Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to say "Hello" and introduce myself. My name is Wil, I'm 5'8" at a svelte 290lbs, and I used to ride dirt bikes many years ago. With the gas prices rising ridiculously now, I am looking to get onto the pavement with my first cruiser. So far, I have a few options in mind, a 2010 Honda Stateline, a 2009 V Star 1300 or 1100, or a 2009 Suzuki M90. So far, I'm inclined to get the M90 because of the power plant that it comes with. However, I do like the Stateline and the V Stars so I'm still trying to decide which to choose. Of the bikes mentioned, the Stateline fit the best. The two things about the Stateline that didn't impress me was the lack of dual disc brakes in the front tire and the plastic parts used that I've read about in some reviews. Aside from that, I think it's a great looking bike.

And just so you know, unless I need to take my truck or ride in my GF's SUV, this bike will most likely serve as my daily mode of transportation. My girlfriend will be riding with my occasionally as well.

One question that I do have is, at what point does power trump comfort, or vice versa? I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. I feel as soon as I answer this question myself, I can make my decision.

Anyway, hope to hear your feedback on my options for a first bike. And if you have other suggestions, please feel free to share them.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I ditto fireman dan. I just went from a 2008 Suzuki Boulevard Cruiser to a 2011 Honda Interstate. I liked the Boulevard just fine, but wanted a little bigger bike. And for me, the Interstate fits me really well. Another thing to remember is that if you ding or crack the chromed plastic parts, they are much cheaper to replace and also keep the weight of your bike down. Just some things to consider.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ditto fireman dan. I just went from a 2008 Suzuki Boulevard Cruiser to a 2011 Honda Interstate. I liked the Boulevard just fine, but wanted a little bigger bike. And for me, the Interstate fits me really well. Another thing to remember is that if you ding or crack the chromed plastic parts, they are much cheaper to replace and also keep the weight of your bike down. Just some things to consider.
Thanks Idaho! I can see where replacement parts and weight could be a benefit. But with regards to the brakes, how happy are you with them?

·
Registered
20 Posts
hi from england,ive a fury and 1 disc is just fine,also so was my harley and it stoped fine too.i had a 1200 suzuki bandit and if it fell on the left side the engine cover wouild smash and oil pour out that was a metal cover plus plastic is lighter.what wouild count is your taste in looks and the bhp my bike has about 54 bhp fine for me cos i ride a cbf125 honda to work so on runs it does what i need .good hunting B)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks Idaho! I can see where replacement parts and weight could be a benefit. But with regards to the brakes, how happy are you with them?
Wil, I can't really attest to that right now since I am still in the break-in 300 miles for my bike (almost there - darn rain). And trying not to do any real hard stops. But my Boulevard didn't have a disc brake on the back even, so I am feelin this as much nicer.

·
WHYNOT
745 Posts
I was a little surprised that the Stateline and Interstate did not have dual disc up front. I only have about 450 miles on my Interstate (most at about 45 degrees, stupid MN). I have done some "panic" stops when I was out on an empty road and it seemed to stop just fine as far breaking power. I will be upgrading the front springs to Progressive or something comparable to get rid of some of the dive. Dual disc would be nice, but used properly I can stop quicker than with my HD, which has single disc with a good after market rotor and caliper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts