Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how to set up a poll but was wondering if any of you leave the key on for a while after killing your VT1300. On my Stateline and after almost any ride in this heat, the fan comes on when I kill the bike by dropping the kickstand. Thats how I normally kill the bike. I know on my diesel truck I do not kill it after a hard drive pulling so as to let it cool down and not harm the turbo.

Sometimes on the Stateline I have left the key on until the fan stops or just let it run for a little while. After installing the chrome bezels and having a little trouble installing the front right light bulb I discovered it does not take long to run the battery down. So I am a little worried about leaving the key on with the fan running and lights on too long. . I don't think that will happen as the fan does not run that long. I also would like to take the key and go on into work where its cool.

So what do the rest of you do when killing a hot bike?

Turn key off immidiatly.

Leave key on for little while.

Leave key on until fan stops.

·
WHYNOT
745 Posts
Can't say if it's right or wrong, but I usually let my bike idle until the fan stops. If you just leave the key on, but the engine off, you are not circulating the coolant. Probably doesn't matter either way, bike on fan on, bike off fan on or just off and walk away.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I Always kill the bike with the red kill switch. I Always leave the bike in gear. I Never wait for anything.

Red kill switch
Put kickstand down
remove key and walk away.

Done.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It's interesting that this comes up today. Why? Because today at the BMV, I managed to leave the key in, and on, until someone came and asked who owned the bike with the lights on after 30 minutes. When I got out there, the bike would not start. Fortunately, after sitting while I finished my business, it did turn over slowly and fire right up.

I normally:

Leave bike in gear
Put kickstand down
Remove key
Get sweaty a-- back in the air conditioned house

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's never even occurred to me to leave the fan running. I drank the kool-aid on the liquid cooled thing so I don't really worry about engine heat. I do worry about the battery so I try not to have my key on when the engine is not running...ever. It should be noted that most of my habits with my bike are driven more by superstition than knowledge. I have the same routine as bigsk8r. Throw the kickstand down and sprint to the climate control.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts