Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed Cobra's Sissy Bar for the Stateline. Had a couple of issues. The frame side mounts, rear mount point is too high. When you tighten up the outside chrome rail it comes up and hits the fender. So much that the front pins holding the fender down popped. I know I should have been watching and not do that. I put 2 washers as spacers and it just touches the fender.

The big problem I had and contributed to the front of the rear fender pins getting popped out during the rail install was when putting the fender back on I almost gave up. After 4 hours of pushing and then adjusting the rear frame extension, I barley got the pins back in and slightly angled forward. I still have not gotten the fender back on just like it was. I finally drilled new holes in the frame and eighth inch back from the original and screwed the fender down. I did have ruber washers the help protect the plastic fender. It came off easy and when I pull the pins out it did not appear to be under any stress. When I finally decided to adjust the fender frame extnesion, as a last resort it was slightly loose. I moved the fender frame extension to every position possible untill I got it to that almost spot and called it quits for now.

Anybody else had any problems reinstalling the fender or have any ideas what I'm doing wrong.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went back and took everything off and once again readjusted the rear frame fender support and finally the fender fell back in place without much effort. Thanks God, I was praying.

But the Cobra Stateline Sissy bar will need a major rework in order to be able to use it. Luckily I'm a welder and can do that. I will extend the rear mounts 3/8's inch to keep the outside chrome rail off the fender. Cobra either needs to check quality control at the manufacturer or they need to actually put one on a Stateline and re-egineer their design.

·
Registered
593 Posts
you should contact cobra with your mounting problem, could be saving some less mechanically inclined rider a lot of trouble in the future. Just give them a call they might even give you a break on something for all your trouble.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just received the Cobra Sissybar kit and have found the same problems. To get the front push rivits to line up I had to loosen the rear nuts on the license plate light assembly and then push on the fender as much as possible to get the holes close. unfortunately I broke the two fiberglass push rivets. When trying to remove the fender one of the rivets would not release when pushing the center post and it finally broke off. The other one got damaged when I tried to reinstall the fender. I didn't have the holes lined up close enough and damaged the push rivet when trying to push it in.

I will go to the Honda dealer to buy some replacement parts. I also had a problem with one of the front connecter bolts for the seat falling down inside the bike when I was not careful to keep a hold of it when removing it. I also found the M8x16mm buttonhead bolts for the sissy-bar mount bracket difficult to install without striping the hex head. I will need to find a shorter straight hex socket rather than the ball head. It requires quite a bit of effort to tighten the bolts past the locktight.

Installed Cobra's Sissy Bar for the Stateline. Had a couple of issues. The frame side mounts, rear mount point is too high. When you tighten up the outside chrome rail it comes up and hits the fender. So much that the front pins holding the fender down popped. I know I should have been watching and not do that. I put 2 washers as spacers and it just touches the fender.

The big problem I had and contributed to the front of the rear fender pins getting popped out during the rail install was when putting the fender back on I almost gave up. After 4 hours of pushing and then adjusting the rear frame extension, I barley got the pins back in and slightly angled forward. I still have not gotten the fender back on just like it was. I finally drilled new holes in the frame and eighth inch back from the original and screwed the fender down. I did have ruber washers the help protect the plastic fender. It came off easy and when I pull the pins out it did not appear to be under any stress. When I finally decided to adjust the fender frame extnesion, as a last resort it was slightly loose. I moved the fender frame extension to every position possible untill I got it to that almost spot and called it quits for now.

Anybody else had any problems reinstalling the fender or have any ideas what I'm doing wrong.
What size bit did you use for the holes and what kind of screw did you use to fasten the fender? Would it make sense to tap the holes and use a bolt to attach the fender or would that be too hard to line up?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Finished installing the Cobra Sissy Bar and Rack for the Stateline. Looks great. **The instructions that came with the kit say it is for a VT1300CS. It is possible I ordered the wrong part 02-5134 for a Sabre rather than the 02-5136 for the Stateline. My mistake. Reconnecting the front of the fender would have the same issue regardless of the sissybar. Only thing that may be different is clearance issue described by John1503 above.

To mount mine I drilled holes in the frame as described above by John1503. Thanks for the tip! Went to the Honda dealer and got some replacement fiberglass push rivets (part #90116-MCS-G00) and used them in the new holes I drilled to fasten the front of the fender. I found when reinstalling the rear fender it is important to make sure the two larger electrical cable bundles are threaded through the larger center hole of the license plate assembly otherwise the fender in the back won't seat properly over the metal spacers inside the rubber grommets around the three bolt holes. In spite of making sure the back of the fender is mounted properly I still found it necessary as John1503 explains above to drill new holes in the frame to mount the front of the fender. To install the frame side mounts (rear mount) I used 4 stainless steel washers on each side. I found it necessary to use a straight allen socket rather than a ball headed one to avoid rounding the inside of bolt heads. Had to push hard on the right side frame side mounts to get them to align with the bolt holes. There is some cabling on the inside of the fender on the right side that seems to interfere somewhat with the side mount lining up. I found it easier to loosely attach the rear bolt with the 4 washers first and then follow with front bolt. I left all four bolts on the side mounts slightly loose until I attached the sissybar and luggage rack. After those were installed I then tightened the 4 side mount bolts under the fender. Overall the job wasn't too hard for a DIY type thanks to John1503's tips above.

Here is a photo:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello, it has been two years since the last post here. I am considering the Cobra mounting brackets and rear luggage rack as Beeman. Does anyone know if Cobra has addressed these issues over the past years and have made corrections to their brackets? Anyone out there installed one of these recently with the same issues as above? Just trying to avoid future aggrevations. Life should be simple.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Started the install. One of the screws under the license light had a stripped head, must have been from factory, so used dremel to create a new Philips seat and got that off.

Seat is easy to remove per instruction. Use metric 5 allen socket head to remove (not the ball head type).

Now for the fender. Head on one of the push pins broke off immediately. That's not a big problem but........removing the fender was difficult as the bolt anchor point for the rear seat bolt was really tightly in the hole in the fender. Took some wiggling and pulling. After the fender is off...Cleaned the frame and underside of seat so I can work and not get dirty hands. Also suggest clean the underside of the fender cause you will be digging around under there when trying to reinstall the fender. The metal grommets will fall out and I don't want my dirty hands holding my painted fender.

Install of the inside brackets is no problem. I always use locktite so I don't have to worry about vibration loosening a bolt.

Now the trick...putting the fender back on. Managed to fight the three license plate/turn signal bolts thru the fender BUT the rear seat bolt anchor is not even close to fitting back thru the hole in the fender and therefore the front two holes when the push pins go are also not even close. Had to quit for the evening. Don't work frustrated cause just end up busting something and it's usually expensive.

So far I'd say Honda didn't do that good of job on rear fender fitment. Want to work with good light to insure something isn't blocking th fender from going forward enough to be back in place. It looks to me like the hole in the fender where the rear seat bolt anchor passes thru may need to be expanded just a bit, maybe a little oval in shape toward the front of the bike, to cause that anchor to pass thru the fender easier. Can always use a rubber grommet to take out any extra space. 'll get to the issue of whether Cobra made the brackets fit the fender or not in another post once I get that far. Don't want any rubbing so the spaces washers is a good idea.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update- continued the install, found that making sure the tail light wires are not obstructing and a little lifting on the rear bottom of the fender will let the entire unit slip back in place. There is still the problem of rubbing. I put self sticking furniture felt discs on the inner brackets so they don't rub on the inner fender. I will judge the number of washers to use on the front bolt holding the outer bracket but first I have lined the inside of each outer bracket with clear upholstery vinyl to protect against rub on the fender. Might want those brackets off some time and don't want my fender looking bad. Once the glue dries I will finish the project up. I am also putting the felt on the bottom of the seat where it is rubbing on the fender. Finish off with memphis shades fat 19 shield and ready for some warmer weather

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am interested in adding a luggage rack only....does cobra sell the luggage rack with the mounting brackets? or do I have to buy the sissy bar still?

Is there any luggage racks out there that require no drilling to mount?

·
Registered
137 Posts
These Cobra bars shouldn't take this much work. Something has probably happened with their suppliers or something. I would contact Cobra. Mine goes on and off without a hitch. Great clearance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts