Prodigal son - Stop by and say hello...introduce yourself. - VT Cafe - Forum for Honda VT1300 Series Bikes (Sabre / Stateline / Interstate)

Photo
- - - - -

Prodigal son

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 faded sun

faded sun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • Bike Info:Victory Vision Tour
  • Miles on bike?:74,000

Posted 15 December 2020 - 08:58 PM

Hi there, I am a long time Honda rider, from enduros to Nighthawks and eventually ST's. I currently ride a Victory Vision Tour but am looking for a slightly lighter ride for my daily (2-up) commute. I am also looking for a bike in California so I can ride with my son when I go to visit him there. I really liked the Stateline I saw while checking out a couple of VTX 1300's at the local re-seller dealer. 

So I am looking for any input from those who already ride one of these VT models. Any thoughts on these versus the VTX? Any hesitations on having a pillion rider?

Thanks for your time. 

If I pull the trigger on the Stateline I will be a regular here I am sure. 

Thanks,

JockAttached File  IMG_2680 copy.JPG   43.39K   7 downloads

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 08:55 AM

#2 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4683 posts
  • LocationThe Driftless Area of Wisconsin
  • Bike Info:2010 Sabre
  • Miles on bike?:29K not too bad for a bike that's parked for almost six months of the year!

Posted 16 December 2020 - 06:55 PM

The 1300 VTXs have carburetors, the 1800s have fuel injection, all VTs are injected

My 2010 VT-1300 Sabre has more than enough power to haul my wife & I all over God's green Earth.  I can say that we don't exceed the load limit, so your results may vary  ;)

The VTXs may have a higher load limit because they have dual shock absorbers.

#3 faded sun

faded sun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 17 December 2020 - 01:45 AM

Thanks for the input. I really like the look of the bike. But the dealer is asking $8K Canadian for a 2010, albeit with 2500 miles on the clock. That's a lot of cash-bars for a 10 year-old bike, unless you live in the fantasy-land of Harley riders. 

#4 faded sun

faded sun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 13 February 2021 - 12:19 AM

OK so I soon will have a Stateline in my garage. Currently looking for luggage for it as the mechanics at the dealer threw out the already installed saddle bags as they (or the poorly installed brackets) were rubbing on the differential and the brake housing..... :(

I could leave it naked as far as luggage goes but I am just too spoiled after owning ST's and a Victory Vision Tour to ride without somewhere to put a six-pack or a quart of milk. Or the wife's purse on the way to work... 

Have been looking at the TKY hard cases as I am pretty sure the bike has the Honda part needed to install them since it has a backrest already. 

Any input from members here would be GREATLY appreciated. 

Thanks,

Jock

#5 Ron in MO

Ron in MO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 06:08 PM

Another choice is something like these stock Honda accessory bags on eBay. They look a lot like the ones on my VT1300 Interstate, which is the same bike with factory bags and windshield. I think you will still need the Honda mounting brackets.

Attached File  5565CA6F-D9C6-408E-A005-18E830CA5ADA.jpeg   49.71K   2 downloads

#6 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4683 posts
  • LocationThe Driftless Area of Wisconsin
  • Bike Info:2010 Sabre
  • Miles on bike?:29K not too bad for a bike that's parked for almost six months of the year!

Posted 14 February 2021 - 04:31 PM

OK so I soon will have a Stateline in my garage. Currently looking for luggage for it as the mechanics at the dealer threw out the already installed saddle bags as they (or the poorly installed brackets) were rubbing on the differential and the brake housing..... :(

I could leave it naked as far as luggage goes but I am just too spoiled after owning ST's and a Victory Vision Tour to ride without somewhere to put a six-pack or a quart of milk. Or the wife's purse on the way to work... 

Have been looking at the TKY hard cases as I am pretty sure the bike has the Honda part needed to install them since it has a backrest already. 

Any input from members here would be GREATLY appreciated. 

Thanks,

Jock

It's too bad that an Interstate didn't come by while you were looking for one of these VTs, your quest for bags would not have been needed  :(

I do the throw over bag thing, so I can remove them in a couple minutes to ride without them when they aren't needed. And when they've been removed there's no fugly mounting hardware to be seen.

My Iron Rider saddlebags are no longer made by Dowco, but Kuryakin has a set that is very similar to mine at a decent price.  As a plus, my bags can go from bike to bike. I'd even consider lending them out to my best riding buds if they needed some storage for a day or two.  ;)

As for these bikes being suited for long distance rides, I'm going to say hell yeah!  I did a relaxed, three day 1,000 mile solo ride with no complaints, it might have been a different story from a passenger, especially with the horrible stock seat, I would have been getting an ear full of static after the first ten miles, and by 15 miles I'd have turned around!

If the former owner had not replaced the stock seat already, you will absolutely need to consider a Mustang, Corbin or one of the other seat makers. I like my Corbin, but I'm sure the Mustang is also very comfortable, but their styling lacks behind the Corbin IMO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users