Growl coming from clutch when first released cold engine. - Honda Interstate Forum VT1300CT - VT Cafe - Forum for Honda VT1300 Series Bikes (Sabre / Stateline / Interstate)

Photo
- - - - -

Growl coming from clutch when first released cold engine.

CLUTCH

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MDsimon80

MDsimon80

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE,
  • Bike Info:2015 Honda Interstate
  • Miles on bike?:7500

Posted 14 September 2020 - 11:36 PM

My 2015 Interstate makes a growl noise from a stop if I quickly release the clutch from a stop engine cold, once warm it goes away. 10k miles on the clock, Honda 10w-30 motorcycle oil. Clutch cable has plenty of free play. I used to use 10-40 but decided to go with 10-30 this year. No change. I have noticed the clutch lever tension is not what it was with 3k on it. Any suggestions???

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 08:35 PM

#2 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4635 posts
  • LocationThe Driftless Area of Wisconsin
  • Bike Info:2010 Sabre
  • Miles on bike?:29K not too bad for a bike that's parked for almost six months of the year!

Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:44 AM

My bike will also make a strange sound along with a rapid jerky grabby slipping feeling when cold if I don't pull the clutch lever a few times when the bike is cold, I usually pull the clutch several times while coasting in neutral before getting to the first stop sign

I live on a hill, I usually start my bike up, letting it idle while coasting in neutral down to the first stop sign that's over two blocks away, to let the engine warm up a bit and to keep the noise down in the neighborhood - I try not to be as obnoxious as my next door neighbor who always rings the piss out of his HD Big Twin with straight pipes when he leaves.

Our clutches are most likely OK, they're probably just a little sticky from the resistance of cold viscous oil squeezed between the discs and plates.

Try to do a few lever pulls in neutral before you drop her into gear on a cold morning, and see if the noise is absent.

I do it on every cold start as a habit!  But once in a while I forget and it seems that I always have an audience for when I do.

#3 MDsimon80

MDsimon80

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE,
  • Bike Info:2015 Honda Interstate
  • Miles on bike?:7500

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:07 PM

I will take your advise and engage and disengage the clutch several times, engine running above idle before riding. Thanks.

#4 Arby911

Arby911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Bike Info:2011 Interstate
  • Miles on bike?:17,500

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:48 PM

I too have this issue, seems it's just the nature of the beast and probably nothing to worry about. I just roll out of the garage (Backwards, down a slight grade) and fire the bike when I get to the bottom. Put it on the kickstand, close the garage door, put on my helmet, itch anything that scratches and by that time it's warmed up enough that I don't have the issue.

Just my experience, ymmv.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CLUTCH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users