The old and and the new - General Motorcycle Chat & News - VT Cafe - Forum for Honda VT1300 Series Bikes (Sabre / Stateline / Interstate)

Photo
- - - - -

The old and and the new

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4586 posts
  • LocationThe Driftless Area of Wisconsin
  • Bike Info:2010 Sabre
  • Miles on bike?:>25K not too bad for a bike that's parked for almost six months of the year!

Posted 07 June 2020 - 10:01 PM

Hey gang,  I just pushed the Sabre into the ol' garage to end the day of riding about 130 miles of roads that I've been on oh so many times.  But I couldn't ask for better weather or fellow riders to share the old familiar roads with.

Three old friends and one new, riding two Harleys and two Hondas, we all behaved ourselves, even me.

I usually have trouble finding riding partners who don't slam a couple beers at every stop, or do a burnout at every stop sign or even pass me on a wheelie @ 80MPH, I even had a riding partner once who always needed a burger or snack whenever we stopped.

But today was just a relaxed ride, no schedule, we were just out "Winging it"  We had a few stops to just shoot the breeze in the shade along the Mississippi River, and a couple stops way out in the rolling hills of Western Wisconsin.

With all of the scheduled rides that I usually go on during the year being canceled because of covid 19,  it's nice to get out and just relax!

Here's wishing the same kind of ride to all of you guys!

Cheers!  :D

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 04:18 PM

#2 ECHO

ECHO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • Bike Info:2011 Interstate
  • Miles on bike?:21,000

Posted 08 June 2020 - 09:51 AM

Awesome.   It's a great time when everyone is in synch.

#3 drchris

drchris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationWest Chester PA
  • Bike Info:Current Bike 2013 Stateline. First Bike 1970 Hodaka ACE100B. 2nd 1972 Yamaha CT2 175, 3rd 1978 Yamaha xt500 enduro, 4th 1980 Yamaha xt500 Enduro, 5th 1970 HD 350 Sprint, 6th 1982Yamaha XJ550 Maxum. 7th 1984 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S (wish I still had it)
  • Miles on bike?:16000

Posted 24 June 2020 - 02:03 PM

Sounds like the perfect day.

#4 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4586 posts
  • LocationThe Driftless Area of Wisconsin
  • Bike Info:2010 Sabre
  • Miles on bike?:>25K not too bad for a bike that's parked for almost six months of the year!

Posted 25 June 2020 - 08:02 PM

It really was, but today was a different story, My Wife & I took off on an afternoon ride to wherever the roads take us.  About thirty five miles out I remember an old spot hidden over in the middle of nowhere called Rock Dam Lake.  I steered the ol' Sabre in that direction and thought that the crushed road wouldn't be too long . . . . After five miles of that damn crushed rock, we rolled into Rock dam, it was absolutely beautiful.  We walked around and took some pics, and talked to the happy folk there who were also enjoying their visit.  I asked a guy what's the best way out of here to avoid the horrible crushed rock road.  He pointed me to go North then take a right then another right and I'll be golden!  he said it's blacktop the whole way.  :( Not so, almost at the end of that detour there was a "Road Closed 5.5 miles" sign, I said a couple foul words out loud (My Wife can't hear my voice at speed!) and decided to risk that the construction will allow a bike to pass.  We ran into a work crew that recommended that I turn back to avoid miles of fresh tar and newly ground up asphalt  :angry: .  So we had to backtrack about thirty miles to even get to a safe path home. 

gallery_1004_72_35639.jpg

I told my Wife that that's the way rides like this go sometimes, sometimes you win and find the coolest stuff, and have the best times with the friendliest people, and other times you run out of gas at the end of a dead end, crushed rock road, just as it starts to hail while the sun is setting, and you can't get any bars on your phone :o

But we eventually found our way out and ended up at a little root beer stand for some nice soft serve twist cones.

It might not have been the best ride ever, but it's 146 miles we'll never forget!

#5 Death Engineering

Death Engineering

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina
  • Bike Info:2013 Sabre VT1300CS
  • Miles on bike?:10600

Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:00 PM

..we had to backtrack about thirty miles..

Not an insignificant distance 2up on a Sabre.. I know what that's like! 

plzKQncm.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users