Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you've watched the video on the Cobra website, they do have a good rumble to them without being obnoxiously loud, however, they are louder than depicted in the video!The rider in the video keeps the throttle soft and the rpm's low. I have a set on my Sabre and I do like the way they sound. I can soft-pedal the throttle enough the times I have to go to work in the wee hours of the morning and not wake up the neighbors, but if I crack the throttle pretty good, they are quite a bit louder than the oem pipes. Installation was simple and easy. Yes, I know, "If its too loud, you're too old!" I don't like the sound of straight pipes, but the oem mufflers are too quite. The Cobra's are a good balance.

Gary

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you've watched the video on the Cobra website, they do have a good rumble to them without being obnoxiously loud, however, they are louder than depicted in the video!The rider in the video keeps the throttle soft and the rpm's low. I have a set on my Sabre and I do like the way they sound. I can soft-pedal the throttle enough the times I have to go to work in the wee hours of the morning and not wake up the neighbors, but if I crack the throttle pretty good, they are quite a bit louder than the oem pipes. Installation was simple and easy. Yes, I know, "If its too loud, you're too old!" I don't like the sound of straight pipes, but the oem mufflers are too quite. The Cobra's are a good balance.

Gary
Did you change your intake at all? How long did it take to do total install? I think these sound pretty darn good. I don't wanna wake my neighbors up either but the stock mufflers seem a little too...subtle?

·
Registered
71 Posts
tdub,
I have changed my intake to the Cobra Powerflo along with the Cobra Slip-on mufflers. I also added a Dobeck Techlusion TFI fuel control system because of price. From what I have read, the TFI is comparable to the Cobra FI2000R, but I was able to find a better price on the TFI at Custom Dynamics. I was already familiar, and satisfied with, the Dobeck system, having run one on my last bike. Install took about an hour, but I worked pretty slow to cut the risk of scratching the chrome B) I also forgot to read all the way thru the instructions before starting and had to back-track a couple of times! :blink:

·
Peace
630 Posts
tdub,
I have changed my intake to the Cobra Powerflo along with the Cobra Slip-on mufflers. I also added a Dobeck Techlusion TFI fuel control system because of price. From what I have read, the TFI is comparable to the Cobra FI2000R, but I was able to find a better price on the TFI at Custom Dynamics. I was already familiar, and satisfied with, the Dobeck system, having run one on my last bike. Install took about an hour, but I worked pretty slow to cut the risk of scratching the chrome B) I also forgot to read all the way thru the instructions before starting and had to back-track a couple of times! :blink:
grwgramps,
How about giving us an update on the Dobeck Techlusion TFI as you ride. I would like to know your experiance with the use of this unit on these bikes. I for one take a lifetime to buy pretty much anything and read all I can about whatever it is I buy. In short, real world experiance is wht I look for before I buy.
Gas milage before and after
Power differances before and after
You know, all the info you can provide for all of us here on the cafe.
Thanks and look forward to any feedback you may provide for us. B)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tdub,
Is the powerflow a must have with the slipon mufflers ? Or is just for fuel mixture and power ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
tdub,
Thanks! Did you notice a significant increase in power? I'm also thinking of adding a K&N air filter. My old man swears by 'em.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Power-flo intake is for.....keep in mind these are cruisers, not performance bikes.....better performance by providing better airflow and drawing cooler air instead of heated air from between the cylinders. And it looks damn good! The Cobra intake comes with a K&N filter, tdub.
Throb, you don't have to change both, but you will maximize gain by changing both and adding a fuel control system like the Cobra or Dobeck.
Uncle Mank, I'm not sure I can give much accurate information on any power gains since I had everything added before I hit 600 miles, that and I moved from a 900 to the Sabre, so its all good!
As for gas mileage, I'm still in break-in so to speak, so fuel mileage has been consistent.
1. Bought the bike new, getting 39mpg.
2. Added pipes, intake, and fuel control, getting 39 mpg.
3. I set the Dobeck at factory suggested settings, but I can tell it's running rich, so I will be adjusting that over the next few weeks. I'll try to keep everyone posted on how it all works out.
As far as power, Yes, I think there is an improvement, and the Sabre just keeps getting better the more miles I get behind me. B) While I would like to get the bike dyno adjusted, my budget doesn't allow for that right now, but seat-of-the-pants will work for now!
Gary

·
Peace
630 Posts
The Power-flo intake is for.....keep in mind these are cruisers, not performance bikes.....better performance by providing better airflow and drawing cooler air instead of heated air from between the cylinders. And it looks damn good! The Cobra intake comes with a K&N filter, tdub.
Throb, you don't have to change both, but you will maximize gain by changing both and adding a fuel control system like the Cobra or Dobeck.
Uncle Mank, I'm not sure I can give much accurate information on any power gains since I had everything added before I hit 600 miles, that and I moved from a 900 to the Sabre, so its all good!
As for gas mileage, I'm still in break-in so to speak, so fuel mileage has been consistent.
1. Bought the bike new, getting 39mpg.
2. Added pipes, intake, and fuel control, getting 39 mpg.
3. I set the Dobeck at factory suggested settings, but I can tell it's running rich, so I will be adjusting that over the next few weeks. I'll try to keep everyone posted on how it all works out.
As far as power, Yes, I think there is an improvement, and the Sabre just keeps getting better the more miles I get behind me. B) While I would like to get the bike dyno adjusted, my budget doesn't allow for that right now, but seat-of-the-pants will work for now!
Gary
Gary,
Thanks for the reply. I will definetly keep up with your post here to see what updates you post. As I am in no real hurry to purchase any model at the present, this will give me more time to investigate wich way I will end up going. Thank you,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts