have an HJC and a Nolan, I like the HJC the best. I always wear my helmet even though I live in Florida which does have a helmet law. The law states that unless you have an additional $10,000 PIP coverage (cost around $500 a year over and above normal insurance) you have to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle. Most law enforcement do not enforce this law, so most bikers go without helmets. What they don't understand is that if they get into an accident and are injured or killed without a helmet on and do not have this insurance. Then all their other insurance policies have a leagal reason to not pay their claim, This includes life insurance. You were riding without a helmet on and without the legally required $10,000 PIP.

If your in Florida and don't have this insurance, I would recommend wearing a helmet.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i wear an iCON for long road trips and weather purpose and a half cap around town and short cpl hundred mile rides...have to get some pics and post them

·
Registered
71 Posts
Like Whynot, I have a Hawk Modular helmet that I wear for cold weather, and a Hawk 3/4 helmet for warm weather. I ride year round here in the Texas Panhandle as long as it's not colder than 20 degrees F. As long as the pavement is dry, I like to ride.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use a HJC with a Scala Rider G4 (Which i totaly recomend if you ride with friends or a Group).. and a Half helmet depending on the day. {Aethelwolf} I didnt knew about that extra insurance in FL.... mmm I wear my helmet 90% of the time and I have life insurance in case that something happens. It will be really bad if something happens and my wife and kids get $0.00... I will look into this right away...

Thanks for that info

And here are some pictures of my HJC with the Scala G4

·
Registered
131 Posts
I dont have a helmet. Been looking around. I want to get a half helmet but I dont want that silly mushroom head look. Something that fits a close to the head. Probably a non-DOT novelty or lid. Anybody know a good place to find one of these?

·
Peace
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont have a helmet. Been looking around. I want to get a half helmet but I dont want that silly mushroom head look. Something that fits a close to the head. Probably a non-DOT novelty or lid. Anybody know a good place to find one of these?
Half helmets (non-DOT)are quite abundent around here. Thats what I wear in the summer and my 3/4 GMax when it gets colder. I agree with you Abbotdog, I hate that mushroom look as well, thats why the non DOT helmet. I can get you all you want for about $20 - $30. I am sure out your way you should be able to find plenty of them. But if I were you, I would take a ride out here to Va and follow me to one of MANY shops that will be glad to sell you one. Hell, if your a good boy this year, Santa might even bring you one. B)

·
Registered
20 Posts
i have a glassfiber full face dont know brand.got it because it was white, like fullface cos of protection, used to have black openface in old days but cos i was despatch rideing i used a full face. glad i did cos i went over the bonnet of a car ,wouild have smashed in my face broke jaw etc.so thats why i wear one now............

·
Registered
32 Posts
In Canada helmets are the law so I have a SHOEI XTEC full face , good for long tours and cool weather ( 6 deg c / 40 f this morning ) and a BELL SHORTY 1/2 helmet for warm weather day trips . We have a lot of farmland and forests which produce some rather large insects which give your face a good spanking at cruising speeds or wildlife like moose ,deer and bears, they can really mess you up ,so more apt to ride with the SHOEI . :eek:

·
Registered
475 Posts
I actually have three helmets for all the weather issues. A Shoei QWest full face for the longer highway rides, a Shoei RJ Platinum 3/4 for cooler days and a Shoei half helmet for the summer rides around town. Kinda says I like Shoei don't it?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I never thought of my head looking like a silly mushroom. I may have to get a new helmet. I don't need any help looking stupid.
:lol:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I rock a flat black Fulmer V2 (3/4 helmet) most of the time but I also love my HJC IS Max (It's just like Doug C's but in black) for when it's cold or raining. I definately resemble a bobble head caricature of myself in the Fulmer but I'm already so awesome I got the cool points to spare. It's also the most comfortable helmet I've ever had...does a good job suppressing wind noise, fits perfect, and you can't beat the ventilation!

·
Peace
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I rock a flat black Fulmer V2 (3/4 helmet) most of the time but I also love my HJC IS Max (It's just like Doug C's but in black) for when it's cold or raining. I definately resemble a bobble head caricature of myself in the Fulmer but I'm already so awesome I got the cool points to spare. It's also the most comfortable helmet I've ever had...does a good job suppressing wind noise, fits perfect, and you can't beat the ventilation!
I just couldn't stop laughing when I read this line. "but I'm already so awesome I got the cool points to spare" Now we ALL know who has all the concete in your family :) Make me think of my daughters. They both say the same thing. I just dont figure that though, especially when I did not give them any of those genes, I kept them all for myself :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't know. On the concete thing it's a pretty tight race between my old man, my big sis and I. Kinda makes sense though. Like my old man says, we are, afterall, simply the fruit of his looms.

Reactions: wes_ben

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I wear a XXXL helmet to back off with the mushroom head etc jokes....lol.

I have a few helmets but I wear a Bell Drifter 1/2 and now own a Scorpion EXO 900, modular with built in sun shield. I have a big head and have been wanting a modular with drop down sun shield for long trip and have had a had time finding one that fits. Just wore it on a 900+ miles trip the past weekend in 90 degree head, not bad at all, got hot a few time but LOVED not having to wear my sunglasses and having them press against my head/nose. pluse this helmet can "transform" into a 3/4 helmet and has a air system that allows you to inflate the neck and cheek to fit better.

http://www.scorpionusa.com/media/videos/exo-900.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wear an HJC CL-Max II in flat black. There's only one reason I wear this one: it's the only helmet I can currently find that fits my melon sized head well. Years ago I had a Bell 3/4 in 3XL but would always get that red pressure spot on my forehead. I tried the CL-Max in 5XL and it fits perfectly. I was too snug with the cheek pads, so I took those out, and it's still very comfortable. I'm probably going to stock up on a couple of these just to hoard them for future use.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have an HJC modular, but just bought a Nolan N43 Trilogy. I bought the Nolan mainly because it is lighter...the HJC gave me a neck/shoulder ache after a couple of hours. Things I like about the Nolan...I bought a J&M headset that is made for the Nolan (no dinkin around), it has drop down shades, it is LIGHT, it has a large face opening and the chin bar is removable.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have a Nolen, HJC and AVG. The Nolen is modular so can build it into a full face helemt for winter riding. The HJC was free with the bike and fits the best. The AGV has a fighter pilot face plate and looks the best. All are DOT approved.

I live in Florida and in this state you don't have to wear a helmet if you want to spend $500 a year on extra PIP insurance. Most folks here don't know this and ride without a helmet anyway. The COPs don't enforce the law, but if you get into an accident and don't have a helmet on and don't have the $500 a year extra PIP insurance you can and most probably will be denied any medical insurance coverage as you were violating the law while riding and not wearing the required head protection according to Florida State Law. Pleading Ignorance isn't going to pay the bills. Hell maybe even your life insurance might be able to get out of paying if you die without a helmet and don't have the extra PIP insurance.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts