Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Peace
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quicj question:
Does anyone know the size of the handle bars for replacing the grips? I know some of you have changed your grips with aftermaket ones; But for the life of me, I can not find out what size these bars are. I dont want to order them and then have to return them because I orderd the wrong size. Also, any suggestions on what you all have already gotten would be great. Thanks for you replys. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Just a quicj question:
Does anyone know the size of the handle bars for replacing the grips? I know some of you have changed your grips with aftermaket ones; But for the life of me, I can not find out what size these bars are. I dont want to order them and then have to return them because I orderd the wrong size. Also, any suggestions on what you all have already gotten would be great. Thanks for you replys. :rolleyes:
I've heard good things about the ISO grips by Kuryakyn part#6240 by the way for 1" handlebars which are whats on our interstates. Plus they have all of those funky attachments and stuff. Been thinking about a pair myself but I'm looking at some flamed footboards and might buy the grips to match. Good luck.

·
Peace
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard good things about the ISO grips by Kuryakyn part#6240 by the way for 1" handlebars which are whats on our interstates. Plus they have all of those funky attachments and stuff. Been thinking about a pair myself but I'm looking at some flamed footboards and might buy the grips to match. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. The Kurys are primarly what I have been looking at and adding the stiletto end caps. But for some reason when I go to add it to the cart, they show up as an X model. Again, Thanks for the info. :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The Kurys are primarly what I have been looking at and adding the stiletto end caps. But for some reason when I go to add it to the cart, they show up as an X model. Again, Thanks for the info. :)
I've found a few different websites that still use VTX instead of VT but the bars are 1" on both so fitment shouldn't be an issue there. Let us know what you get.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have the Kuryakyn ISO grips and love them.

WIth the raised rubber pads, I can relax my gloved hand on the throttle and the friction between the glove and those pads is enough to keep the throttle in place at low pressure. Really saves the hand...

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have the Kuryakyn ISO grips and love them.

WIth the raised rubber pads, I can relax my gloved hand on the throttle and the friction between the glove and those pads is enough to keep the throttle in place at low pressure. Really saves the hand...
How difficult are they to install?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Reactions: vic

·
Registered
195 Posts
Nice post on the grip install.

Got a question though. Why did you mount the throttle boss on backwards? What is your reason?
Caption under Step 14: "This picture also gives you an idea of the positioning of the Throttle Boss that I personally prefer. I actually
have it positioned backwards from the way the instructions say because I like to have the whole grip available and then I slide my palm
to the outside edge of the grip if I want to use the Throttle Boss. You will need to experiment yourself, but if the position is not
correct, you will feel it your shoulder instead of your wrist after a very long ride."

B)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Just installed the Kuryakin flame ISO grips. Instructions on grip removal was feat in the video. Learned one thing about using the supplied adhesive that came with the grips. Don't!!!! I slid the throttle side on first and barely got it lined up before the the glue set. Was ok with that until I tried to slide the clutch side grip on. Got three quarters of the way upwhen it seized. Frustration almost peaked at this point. Ended up tearing the rubber in the grips trying to get them off. Fixed tie tear and cleaned the bar off before I just slid the grip on with no glue. I'll eventually get some rubber cement to glue it in place.

Instructions were great not feat. Sorry for the typo.

·
Peace
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just installed the Kuryakin flame ISO grips. Instructions on grip removal was feat in the video. Learned one thing about using the supplied adhesive that came with the grips. Don't!!!! I slid the throttle side on first and barely got it lined up before the the glue set. Was ok with that until I tried to slide the clutch side grip on. Got three quarters of the way upwhen it seized. Frustration almost peaked at this point. Ended up tearing the rubber in the grips trying to get them off. Fixed tie tear and cleaned the bar off before I just slid the grip on with no glue. I'll eventually get some rubber cement to glue it in place.

Instructions were great not feat. Sorry for the typo.
Hey Fireman, You got my grips :) Sorry to hear you had problems, but glad you let us know. I am planning on getting the same grips, and like floorboard covers next month. Still looking into some flame mirrors without being to gaudy,

·
Registered
382 Posts
Know how ya feel with gaudy mirrors. LoL I want flame mirrors too but somthinf a little subtle. If the. Glue you get with the grips is clear, chunk it it and find something like tuber cement. Local bike shop should be able to direct you better. Not sure how I'll ever get the throttle grip off without damaging anything.

·
Peace
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Know how ya feel with gaudy mirrors. LoL I want flame mirrors too but somthinf a little subtle. If the. Glue you get with the grips is clear, chunk it it and find something like tuber cement. Local bike shop should be able to direct you better. Not sure how I'll ever get the throttle grip off without damaging anything.
Fireman, The mirrors I am looking at are somthing like these, http://www.westendmotorsports.com/bikemaster-school-flamed-mirror-chrome-order-only-p-20717.html Not necasrlly this particular brand, but at least they are not gaudy looking.
There is another one, I cant seem to find at the moment, that I like, but I'm just not sure about. Similar stem, but black mirror head with chrome inlay flames. I'll try to find a pic.

·
Peace
630 Posts
Nice. Have you checked out the Scythe mirrors from kuryakin? I'm leaning more towards those.
I originally was looking at the Kuryakyn Scythe II Mirrors, but after I thought about going with the Flame theme, I have had second thoughts. I do like them though and think they would look awsome on our bikes.
So, I am still thinking, Kury Flame Grips with stiletto end caps, Floorboard covers and using the flame stirup pegs for cruise pegs. Also the mirror mention above. I am also thinking of floorboards for the passenger, but I like the Hondaline brand ones. Problem there is the cost. Cobras swept floorboards might be the choice because of $$. A little at a time. Shhhhh, thats more money I need to convince the wife that I need :)

·
Peace
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rode with the new grips for the first time yesterday. Needs some getting used to. I might keep them, not sure yet.
Where are the pics. Gotta see it to believe it B)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts