Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looking at the service manual, and trying to figure out how to adjust the rear preload....hmmm... It looks to me like only the Fury comes with adjustment support? The Interstate doesn't? Kind of surprising considering it's nearly top of the line for the series.

If this is the case, then does anyone know if maybe the spring itself can be either adjusted, or replaced with a stiffer one? I've noticed the bike is a bit squirly at higher speeds, especially with a passenger. When riding solo, if I sit "back" a bit the ride stabilizes dramatically. Also, I put Samson slashers on, and can easily drag pipes when cornering, especially if I hit any kind of bump in the road! I'm reasonably sure it's a preload/dampening problem, and looking for any and all suggestions~

Tks!
Randy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looking at the service manual, and trying to figure out how to adjust the rear preload....hmmm... It looks to me like only the Fury comes with adjustment support? The Interstate doesn't? Kind of surprising considering it's nearly top of the line for the series.

If this is the case, then does anyone know if maybe the spring itself can be either adjusted, or replaced with a stiffer one? I've noticed the bike is a bit squirly at higher speeds, especially with a passenger. When riding solo, if I sit "back" a bit the ride stabilizes dramatically. Also, I put Samson slashers on, and can easily drag pipes when cornering, especially if I hit any kind of bump in the road! I'm reasonably sure it's a preload/dampening problem, and looking for any and all suggestions~

Tks!
Randy
Look in the owner's manual - it shows you how in there. I had my dealer adjust it when I went in for service. Due to my heft, I need the shock adjusted to it's firmest setting. Even then, I have to be really careful with speed bumps and the gutters at driveway entrances - I've already bottomed out once while leaving the garage at work.

·
Peace
630 Posts
On the bottom of the shock, just above the mounting bolt on the right side you will see the dampening adjustment screw. Factory setting is 3/4 back from its most firm setting. I set mine 1/4 turn back from full firm for my wife and I. I had to take the saddle bag off to make the adjustment. It is really fairly easy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts