Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's not bike related but I hope everyone paused to remember the sacrifices so many paid June 6, 1944.

My Uncle Frank was one of the first to set foot on Omaha Beach, fought through France, was in a forward observation post outside of Bastogne that was over run during the Battle of the Bulge, taken prisoner and then released a few days later. He survived the war without a scratch.

If any of you ever travel through Europe, I recommend visiting the memorial built by the people of Belgium just outside of Bastogne to honor the US servicemen who liberated their country. There is a large circular marble memorial, with 50 columns about 30 feet high, one for each state, with an observation ring atop the columns that allows one to see the entire countryside and part of the battle field. They also have a large musuem and amphitheatre where an excellent documetary runs. Their photo gallery is impressive. It is quite moving.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks Wegian for the reminder. My Dad was a Bombadier and Top Gunner on a B17. He would never talk about it much but did say they flew continuous bombing missions for 72 hours !! (before during and after the invasion).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts