Where to find heel-toe shifter...? - Honda Sabre Forum VT1300CS - VT Cafe - Forum for Honda VT1300 Series Bikes (Sabre / Stateline / Interstate)

Photo
- - - - -

Where to find heel-toe shifter...?

sabre shifter heel-toe

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ChefJeff0115

ChefJeff0115

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL
  • Bike Info:2010 Honda VT1300cs
  • Miles on bike?:12000

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:01 PM

From what I've gathered on this site and many others, no one makes a heel-toe shifter for the Sabre. However, I understand that with a few extra washers I can mount the stock heel-toe shifter from the Interstate directly on my Sabre. The only problem is that I cannot find the whole assembly, floorboards included, on any site. I did find a few sites that let you order each piece individually but I'm not sure exactly which hardware pieces I'll need. Since they are EXPENSIVE OEM parts, I'm looking for guidance so I don't order something I don't need.
Also, I was under the impression I would need the floorboards to mount the shifter to (pivot point), but all I have found are diagrams, in multiple sites, that show a peg assembly. I want the floorboards so could I order aftermarket floorboards and they match up? If so, would I order the floorboards for the Sabre or Interstate?

Any help would be much appreciated,
Thanks all!

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 04:13 PM

#2 drchris

drchris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationWest Chester PA
  • Bike Info:Current Bike 2013 Stateline. First Bike 1970 Hodaka ACE100B. 2nd 1972 Yamaha CT2 175, 3rd 1978 Yamaha xt500 enduro, 4th 1980 Yamaha xt500 Enduro, 5th 1970 HD 350 Sprint, 6th 1982Yamaha XJ550 Maxum. 7th 1984 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S (wish I still had it)
  • Miles on bike?:16000

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:55 AM

Hi ChefJeff,

I just saw this thread. I am interested in how you made out with adding the heel toe shifter and floorboards. Did you use the interstate one and was the tie rod bolt the right length or did you swap that as well? Also, which floor boards did you end up with?

#3 burnsey166

burnsey166

Being a fat asian kid means I'm 'Buddha on a bike'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1883 posts
  • LocationSt Charles, MO (StL metro area)
  • Bike Info:2010 vt1300cs Sabre (current), 1997 HD 883 Sportster, 1990 Yamaha Radian, 1984 Honda Nighthawk 700s, 1982 Yamaha Seca, 1979 Yamaha 650 Midnight Maxim
  • Miles on bike?:16,970+

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:56 PM

Hey Doc...you might not get a response from Chef. He hasn't been on since Jan of 2016....

Maybe someone else can help you with that info....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body...
But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming .... WOW what a ride.

#4 Dezdon

Dezdon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationMaine
  • Bike Info:2010' Honda Sabre VT1300
  • Miles on bike?:4200

Posted 06 May 2018 - 11:19 PM

Hello!
I did this conversion on my Sabre when I bought my bike from the dealer. I had them send me the parts and I did the swap over myself.
Everything came from the "Interstate" model parts catalog. And yes, they are not cheap.
The floor boards use different length spacers and bolts for the mounting brackets to the frame. The heel-toe-shifter uses a different length shifter rod.
My dealer just added the items into my purchase price and loan. Unfortunately the individual pieces are not itemized on my receipt. The parts are lumped into an item line called "accessories" on my sales invoice. (along with my rear rack and bracket set, lower backrest and "Windvest" windshield.)
I remember sending my dealers parts department an itemized list of all the floorboard and shifter parts I thought I needed. I got them off a Honda website. The parts department came back and said my numbers weren't the OE Honda numbers. The other website used their own parts coding specific to their companies computer system. But every item was available.
I'll dig around through my boxes to see if I kept any of the parts bags. I'm a hoarder when it comes to bike parts. And I'll get back to you. But just so you know, everything was a perfect direct fit. I wouldn't want my bike any other way.
The only question is, do I now have a "Sabre-State, or an "Inter-Sabre" ?
-Dez
"Lives A Do-Over...Rinse and Repeat"

#5 Dezdon

Dezdon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:17 AM

Hello again,
I need to add some information to my previous post.
The good news is I have found the box my floorboards and heel toe shifter set up came in, with all the OE parts baggies and numbers.
I browsed through them real quick last night and realized there are some other small items that are required, I had forgot about. (pins, "e" clips, springs, the rubber for the floor boards are separate etc..)
I found www.partzilla.com matched the Honda part numbers when I enter a few numbers in a Google search. I need to find a way to list all these, but writing each item down would be rather taxing. (not saying I wouldn't do it for this group). I'm just trying to come up with a better way to get this correct info to you.
I tried to post a quick picture of the assemblies on my bike last night also but ran into a snafu with Photobucket holding my images hostage now for a ridiculous monthly hosting fee. Wtf Photobucket???! I'll need to search on here and find what you folks have been posting attached images with, (I hadent posted a picture on here in awhile) If one of you guys or gals have this image attaching issue figured out, I'm all ears, very much appreciate the help.
Btw, when I did a search of some of the individual part numbers, Partzilla's results showed me what bikes these parts fit. I was taken back by how long Honda has been using some of the same parts. Yeah I get the VTX and the VT1300's are very interchangeable, but when you see some of these parts going back to 2005 and later, you start to think " well those sneaky bastards". I mean do any of you folks have any parts on your 2016-2018 Dodge Chargers etc.. from 2005? (or other car models of course, that would be a part that is 13 years old on today's models) I get whole profit thing, but I do believe Honda needs to put a fresh face on our class of cruiser.

#6 Arch

Arch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationFredericksburg, VA
  • Bike Info:Current: 2010 Saber (VT1300CSA) Past bikes: 2008 Honda Shadow Spirit (VT750C2), 1987 Honda Rebel (CMX450), 1976 Honda CB200T (my very first vehicle)
  • Miles on bike?:Always Increasing

Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:09 AM

Bob's post on uploading/posting pics was updated to suggest using IMGUR, since Photobucket is now charging for their service.

http://www.vtcafe.co...pic=1480&p=8619

#7 Dezdon

Dezdon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:31 AM

Thank you! Man, it's a heck of a lot faster the Photobucket. It looks like it's showing my link, not the image?
I was thinking about posting pictures of the individual parts bags lables I have for the heel toe shifter and floor boards. This way there is no chance of mis-typing on my part. Fortunately it looks like I kept the individual components separate and didn't mix up or combine both sets of parts.
I'll help best as I can, let me know what works best for you.
Test images from Imgur:
https://imgur.com/a/L7AIDY3
https://imgur.com/a/L7AIDY3

#8 Arch

Arch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationFredericksburg, VA
  • Bike Info:Current: 2010 Saber (VT1300CSA) Past bikes: 2008 Honda Shadow Spirit (VT750C2), 1987 Honda Rebel (CMX450), 1976 Honda CB200T (my very first vehicle)
  • Miles on bike?:Always Increasing

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:13 AM

Links worked.  Looks like you have the same color red as Bob's ride. :)

#9 Dezdon

Dezdon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:13 AM

Uggg, I just noticed how old the original posting was on this thread and may have jumped the gun. Sorry to take up your time and webspace.
Doc, if I can help let me know. Or anyone eles. (yes Doc, the shift linkage or tie rod, is unique to the Interstate heel toe shifter set up, but is a direct fit to a Sabre)
Besides, I'm getting a work out trying to post images, I'm trying to post with my iPad and the "link" icon Bob talks about doesn't pop up on Apple devices.. no Flash. I did finally get it with Tap-talk. Geeezzz (stupid Apple)
Hey...you folks be safe out there!
-Dez

#10 sprocket

sprocket

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationsydney australia
  • Bike Info:2010 VT1300 sabre
  • Miles on bike?:9800klm

Posted 30 May 2018 - 04:21 AM

re honda using old part numbers  for new model bikes and cars  , this a good idea , its safes a lot in R&D costs  , why make a new part when they have an old part number that will do the same job 

#11 burnsey166

burnsey166

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1883 posts
  • Bike Info:2010 vt1300cs Sabre (current), 1997 HD 883 Sportster, 1990 Yamaha Radian, 1984 Honda Nighthawk 700s, 1982 Yamaha Seca, 1979 Yamaha 650 Midnight Maxim

Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:54 AM

re honda using old part numbers  for new model bikes and cars  , this a good idea , its safes a lot in R&D costs  , why make a new part when they have an old part number that will do the same job 

If it works, then don't fix it.

Hey Sprocket, you got any pics of your bike and and rides down under?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body...
But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming .... WOW what a ride.

#12 drchris

drchris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationWest Chester PA
  • Bike Info:Current Bike 2013 Stateline. First Bike 1970 Hodaka ACE100B. 2nd 1972 Yamaha CT2 175, 3rd 1978 Yamaha xt500 enduro, 4th 1980 Yamaha xt500 Enduro, 5th 1970 HD 350 Sprint, 6th 1982Yamaha XJ550 Maxum. 7th 1984 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S (wish I still had it)
  • Miles on bike?:16000

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:25 PM

Hey Doc...you might not get a response from Chef. He hasn't been on since Jan of 2016....

Maybe someone else can help you with that info....

Thanks Burnsey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 burnsey166

burnsey166

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1883 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 06:07 PM

Hi ChefJeff,

I just saw this thread. I am interested in how you made out with adding the heel toe shifter and floorboards. Did you use the interstate one and was the tie rod bolt the right length or did you swap that as well? Also, which floor boards did you end up with?

I seem to recall a thread where I listed that I was wanting to change my Sabre foot controls with the Interstate. Thereby keeping with the factory parts and bypassing any potential issues with fitment of non-Honda parts. I was really wanting to avoid any control issues since it's my body on the line and I don't heal as fast as I did in my younger days (I'm a little gray around the edges too!).

Someone, I don't recall who, and I can't find the thread, stated that he had changed over and everything worked great. I became accustom to the standard controls again, and never did the conversion.

Maybe Bob remembers who did that....Bob?

#14 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4586 posts
  • LocationThe Driftless Area of Wisconsin
  • Bike Info:2010 Sabre
  • Miles on bike?:>25K not too bad for a bike that's parked for almost six months of the year!

Posted 10 May 2019 - 01:52 AM

Maybe here

That link will lead you to this page too

I have a post in there somewhere that shows a bike bandit page. Go to your model and year, then check under control and then OEM

#15 slickman

slickman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach SC
  • Bike Info:2010 Honda Stateline
  • Miles on bike?:6500

Posted 17 July 2020 - 07:28 AM

I have been looking for this too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sabre, shifter heel-toe

1 user(s) are reading this topic