Honda VT1300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Nice Job, Now you need to add a Butt Buster patch to your leather Coat or Vest. (Provided you did all 1000+ miles without spending the night somewhere in between). Also update the # of miles on your bike in your profile.... Again good job. I still have not done a ride that long yet. Its coming though.

·
Registered
131 Posts
So how was the ride? I mean as far as the bike is concerned. Good to handle after a long time in the saddle? Any Discomfort? Wobbles at certain speeds? How fast did you get the bike going? That kind of stuff. Any dislikes?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Actually it's real nice ride, specially since I added the Mustang seat with the backrest. I just kick back, put my feet up, put the throttle lock on whenever I can and it's almost like sitting in a recliner. Plenty of power for passing. Now I just need a helmet that incorporates my Ipod so I can listen to my music without the roar of my cobra pipes making it hard to hear.

http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc467/InsidiousRex/?action=view&current=Video0022.mp4

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I got me some noise reducing ear plugs which work out great (if our good with wearing earplugs on a bike).

Congrats on making the long ride safely, looks like you were having a little fun there. :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been sitting on this Nolen N103 helmet for awhile now and it is made for an installed all purpose headset. I checked out jmcorp.com and they have a bluetooth headset designed just for this model helmet for $450 and with a JBLU-DNG02 Dongle $69, I can connect to an Ipod, cellphone, gps, radio and intercom. I wont have to attach anything to my bike. The only problem is I don't care for the helmet very much. Be ok on cold days, but stink on hot ones and I live in Florida. I need to get the right helmet and go from there. They have some other ones that fit most helmets. The system comes with a noise cancellation system that is rated very high.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Back in November, of 2011, a friend and I had planned an Iron Butt ride for late April 2012. I was riding a Shadow Aero then. I picked up my new Interstate the Tuesday before the IB Ride. I rode each day after work to get the break-in miles done properly, had the bike in for its first service on Friday, and completed the IB on the weekend. We had 6 other people join us. That ride made me realize I made the right bike choice for me.

Our route was from Las Vegas, to Flagstaff, on to Albequerque, down to Las Cruces, then over to Tuscon. We completed it in 18 hours, then slept in Tuscon, and 5 of the group pushed on to complete a Saddle Sore in 36 hours. Not me! I and 2 others visited some friends on the way back, and made the 1500 miles in 40 hours. No regrets. I didn't have a cool vest then, and that weekend in April was killer hot!

The only aspect of the bike that didn't work for me was the placement of the floorboards and heel-toe-shifter (ok, and the seat!). I had no where to put my foot, since the rear of the shifter was in the way. I am 5'6" tall, but have very short legs; a 28" inseam. Instead of buying a new regular shifter, I cut off the heel part of the shifter and polished it (friends who have the proper tools did it for me in about 15 minutes). I now can rest my feet comfortably on the floorboards. It looks fine; I may change it out down the road after I get a new windshield and seat). I do wish I could move the floorboards back at least 2 inches, and even though I have short legs, maybe down and inch or two. The handlebars for me are perfect. I do mostly long rides, and my arms do not get fatigued.

The bike did great. We maintained highway speeds on the I-40 and had few delays. There was a lot of construction, but traffic moved well. A heck of a lot of trucks, too! I would choose a different route next time, to avoid the truck traffic, and also to avoid doing the last part of the ride in the dark. I would rather ride in the dark in the morning in more familiar territory and when I'm more fresh.

A group of friends surprised us in Tuscon by joining us for breakfast, and that was really fun. One of the ladies was tracking us and surprised us at our last stop to be our witness (so we didn't have to harass the store clerk!). A great experience overall!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I thought that i had problems with the floor board and shifter. I would like to do exactly what u want to do. It will be something to look at over this winter. I would hate to add after market floor boards as they can be costly and this was a major reason I had purchased this bike. I bought a 99 valkiyre interstate new had after market floor boards installed and they were spot on.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I love my heal/toe shifter. Never buy another bike without one. Once you get used to using the thing, shifting up is like spurring a horse with a much better response. You just need highway bars and pegs, then you'll spend most of your riding time with your feet on them and not the floorboards.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I like a heel toe shifter, and had one on my Shadow. On this bike, it was not a good fit for me, and I needed a quick fix for comfort. I have highway bars, and I'm looking at highway pegs, and probably different highway bars (I have the standard Honda ones, have been looking at the ones like wes_ben got). I was told the Stateline shifter wouldn't work on the Interstate, that was my first avenue to explore, since I figured I could hang on to the heel toe shifter and switch it back at some point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts