Honda Sabre 2010 Customization Journey. - Honda Sabre Forum VT1300CS - VT Cafe - Forum for Honda VT1300 Series Bikes (Sabre / Stateline / Interstate)

Photo
- - - - -

Honda Sabre 2010 Customization Journey.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Attiq

Attiq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Bike Info:3 different bikes but 4 in total

Posted 10 December 2020 - 06:33 AM

Hey All. My name is Donald and I live in Western Australia.

I bought a Honda Sabre 2010 in May of 2020.

This is my journey to customize and modify and paint to what I want. I do not know if anyone will see this but if they do I hope that this may help with anything you wish to do to your Sabre. Please be aware that some of this is out of order of when I did it, but it helps with the flow of each section. The story is long, but I hope worth it to someone who gets a Sabre late like I did or to someone who has had one for a long time and wants to refresh its look. Also, if you have an idea for anything I cannot come up with a solution on please PLEASE tell me

The Beginning.

I was interested in a Honda Fury. And I travelled 450kms to try one out. But while I was trying one, I found a Sabre right next to it and fell in love with its look more so than the Fury. And bigger tank lol. It is SOOOOO sexy! By the way I enjoyed riding the Sabre far more than the Fury.

AybxpXSm.jpg

Unfortunately, I did not have enough money for it at the time. So, I returned home and started watching Gumtree to see if one appeared there while I added money to my fund for a new bike.

8 months later one finally appeared. Good condition (or so I thought) and low km’s and a price I could afford. And 2 seats!!!!

NRyakWWm.jpg

I once again travelled 450 kms to look at the bike. And it seemed to look good. (I did make one mistake when looking at it. I forgot to check in the tank for rust…. SIGH yep there is a small amount easily fixed). 8950kms on the clock… Less than 1000km a year. I am happy with that. So, buy it I did. And home I did bring it.

izOM3uIm.jpg

I rode it for a few months in short bursts while planning and preparing what I would do and buying what I would need.

At first, I just planned on repainting the tank, fenders and side covers and blacking out the rest of the chrome.

And then I did my second refuel and discovered the rusty tank. Now I want you to know that it is not super rusty just a bit, but still, it was annoying and now I must fix the tank.

And I also discovered the paint that the previous owner had done to partly black the bike out was very poorly done. In fact, it was so badly done that where he had painted it, he did not even sand the chrome, so the black paint just rubs off. Sigh….

And so, I added a complete re-blackout of all the parts he had painted to my list of things I would do.

In the meantime, I discovered that it is hard to get certain things for this bike. Sadness began. But it led me to the idea that if I cannot get it, I will make it or mod it. And I should say at this point I am NOT a handy person. In fact, people generally beg me to leave it for them to do.

But determined I am!

Also, I have been typing this story for a few months and getting the bike to a point I am happy to share this story with you. I have finished most of the set up tho I may edit some parts as I fix something here or there. And I will do a reveal of the bike when it is all back together and painted.

And so, it begins.

Post edits will go here.

18/02/2021. Pictures of the bike back together.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 04:48 AM

#2 Attiq

Attiq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 December 2020 - 10:58 AM

Handlebar section.

Bye Bye old handlebars.

2x1WEWpm.jpg

Also changed the Mirrors 2 times

So, first plan. Hello new handlebars (from a Harley shop) and mirrors. – DONE. I am thinking of changing the mirrors for a 3rd time tho.

V0S1wWtm.jpg

No need to change length on cables it just fits with ease, I just moved the brake line and throttle cable to the back of the triple tree. 37-inch drag bar and 9 and a half inch risers with ½ inch clamping bolts. I read that people would drill out the triple tree. I did not like that idea.

Instead I drilled out the bolt hole on the risers and re-cored it as 12mm with 1.25 thread. I rode it and it was good.

About 2 months later I decided I do not like them, LOL, the bars are too wide, the risers feel very slightly wobbly (probably the length of them tho they do not actually move) and do not have enough pull back and are also 1 – 2 inches too tall, 8 inch risers would have been better. So back to looking for bars.

And bars I did find. Z-bars to be exact. But none of the z-bars would work with the Sabre. Either the rise was too short, or the clamping area was to close (they go from 1 inch to 1- and 1/4-inch bar) at 5.1 inch gap and we need 6 inches gap to fit the riser clamps or the width of the bars was too short (imagine 23 inches wide, original Sabre bars are about 29 inches wide tip to tip) and shorter bars make it harder to turn as it removes leverage.

The picture below is what I really want. But they wont fit because the clamping area is not wide enough.

9hEljDLm.jpg

So I thought and I thought and finally I thought that I would use my drag bar and make my own and change the current 9 and a half risers to 2 inch risers and the z-bar would have a 6 inch rise making a total rise of 8 inches. Which is better than 9 and ½ inches. But I still did not want to give up on buying them…. Sad, I know. I talked to some people and they said they can help me convert my bars to Z-bars.

2 weeks go by and I think that, make them I will have to do, but I still do not want to give up on just buying them. However last night (November 2020) I finally convinced myself to give up and just make them. 20 minutes after that I found what I can use. LOL serious I gave up and boom found the below Z-bar by fluke. Right height almost 6 inches (may have to buy a 3-inch riser to make the 8-inch total rise, will check with 2 inch riser first tho) 33 inch width.

SKYTwcFm.jpg

Website: https://www.fehling....rid=4&lang=eng this model 7758 L Z 9 HD schwarz

Took the risk and bought them to see if they fit. Still waiting on them to arrive. Will update when they get here.

Later I found this site by pure fluke as well. https://www.meancycl...m?partID=220175
Also found a Z bar there, more like the look I wanted but I had already paid for the other one so oh well too bad. Emailed them to see if they were still available to buy. Sadly they aren’t. That’s ok I’ll be happy with the ones I bought.

In the meantime…..

BWHAHAHAHHAHA allows Honda Triple Tree bolt hole to fit ANY Harley riser…… NO drilling required…… DONE!!!! Bought 2 sets just in case.

wJF23bYm.jpg

I bought new hand-grips as well.

TL22JAXm.jpg

#3 Attiq

Attiq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 December 2020 - 11:13 AM

Foot peg Section.

I also bought matching foot pegs and adaptors

qwLQ9xym.jpg

kjQQwxum.jpg

These adaptors DO NOT FIT. They require modification to makework. Be aware. I know they say rear, but this was what I was told would work. I wish someone would make proper foot peg adaptors for the Sabre then we would have many more options.

Modified foot peg adaptors: Small amount ground off on this side

oEeqiqWm.jpg

Larger amount ground off this side.

OPhvyInm.jpg

Remember less is more. You cannot add more back on, but you can take more off. Go slow check regularly that you have not removed to much metal. No redrilling of holes needed just grind the 2 widest sides.

izA3kmum.jpg

Re-painted

zGaoooEm.jpg

F59boE3m.jpg

Admittedly they are a little wide with the adaptors on. I will try riding it and see what it is like. I may remove the adaptors and just use the pegs which means they will not fold up.

JCgg0gOm.jpg

7rcgiyHm.jpg

Changed my mind the same day. Foot pegs no adaptors. It let me lift them higher with a spacer underneath which put my feet closer to the brake and gear lever. But they will not fold up. I will try to come up with a solution. Probably will grind the square side into a round shape and see if it will fold up.

#4 Attiq

Attiq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 December 2020 - 11:29 AM

Wiring Section.

A friend said he was coming down on his Harley Breakout and would I like to ride to his brothers 200kms away. I thought what a nice first long ride. I washed my bike and made it nice and shiny. Bumped my rear left indicator and had to push it back in. (The previous owner had changed the indicators to an indicator and brake setup in one, photos of the indicator down below) went for a quick ride to go dry out any hidden water and discovered my left indicators stopped working. Got home and pulled the seat off and the rear mudguard to discover this mess.

0a0yeKIm.jpg

And a mess it TRULY WAS!

EO8c9Opm.jpg

I still went on the ride after bodgying up a temporary brake and indicator light system (sorry no pictures of that for the following reason).

And off we went for our ride. And it was beautiful, and it was fun, and I was using the drag handlebar setup (this was when I realised, I did not like the setup). I was doing 120kms an hour (Local speed limit is 110kms an hour) I did not realise for the first 45 minutes that I was speeding whoops, and only in 3rd gear. Bike did not get upset at all in that gear, it rode so smoothly. I honestly thought I was in 4th or 5th. Tho I did probably use more fuel than I should have.

And then…… We got about 100km’s and my dash completely died. No indicators, no speedo, no low fuel light, only the high beam indicator still worked. I admit I freaked out A LOT. I did not want to stop as I was afraid my bike would not start again. We kept going and made it to where his brother lived. I left my bike running and asked if I turned it off and it will not start again could I leave it there till I can get a trailer to transport it back home. He said yep no worries I turned it off waited 30 seconds (heart was pounding) and restarted it NO WORRIES at all…. The bike was ALIVE, and I was able to ride home YAY!!

What happened you ask that caused the dash death. Well it seems my bodgy tail light set up was almost touching the rear wheel and rubbed on bounces, which caused it to short and blow fuses. Also discovered that the frame used to hold the licence plate would also rub on the wheel which had killed the licence plate lights. I shall be removing that.

I replaced the fuses, and the bike dash was alive again!

I tidied the wiring line up, as the way the previous owner had it, it was run on the outside then looped under the frame back up the inside and only just missing the wheel. And I do mean only just missing. Facepalm!

RLmn9YGm.jpg

I also cut and cleaned up the wiring nightmare near the end and made it into a plug and play system. It was also about 4 feet too long. Just WOW.

iZMeSk6m.jpg

Lights Section

I removed the crappy indicators the previous owner added. I could not just remove them I had to cut them off because of the wiring mess he had left me. (Excuse the paint on my fingers I had just painted the foot
peg adaptors). The brake lights on the outside were so dim it was not worth having them on.

2pwiuQKm.jpg

I removed the original front indicators

NvXxPm2m.jpg

And replaced them with these bad boys (well I like them anyway) they are brighter and led. I am looking for better indicator light holders. If you have any ideas, please let me know.

nDFoz8Am.jpg

I may put a set of them on the rear fender as well. I will see.

Also, anyone replaced the head light? Suggestions?

Misc Parts Section.

Bought a new battery. The old battery would not start the bike every time and basically if it did not get the bike started in 3 attempts it was flat and I would have to charge it fully before attempting again. (Again, sorry no photos). I bought a ETX36C. I had asked the previous owner about the battery and he had said it was less than a year old.

REALLY?

PU4XWmXm.jpg

What surprised me the most was right in the middle of Covid-19 I ordered the battery. I was expecting it to take a month at least. It was at my house 4 days after ordering and paying for it. I was totally shocked and amazed!

When I finally got around to changing the battery over (about 2 weeks after arrival) I had done some research into the CCA of a battery for the Sabre (before buying the battery). Recommended is 220CCA the new
battery is 320CCA and the old battery. WELP 160CCA was what was on it. I really want to slap the previous owner. He should not own a bike or should at least learn how to research items. New battery installed.
Turned on bike, bike started first go. And it has started first go every time since.

I also bought an OPTIMATE 5 AMP LITHIUM BATTERY CHARGER MODEL TM-291WITH BMS RESET for the new battery.

oMmqhuIm.jpg

#5 Attiq

Attiq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 December 2020 - 11:44 AM

Fender Section.

But I realised I would never be able to do what I wanted lights wise.

So, I talked to my mate and we devised a cunning plan. A plan no one would think of.

A Harley rear fender.

DON’T STEAL MY IDEA LOL… (Its ok I will not know unless you post pictures hahahahha).

My mate says I am changing my bike to a Harley 1 part at a time LOL.

hp8tVZdm.jpg

The first fender was a CVO springer soft tail (that is what I was told) and it looks good but was too long for my taste. I could cut some out but at the same time it was not wide enough and only just fit over the framework the side would need flaring to make it fit better. The seats fit very well tho; no modification would be needed for that. It really did look good!!!!!

3q2fmsxm.jpg

The second fender is a Breakout and is very wide. BUT it is the right length. And when I sat my single and double seats on it, IT LOOKED amazing but the angle of the front of the fender needs modification to allow the seats to sit correctly. So, breakout rear fender – CHOSEN.

And even better it allows me to do this to it with a small modification. (NO THAT IS NOT MY TYRE that is a breakout tyre and DOES NOT fit on a Sabre).

mA1410Wm.jpg

A TAIL TIDY light setup!

My first idea was to chop out the complete front of the breakout fender and re-weld some plate on the angle that would allow the seats to sit nicely. But upon further thought, I decided that chopping out 1 to 2 inches at the front of the fender to let it sit lower and further forward, and then to chop off the frame cross bars and lower them by ½ to 1 inch then rewelding them on, this would work in lowering it and angling the front of the fender to better sit the seat in.

Unchopped

qm7csN6m.jpg

Chopped and lowered.

sBmOgmim.jpg

I do think it could have been a bit lower. All good tho. Also the cross bar is a bit further forward than this picture.

Removed licence plate holder. (Was ugly as and rubbed against tyre). To be honest I do not know if it was standard on the Sabre, I just knew it had to go. So gone it is!

0qlkiovm.jpg

Again, my friend with the Harley Breakout suggested another idea to me. Try his old Breakout seat and pillion seat. I thought ok I can try it.

4uuU2f2m.jpg

Pro’s

First and foremost, this seat with the pillion weighs a quarter of the of the brown seat pictured further back up the post.

Next it weighs less than the stock seat.

Third it is unbelievably comfortable compared to those 2 seats. And I did think they were comfortable till I tried this one.

Fourth, I won’t need to allen key the seat off when I want to go from 1 person to 2 people on the bike (what a total pain to do EVERY time I want to switch, I have kids who love to ride with me, so I have to switch). I just have to loosen the 2 top bolts slip the pillion seat off and retighten the bolts.

Con’s

There is a LARGE gap under the seat. I will have to make a removable bracket to support the seat. (Not a big issue). Removable in case I get told to change it back to standard by the police =-( should not  happen but just in case.

SYwSrW9m.jpg

Sadly the Harley seat didn’t work with the rear fender. It sat too high. So, I used my single seat and the Harley pillion seat.

vuN8lUom.jpg

I’ll be getting the solo seat covered in black and I’ll be getting the pillion seat shaved a bit to make it comfortable to sit on as it is at the wrong angle so sitting on it isn’t right. I’m thinking about putting a red strip down the middle of the seats to match it with the paint I'll be painting it. And yes it will still be a red just not factory.

Update: Could not get the red I wanted so just want with plain black seats. Picture does no justice to how good it looks. Hopefully when on the bike it will look better!

6J7NNtAm.jpg

#6 Attiq

Attiq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 December 2020 - 12:43 PM

Forks Section

Simple: Fork Boots then the forks are blacked out the easy way.

Found some fork boots

Rear Suspension

Anyone got a suggestion for replacing the old rear suspension with something new?

Speedo Section

Thinking about a digital display. Has anyone got one they have tried? has anyone converted a Fury Speedo onto a Sabre?

Tank section

Tank cleaned and repaired on the inside using the KBS system.

Painting Section.

Painted Engine Block, Chrome Covers and Drive Shaft End. I will be leaving the right side (as you sit on the bike) chrome engine side covers off. I think it looks more kickass like that. The colour on the shaft drive end is called Black Cherry. I am really excited to show you the colour of my tank, fenders and side covers. But sadly that's about 2 weeks away as they have just gone to be painted today.

jMvtRA8m.jpg

Chrome Exhaust covers, rim's, air filter holder and headlight holder are back. Looking AMAZING, however had a major problem with the air filter holder. The powder coaters painted it as 1 whole piece and I couldn't split it to put the filter in. Had to take it back to have them undo the painting and repaint it split. Also took in locally engineered risers to be painted as well.

B3uuRI7m.jpg

Back together section.

OK IT IS TIME.

Here you go. i hope you like it.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Needs a wash HAHAHAHHAHAH

#7 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4686 posts
  • LocationThe Driftless Area of Wisconsin
  • Bike Info:2010 Sabre
  • Miles on bike?:29K not too bad for a bike that's parked for almost six months of the year!

Posted 10 December 2020 - 01:40 PM

Good set of posts, nice job!

If I was going to be painting my tank, I'd do the mod where the bottom seal is bent under to make the tank look smoother and not so "Manufactured"

Here's a link to a post of a member doing it.

#8 Attiq

Attiq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 December 2020 - 07:33 AM

Good set of posts, nice job!

If I was going to be painting my tank, I'd do the mod where the bottom seal is bent under to make the tank look smoother and not so "Manufactured"

Here's a link to a post of a member doing it.

I'm not to fussed about the lip. If I were I would actually think about using body fill to make it disappear. I know with my capabilities I would stuff it up and have to buy a replacement tank.

#9 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4686 posts
  • Miles on bike?:29K not too bad for a bike that's parked for almost six months of the year!

Posted 11 December 2020 - 11:36 AM

Yeah, there's always that, but a good body shop could be tasked with the job, by pressure testing and soldering if needed.

#10 Attiq

Attiq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 December 2020 - 07:20 AM

I'd have to travel 400 km's to find a shop like that here. More likely I'd have to go to the eastern states. That's like 3400 km's to one of the major cities =-(

#11 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4686 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 03:31 PM

Arrg, crikey!  :(

#12 Attiq

Attiq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 December 2020 - 07:33 AM

LOL @ Bob.

Hey do you know where to get new triple tree bushings for the Sabre? Got any advice on the other things I asked about?.

I've almost run my bike out of fuel. Once that's done the bike starts to be pulled apart for painting. Im so close to getting started I'm so excited!

#13 Attiq

Attiq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 December 2020 - 01:00 PM

Slight update done.

#14 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4686 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 06:45 PM

LOL @ Bob.

Hey do you know where to get new triple tree bushings for the Sabre? Got any advice on the other things I asked about?.

I've almost run my bike out of fuel. Once that's done the bike starts to be pulled apart for painting. Im so close to getting started I'm so excited!

I didn't mean to blow you off there Attiq, but finding new and used parts usually isn't really a big problem over here in the States with local Honda shops in most every city over 50K, and there's also eBay and places on the web like Partzilla 

Shipping might be a PITA, but watcha going to do?  <_<

What did you update?

#15 Attiq

Attiq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 December 2020 - 12:13 PM

At the bottom of the first post I put update details.

Updates were the tank fix and painting update.

Thanks for the Partzilla website just what I needed!!!

I'm looking for a top header bolt for the front piston cover and the 3 clips that hold the chrome ignition cover on. And I just did find them.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

#16 Attiq

Attiq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:46 AM

Updated Paint section. WITH PICTURES!!!! lol

#17 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4686 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 01:11 PM

It's going to look sweet!  Post up some BIG pics  :)

Are ya getting any sleep a night waiting for it to get done?

#18 Attiq

Attiq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:38 PM

[email protected]

I'll certainly post better pictures of the final job.

I don't sleep badly just when I am awake all I want is for my bike to be back together so I can ride it. HAHAHHAHA

#19 Attiq

Attiq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 January 2021 - 10:48 AM

Another update.

Seats done!

Triple Tree to be taken in and new bearings for the steering to be done!

#20 Attiq

Attiq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 February 2021 - 11:45 AM

I'm hoping by this Friday I will have pictures up of the completed Sabre....... YAY.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users