Hey All. My name is Donald and I live in Western Australia.
I bought a Honda Sabre 2010 in May of 2020.
This is my journey to customize and modify and paint to what I want. I do not know if anyone will see this but if they do I hope that this may help with anything you wish to do to your Sabre. Please be aware that some of this is out of order of when I did it, but it helps with the flow of each section. The story is long, but I hope worth it to someone who gets a Sabre late like I did or to someone who has had one for a long time and wants to refresh its look. Also, if you have an idea for anything I cannot come up with a solution on please PLEASE tell me
I was interested in a Honda Fury. And I travelled 450kms to try one out. But while I was trying one, I found a Sabre right next to it and fell in love with its look more so than the Fury. And bigger tank lol. It is SOOOOO sexy! By the way I enjoyed riding the Sabre far more than the Fury.
Unfortunately, I did not have enough money for it at the time. So, I returned home and started watching Gumtree to see if one appeared there while I added money to my fund for a new bike.
8 months later one finally appeared. Good condition (or so I thought) and low km’s and a price I could afford. And 2 seats!!!!
I once again travelled 450 kms to look at the bike. And it seemed to look good. (I did make one mistake when looking at it. I forgot to check in the tank for rust…. SIGH yep there is a small amount easily fixed). 8950kms on the clock… Less than 1000km a year. I am happy with that. So, buy it I did. And home I did bring it.
I rode it for a few months in short bursts while planning and preparing what I would do and buying what I would need.
At first, I just planned on repainting the tank, fenders and side covers and blacking out the rest of the chrome.
And then I did my second refuel and discovered the rusty tank. Now I want you to know that it is not super rusty just a bit, but still, it was annoying and now I must fix the tank.
And I also discovered the paint that the previous owner had done to partly black the bike out was very poorly done. In fact, it was so badly done that where he had painted it, he did not even sand the chrome, so the black paint just rubs off. Sigh….
And so, I added a complete re-blackout of all the parts he had painted to my list of things I would do.
In the meantime, I discovered that it is hard to get certain things for this bike. Sadness began. But it led me to the idea that if I cannot get it, I will make it or mod it. And I should say at this point I am NOT a handy person. In fact, people generally beg me to leave it for them to do.
But determined I am!
Also, I have been typing this story for a few months and getting the bike to a point I am happy to share this story with you. I have finished most of the set up tho I may edit some parts as I fix something here or there. And I will do a reveal of the bike when it is all back together and painted.
And so, it begins.
Post edits will go here.
18/02/2021. Pictures of the bike back together.