Helmet thoughts - General Motorcycle Chat & News - VT Cafe - Forum for Honda VT1300 Series Bikes (Sabre / Stateline / Interstate)

Photo
- - - - -

Helmet thoughts

helmet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4730 posts
  • LocationThe Driftless Area of Wisconsin
  • Bike Info:2010 Sabre
  • Miles on bike?:29K not too bad for a bike that's parked for almost six months of the year!

Posted 30 March 2021 - 08:30 PM

I brought up the issue of helmets just recently in another thread, and didn’t want to hi-jack that one any more than I already had,  I’m also sure I have touched on this topic at least once or twice in the past, but I think talking about our helmets from time to time is not a waste of time.

So . . . "If ya got a two dollar head, get yourself a two dollar helmet!"

Good helmets aren't cheap for a reason!  I bought my Bell Star a looong time ago, it fits me well and is holding up great, it was the transitions visor that sealed the deal.  It's both Snell & DOT approved.

I wash it inside and out quite often and I don't see myself needing a new one anytime soon, oh yeah, there is "The want" of a new helmet.  However dropping two to four Benjamins to satisfy the want of a new helmet isn't at the top of my list right now.

Living between a Cycle Gear, J&P Cycles and Dennis Kirk means I can do a day ride to any one to try on any of their stuff, which I have.  On my last trip to Dennis Kirk I was looking to buy a nice white ½ helmet, I liked the feature of tinted internal slide down visors, various manufacturers have assorted features, all of which were very interesting, but they all looked goofy, it’s called "Mushroom head," so I’m sticking with ol' blue for now.

And to hell with the old rule that you should replace your helmet every five years, I don't believe that crap, maybe owners on average are due for new helmets around that time because they treat their buckets like crap.  Or is it just a baseless statistic offered up by the helmet industry to increase sales? IDK.  But on my helmet there's no UV damage or road rash, in fact I've never even as much as dropped it on a carpeted floor.  I almost always wash it right after riding (And frequently during a ride) then I keep it in a padded carrying case from Bell.

With the small Boulevard windscreen that I put on my bike, my leather coat is usually free of bugs, but the front of my helmet always has a nasty layer of bug guts!

With the amount of money I dropped on my helmet, I treat it with a little more care than a two dollar helmet.

As always, knock on wood . . . I hope I'm not jinxing myself here!

Bob

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 08:45 AM

#2 Attiq

Attiq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Bike Info:3 different bikes but 4 in total

Posted 30 March 2021 - 10:06 PM

I'm with you. I felt terrible that it seemed I was hijacking that other thread. So good on you for starting a proper one.

So my 2 cents as a motorcycle instructor.

First: in the old days of riding (25 years or more for me) 5 years was about right. The materials were not as good as now. I would say that now its more like 8 to 10 years DEPENDING on how much you use it and how you look after it, can it last longer than 10 years? It sure can but again depends on use and care.

I had a Bell Star Carbon. I killed it in 4 years. But that's because I use it every day. I bought 2 helmets with the hope that they will last 8 year between the 2 of them lol.

Second: you absolutely pay for what you get. Pay for a cheap helmet you get a cheap helmet. Pay for a good one you get a good one. Research research research. I once was told a story about a guy who bought a Shoei Helmet $1200au he had an accident and a small truck ran over his head. He got up and walked away. His expensive helmet saved his life. Take that for what you want.

Open face, bucket or skull cap helmets while looking good on a cruiser are NOT good or safe. If you fall off at speed and plant face first goodbye face. The only safe helmets are full face helmets and even then.....

My 2 helmets are a HJC RHPA 11 Deadpool 2 helmet Cost when I bought it: $900au on sale Normal price at the time $1200au and a Bell Sports Racing helmet Cost when I bought it: $990au Normal price at the time $1500au.

Hope this helps someone make a safe decision.

fMJE9aCl.jpg?1

My Honda Sabre 2010

#3 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4730 posts
  • Miles on bike?:29K not too bad for a bike that's parked for almost six months of the year!

Posted 31 March 2021 - 02:07 AM

No no no don't feel bad about hijacking any threads, remember this place is pretty laid back, and the best of posts usually wander around as would any conversation among friends should.  :)

In 1983 I got my first real helmet, it was a Bell full face that came from Harley with the added cost of some stupid Harley Davidson decals on it. I got it as a joint Christmas gift from the family because I'm so frackin' hard to buy for.  I tried to keep it in good condition but it was junk to start with, it looked OK, the fit was piss poor and it had the aerodynamics of a parachute!  I was so happy to move on to a better bucket that fit, I can't remember what brand it was, as I had scrubbed the name off from it not long after I got it.

So what are ya going to do?

#4 burnsey166

burnsey166

Being a fat asian kid means I'm 'Buddha on a bike'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts
  • LocationSt Charles, MO (StL metro area)
  • Bike Info:2010 vt1300cs Sabre (current), 1997 HD 883 Sportster, 1990 Yamaha Radian, 1984 Honda Nighthawk 700s, 1982 Yamaha Seca, 1979 Yamaha 650 Midnight Maxim
  • Miles on bike?:16,970+

Posted 06 April 2021 - 10:44 PM

I'm with you. I felt terrible that it seemed I was hijacking that other thread. So good on you for starting a proper one.

So my 2 cents as a motorcycle instructor.

First: in the old days of riding (25 years or more for me) 5 years was about right. The materials were not as good as now. I would say that now its more like 8 to 10 years DEPENDING on how much you use it and how you look after it, can it last longer than 10 years? It sure can but again depends on use and care.

I had a Bell Star Carbon. I killed it in 4 years. But that's because I use it every day. I bought 2 helmets with the hope that they will last 8 year between the 2 of them lol.

Second: you absolutely pay for what you get. Pay for a cheap helmet you get a cheap helmet. Pay for a good one you get a good one. Research research research. I once was told a story about a guy who bought a Shoei Helmet $1200au he had an accident and a small truck ran over his head. He got up and walked away. His expensive helmet saved his life. Take that for what you want.

Open face, bucket or skull cap helmets while looking good on a cruiser are NOT good or safe. If you fall off at speed and plant face first goodbye face. The only safe helmets are full face helmets and even then.....

My 2 helmets are a HJC RHPA 11 Deadpool 2 helmet Cost when I bought it: $900au on sale Normal price at the time $1200au and a Bell Sports Racing helmet Cost when I bought it: $990au Normal price at the time $1500au.

Hope this helps someone make a safe decision.

I 'googled' your Deadpool helmet...hahahahaha

No no no don't feel bad about hijacking any threads, remember this place is pretty laid back, and the best of posts usually wander around as would any conversation among friends should.  :)

In 1983 I got my first real helmet, it was a Bell full face that came from Harley with the added cost of some stupid Harley Davidson decals on it. I got it as a joint Christmas gift from the family because I'm so frackin' hard to buy for.  I tried to keep it in good condition but it was junk to start with, it looked OK, the fit was piss poor and it had the aerodynamics of a parachute!  I was so happy to move on to a better bucket that fit, I can't remember what brand it was, as I had scrubbed the name off from it not long after I got it.

So what are ya going to do?

My first helmet back in 1984 was a black Bell helmet and my bike was a Yamaha 650 Midnight Maxim in black/gold. Awkward helmet for fit and finish. Just a crappy helmet all around. Fast forward to today, and I wear a Fulmer 1/2 helmet for tooling around town, and we both wear AGV K4 helmets for bluetooth capability.

I'm actually looking into the modular conversion helmets that change from 3/4 to full size.

Wayne

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body...
But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming .... WOW what a ride.

#5 Attiq

Attiq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Bike Info:3 different bikes but 4 in total

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:25 PM

The Bell Star helmet I had custom painted. Below is the link to show what I did to it =-)

Changed how I did it this should work I hope

https://imgur.com/FdIf2o7

Let me know if it doesnt

fMJE9aCl.jpg?1

My Honda Sabre 2010

#6 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4730 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 01:08 AM

Is that the right link Attiq?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users