Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally broke down and decided to remove the baffles from my new Cobra swept pipes and WOW the Sabre sounds mean as hell! Don't get me wrong with the baffles in, under load the bike sounded good with the Cobra swept pipes, it was sub-par to my standard at idle. But man it makes a world of difference with them out. I can't hear the annoying tick of the engine nor can I hear the air cooler wind up.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
I agree, they sound fantastic with them out. I took mine out after 2 days of having the pipes on the bike. You do lose a little of the performance aspect by taking them out because you eliminate the back pressure but thats ok by me. Was not that tough to get them out but I did have to take a ride and get the pipes hot then squirted some liquid soap in to yank them out. Well worth the effort.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found this video on youtube

Then basically I went to Lowes and bought a 1" (EMT) Electrical conduit (not rigid), for $8.
I cut a 2 foot section off that pipe, drilled a hole in the end of it and ran a bolt through it.
I sprayed WD40 in both tailpipes 30 minutes before I started.
Remove the 2 hex screws from the rear of the pipes.
Stick the cut pipe inside the exhaust, with the bolt inside the hole where the hex screw was.
Clamp some vice grips to the rear of the pipe and in a downward motion hammer on the vice grips.
It will take several hits, then they will come out.

I had a friend assist me to make sure I didn't accidentally scratch the chrome. He basically ensure that the bolt stayed in place as I hammered.
It has been a week now and I have not seen any performance problems and I get compliments on the pipes everywhere I go.

I am not a mechanic or a qualified Honda technician. I assumed all responsibility for doing this to my bike.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I removed the baffles out of my swepts as soon as i put them on the bike, never started it once with baffles in haha. I'll agree with ya guys it sounds mean!

·
jms412
112 Posts
I finally broke down and decided to remove the baffles from my new Cobra swept pipes and WOW the Sabre sounds mean as hell! Don't get me wrong with the baffles in, under load the bike sounded good with the Cobra swept pipes, it was sub-par to my standard at idle. But man it makes a world of difference with them out. I can't hear the annoying tick of the engine nor can I hear the air cooler wind up.
You said that you have a "tick" in your engine and I have a tick in mine. I thought it was the valves ticking so I told the dealer. They said it was normal and that they are suppose to tick some and you don't want them to not tick because then they are too tight. Just thought I would see if you talked to the dealer about it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@jms412 - I have heard that same argument with the ticking noise. I think the same holds true on the VTX series. Good thing is that the VT platform is the same as the VTX platform so its been around a while. The ticking is annoying; however, its all solved with some loud pipes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts