Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, being the excellent mechanic that I am (LOL), I managed to install the Cobra air filter; only to find out that the final cover mounts with three hex bolts. AND, that the rear one would not fit between the cylinder and the mounting plate. It's a 1/4"-20 x 5/8". So now I'm looking for a shorter bolt, either 1/2" or 3/8". What a pain! They should have said to put that bolt in place before installing the mounting plate. It seems to be in place solidly with two bolts for the time being.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mounting was a PITA for me, too! :angry: I managed to use the original bolt on the back, just make sure the clamp on the rubber boot is tight enough to hold it in place, then pull the back of the Powerflo out just enough to get the bolt in and start the threads.
I sure think this could have been designed a little better, but I also think Honda could have spent a little more on designing the intake. The Kawasaki I had before this had a five-bolt flange attaching the filter assembly to the intake! But all things considered, Honda has a very good product. B)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it certainly looks good. It makes me look good. I feel better. The Cobra slip-ons sound better, I think. So................ I can't really tell. But it runs good and goes fast. What else do you need?

Well, it certainly looks good. It makes me look good. I feel better. The Cobra slip-ons sound better, I think. So................ I can't really tell. But it runs good and goes fast. What else do you need?
I did not get the juice box and just had it in for service and everything was OK.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I did add a fuel management system with the Powerflo intake and the Cobra slip-on mufflers, and I'm starting to believe either Honda has set the parameters on the ecu wide enough, or the mufflers maintain enough back pressure to keep the ecu within the parameters. I initially set the Dobeck at the suggested settings, but my bike ran so rich, the inside of my mufflers turned a very dark, sooty black! I have sinced turned the Dobeck down quite a ways. My bike runs good, but I believe it is still running a bit on the rich side. The next step for me will be to disconnect the Dobeck and see what results I get with that change! If you plan on running de-baffled pipes, or pipes with less restriction, a fuel processor will be a necessity, or if you are looking for performance improvements and are willing to sacrifice some gas mileage.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does this unit have a lower profile than the stock one (ie. doesn't stick out as far)? I really hate it hitting the inside of my leg.

On that note (and I'm no mechanic) but how on earth does the stock unit take in any air? It looks to be sealed up pretty tight??

·
Peace
630 Posts
Does this unit have a lower profile than the stock one (ie. doesn't stick out as far)? I really hate it hitting the inside of my leg.

On that note (and I'm no mechanic) but how on earth does the stock unit take in any air? It looks to be sealed up pretty tight??
The stock breather takes in air from the rear of the breather, between the cylinders. And not very much might I add.

·
Peace
630 Posts
Has anyone tried making teh stock unit work better by enlarging the opening? I haven't had mine off, but it would be interesting to see if it could be done....
If you alow more air into the engine, you are going to have to get a fuel mgmt module for sure. I have thought about modding mine, but I am waiting until after I do my exhaust first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts