North East USA - Photography & Travel - VT Cafe - Forum for Honda VT1300 Series Bikes (Sabre / Stateline / Interstate)

Photo

North East USA

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 steen15

steen15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada
  • Bike Info:2013 Stateline
  • Miles on bike?:12000KM

Posted 09 June 2018 - 07:09 PM

So I'm planning this summers trip and just looking for any input on landmarks or must ride roads that anyone has done before. This is my route Sault Ste Marie, Green Bay, Milwaukee, Chicago, Indianapolis, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Jersey, New York, Providence, Boston, Portland and the back to Canada thru Montreal. Few things I have nailed for sure is the Skyline Drive highway in Vergina and getting a proper slice in NYC. Pretty sure we're planning on stopping in NYC for an extra day to do the tourist thing too.

So any ideas just toss em out there, not going until August so lots of time to plan.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 05:26 PM

#2 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4559 posts
  • LocationThe Driftless Area of Wisconsin
  • Bike Info:2010 Sabre
  • Miles on bike?:>25K not too bad for a bike that's parked for almost six months of the year!

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:42 PM

Steen, I live on the West side of Wisconsin. Back in 2014, I did a three day loop to the U.P. of Michigan with some friends, we crossed the Mackinac Bridge. The guys who had done this route years before knew the sights, so along the way, one sightseeing stop was at the Sleeping Bears Sand Dunes on Lake Michigan, it was a fantastic view of the lake and a neat little ride through some canopied woods on a looping one lane - one way road to get there. After leaving Sleeping Bears we took Hwy 22 south, eventually stopping in Luddington for the night. Then bright & early the next morning, we took the sixty mile, four hour ferry ride across Lake Michigan to Manitowoc WI. On the S.S. Badger. (Go Badgers!)

The Western side of Michigan along Hwy 22 had an interesting mix to keep me interested, mind you, I was there only once.

I can't say I know what the country is like up in Ottawa, but the West side of Wisconsin sure the hell beats the crap out of Eastern WI. for riding and scenery. As for the 195 mile ride on Hwy 2 North of Marinette, WI. to St. Ignace, MI. I would rather have been sleeping, it was boring and flat, although it had a few nice peeks at the Green Bay and Lake MI., Manistique was a nice place to stop to gas up, stretch the legs and look South across the 290 miles of Lake MI. towards Chicago.

Green Bay is a nice place to go, especially if you're a Packer fan, getting your pic at Lambeau Field is required.

gallery_1004_72_119960.jpg

Door County is beautiful detour.

I hear Peshtigo is a must do if you're into whitewater rafting

It's probably out of your way, but the 180 miles of Hwy 35 on the West side of WI. from Prescott to Prairie Du Chien along the Mississippi River is one of my favorite rides, it's a beauty! sometimes jumping over into Minnesota & Iowa to keep it fresh.

Here's a Wisconsin Public Television program "Wisconsin from the Air"  You'll need to fast forward through the fund raising breaks.  I watch this every Winter to help me get by when I can't ride.

Well... there's a few tossed ideas to be considered rolleyes.gif

#3 steen15

steen15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada
  • Bike Info:2013 Stateline
  • Miles on bike?:12000KM

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:52 PM

Nice, thanks Bob!