Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, new to the forum. Just wondering if this thing was geared so short as to hit the rev limiter at 100 MPH or does it have a speed limiter?

On a side note, are there any videos/sound clips of pipes on here?

·
Registered
71 Posts
No, Honda didn't gear these bikes that short, it's our government making sure if we go outlaw, we can run long enough to get on one of those TV shows, but that they can still catch us in the end!! :lol:
Gary B)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nice one, Gary! I hear you Buckline, it annoys the heck out of me that my bike can't break 100. So far, I haven't seen anybody talk about how to remove the gov but surely it's just a matter of time.

Oh sure, It's not like I need to break 100, but it would be nice to know I could if I wanted. Just like I don't need 4 wheel drive (I live in the city and don't have a deer lease or anything like that) but I like knowing it's there, you know...just in case. In fact, most of the crap I have I don't need. Come to think of it, I don't need a motorcycle but that's not the gosh-darned-mother-grabbin-dad-gummed point!

Indeed not.

I want 4 wheel drive because it's the big man version of a woobie. I want a motorcycle because the wind washes away my tension, frees my spirit and keeps my powder dry. And, every once in a while, I want to go faster than 100 mph because it's freakin' awesome!

Does anybody know where this governor business came from? My old VTX didn't have one. Did California pass a new law that is screwing the rest of us? I'm kidding (mostly) but, seriously, is there a new law? I could look it up but I'd rather rant on motocycle forums.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,
I guess I will have to wait until someone comes out with something to remove the speed governor.
Yes I know I dont "need" to go over the speed limit, but it is embarrasing to have my friend on his fully dressed VTX1800 cruiser go by me like I'm standing still.

Buck

·
Registered
71 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
These bikes are NOT governed. You are hitting the rev limiter. Most bikes dont have both. At a stand still put your bike in nuetral and hold the throttle open. You will hear what I am saying. Take the bike out on the open road and hammer down. When you hit that 100mph mark dont let off the throttle keep it open, and you can feel its not like a governor. On the note with the 1800. even without a rev limiter he is going to get by you. The VTX is different all together. My VTX1300c had more power than my Stateline in my opinion. With the rake and the extra plastic of our new bikes I would not recommend 100+ mph. But I do agree, it would be nice if you needed it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
These bikes are NOT governed. You are hitting the rev limiter. Abbotdog

I'm hoping someone, a mechanic, perhaps, or anyone with the correct information will chime in, but here is my take:
I hit the 'rev limiter' at 60mph in second gear, 80mph in 3rd gear, not sure I've ever hit it in 4th. So that would indicate that 4th and 5th gears are only good for 20mph!?!
Maybe someone who has installed a tach on their bike would like to document a test ride on a long stretch of country road and tell us what rpm the bike runs out at in 5th gear?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I hit the 'rev limiter' at 60mph in second gear, 80mph in 3rd gear, not sure I've ever hit it in 4th. So that would indicate that 4th and 5th gears are only good for 20mph!?!
With wind resistance building almost exponentially, that could be the case, yes. I think the tach test will tell the tale once and for all though...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just for the sake of science, I took my Sabre out on the highway, waited until there was no traffic, then I dropped down to 4th gear, and held the throttle open. It will not go past 100 mph! That would indicate to me that these engines have a rev limiter as well as a speed governor. I drive semi's, and they've utilized the ECM capability of rpm and top speed controls for at least a couple of decades now. It would be interesting if someone with a tach and a need for speed would run out the gears to see what the rpm is limited to, and what rpm the engine is running when it chokes out at 100 mph.
Ride safe,
Gary

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys,

I know it is a computer regulated speed governor.

A speed governor and a rev limiter on these bikes HAS to be controlled the same way. Because the throttle plate is hooked to the twist throttle, the only way the engine RPM or vehicle speed can be regulated is by de-fueling/cutting spark to the motor. The defueling has to be all or nothing, otherwise it would lean out the engine and internal damage would result. Only a diesel or a gasoline engine with fly-by-wire can be governed smoothly. That is why (Abbotdog) they sound the same when they come up against these limits.

I am just hoping that there is something I can do to get rid of it without having to buy a Power-Commander. If I do have to buy the P/C, I might as well do some real mods and strech the legs out on her a little bit. ;)

I'm not so disappointed that I'm going to sell it or anything. I like the sleek lines and the clean look. I'm not a saddle bag or windshield type of guy. I did buy a Memphis Shades 'Alley Cat' windshield for it with the quick release hardware so I can take it off though. I kinda hate hitting Junebugs at 70.

I was just disappointed with the 100 MPH limit. It is pretty lame for a bike that has some pretty cutting edge lines to it. B)

Well, goodnight for now. Thanks also to everybody for the clips of exhaust tones and such. Kinda makes me think about makin' a little thunder.....

Buck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys,

A speed governor and a rev limiter on these bikes HAS to be controlled the same way. Because the throttle plate is hooked to the twist throttle, the only way the engine RPM or vehicle speed can be regulated is by de-fueling/cutting spark to the motor. The defueling has to be all or nothing, otherwise it would lean out the engine and internal damage would result. Only a diesel or a gasoline engine with fly-by-wire can be governed smoothly. That is why (Abbotdog) they sound the same when they come up against these limits.

I am just hoping that there is something I can do to get rid of it without having to buy a Power-Commander. If I do have to buy the P/C, I might as well do some real mods and strech the legs out on her a little bit. ;)

I'm not so disappointed that I'm going to sell it or anything. I like the sleek lines and the clean look. I'm not a saddle bag or windshield type of guy. I did buy a Memphis Shades 'Alley Cat' windshield for it with the quick release hardware so I can take it off though. I kinda hate hitting Junebugs at 70.

I was just disappointed with the 100 MPH limit. It is pretty lame for a bike that has some pretty cutting edge lines to it. B)

Well, goodnight for now. Thanks also to everybody for the clips of exhaust tones and such. Kinda makes me think about makin' a little thunder.....

Buck
how do you like that Memphis Shades? how does it look on this model? pics?
thanks

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Hey guys,

Buck
This was discussed last yr on the Fury boards, I contacted HealTech Electronics My link and they told me their SpeedoHealer would probably bypass the speed limiter (yes it does have a speed limiter and a rev limiter) they offered to send me one and if it did not work they would take it back, I personally did not want to try it, I passed the info on to the Fury board, and after all the talk of "haveing to go over 100mph", no one that I know of ever tried it. Also, they have a gear indicator that plus into the test plug under the seat

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just found a product called Dyno Research PowerCommander PCV that according to the rep on the phone said it will give 500 RPM's above stock. It will work on the Sabre, Stateline and Interstate. It's SKU is 16-025 Powercommander V and costs $399.95 The website is www.dynojet.com

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ok guys here we go these modern bikes have a ECU which is a eprom with a set of paramiters set by the factory
u can change these paramiters by flashing the eprom with a eprom burner using software to change the factory settings
this can be done by yourself if u have the knowledge the hardware the software and the skills
ecunleashed supply software and hardware to dealers that offer ecu re tuning at a cost
top speed and rev limiter are only but 2 of the paramiters that can be change
they boast a hp increase of upto +-20% on some bikes

hope this has helped in this debate

·
WHYNOT
745 Posts
I think there is a thread on the fury forum about how to bypass or remove the limiter. It looked to be rather involved and was a homemade, back yard wrench mod. The also had a thread on how to drill a hole (I think) in the intake and have a way to adjust idle.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts