Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
4,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, I've been touting Corbin seats for many years now, on their style and comfort. I had my backrest, (Which I kept from my old FJ1200) recovered in the Spring of 2021. The original covering was a vinyl basket weave type pattern that matched my old seat, so it didn't match the new seat in stealth pattern in leather I had Corbin make for me. I shipped them my backrest, it cost $20 to ship it USPS, $120 to re-cover it and $20 to have it shipped back to me UPS.

When I got the backrest back from Corbin it looked great right out of the box. After I put it on the bike, it looked different, it fit different, it was less comfortable, all because it was an inch or so thinner. After I contacted Corbin I was immediately put on hold, or promised at least three times that I'd be called back tomorrow, which never happened, my emails went without reply, then later claimed that I never sent them, I still have them in my sent box to the original salesman's address.

So I got nuthin' but the runaround for six months, today I got ahold of Christopher, who is manager there that could make the call on what to do, but his style of dishing out the runaround was a lot more polished than the guy I talked to yesterday. I had asked him twice if he was Christopher and he finally said yes, I also had addressed him as Christopher a few times during our time on the phone, he later admitted to me his name was actually Michael :mad: I asked if they stood behind their workmanship, he deflected that question with some warranty mumbo jumbo about "New" products, he said this did not qualify as it wasn't new. I re-asked the question, "Do you stand behind your workmanship?" and he countered with, he could start the paperwork to re-do the backrest @ $70 an hour, again without any warranty for their workmanship. I'm actually proud of myself for not saying F that!

On a side note here, back before I had my Sabre, I had a great idea for a Corbin product that could have created a lot of sales. I asked people at Corbin to forward my email address to the owner, to pitch it right at him, many months later I got a reply from an anonymous email who was quite rude about my inquiry for Corbin product submission, I was very surprised when I found out it was indeed the owner of Corbin being a complete ass to me for bothering him with my idea. So I kept it to myself - screw 'em!

Below are a couple pics on how much difference the backrest is now and what ugly thing the thinner backrest has uncovered.

So you probably won't hear me in the Corbin fan section anymore.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
What a shame, Bob! I have had several Corbin seats and loved their comfort and workmanship. Guess I was lucky that I never had a problem with them. It sure seems like so companies these days don’t know how to provide quality customer service any longer. A sign of the changing times in this country, but don’t get me started on that topic. 😳

·
Registered
Yamaha Scorpio, 2008 x 2. Honda NC 700, 2012. Honda VT1300 Sabre 2010.
241 Posts
Ouch. Is it actually your original one? Are you sure it is? Just weird that they carved it thinner unless you asked for them to do it? Your post doesn't seem to hint at that tho. So why wouild theyu carve it thinner if you never asked for that to happen.

I know you have had it redone by Corbin but have you thought about finding a local upholsterer and showing them it and seeing what they might be able to do to fix it. A lot of these guys are magicians and will stand behind their work.

·
Administrator
4,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ouch. Is it actually your original one? Are you sure it is? Just weird that they carved it thinner unless you asked for them to do it? Your post doesn't seem to hint at that tho. So why wouild theyu carve it thinner if you never asked for that to happen.

I know you have had it redone by Corbin but have you thought about finding a local upholsterer and showing them it and seeing what they might be able to do to fix it. A lot of these guys are magicians and will stand behind their work.
I told them that I wanted the backrest recovered to match my leather seat, I even returned a copy of my original receipt, so they could have their ducks in a row. I pointed out a few times that I never said anything about touching the original padding - Hell, they didn't even return the original cover!

This whole thing has been a slow boiling PITA for months now!

·
Registered
Yamaha Scorpio, 2008 x 2. Honda NC 700, 2012. Honda VT1300 Sabre 2010.
241 Posts
I have a feeling they exchanged the backrest. It is the only thing I can think of. Why would it come back thinner when all you asked to be done was it to be re-covered. No business will do work not asked for otherwise they don't get paid for it.

Again I know you probably don't want to but consider a local upholsterer if you can't get satisfaction from Corbin.

·
Administrator
4,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh the backrest is the original, because I had chopped off an inch from the post to make it sit down on the seat. And I have taken it to a few local auto upholstery shops, and they all hee'd and haw'ed about the matching up of the stiching, or leather grain, they were probably too busy to dick around with a small job like this. There's some more shops to the south of me who might do it between jobs. The sad thing is that they might charge more than having Corbin do it again!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just sent an email to Corbin customer service asking if this is the impression they want to leave with everyone that reads the posts here. I noted that I don't even know you, but that it didn't leave me wanting to do business with them. I urge everyone that reads this to do the same. If we stick together we can at least have a chance of fixing things like this.

·
Administrator
4,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Arby,

I mentioned to the A-hole Corbin salesman that I was a moderator on a forum, and a member on several forums where I have recommended their seats many times, and that was now going to change!

My comment to Mike Tyger was that the money they would have spent on un f-ing their work on my backrest ($80 or so) will be more than lost if even just one person goes to Mustang for a seat.

I hope more folk (hint, hint) email them and ask why they have don't stand behind their repair work. In the last month three people have come up to me at bike stops, and asked about my seat, I now tell them a brief story of how I got shafted by Corbin.

My Wife & Daughter now both hate the backrest too!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts