Taking the noise down a peg - Honda Sabre Forum VT1300CS - VT Cafe - Forum for Honda VT1300 Series Bikes (Sabre / Stateline / Interstate)

Photo
- - - - -

Taking the noise down a peg

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Death Engineering

Death Engineering

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina
  • Bike Info:2013 Sabre VT1300CS
  • Miles on bike?:10600

Posted 29 August 2020 - 08:12 PM

Cheers, All!

I took my ride out the other day, just to get the temps up and smell the morning. After a brisk run on the highway, sporting my 3/4 helmet and WWII goggles, I felt a little rattled (more than normal..) from the booming HardKrome Sideburner.  

I'd already tried an aftermarket baffle which gave the note an evil drone. I also tried to fabricate one, but blew it out the tailpipe (it was however helpful while it lasted). 

So, that's it. We're going to try and beat this bazooka into a kitten. I pulled the pipes and muffler off this morning, but it was a few days since it ran last, so it was totally cold. I realized this folly only when I went to try and extract the crush gaskets from the block. Siezed.

While I have the rags in the exhaust ports overnite (I'm not a monster.. they're virgin microfiber cloths), I will light the garage up tomorrow for some pics of the situation and where I'm planning on adding some purr to this Hond-owitzer.

Until then, does anyone have any good advice (notice the use of the word 'good'.. I know this crowd  :lol:  ) on how to extract these nasty old gaskets from the soft metal of my engine's smooth, supple exhaust ports?

-chuck

plzKQncm.jpg

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 11:31 AM

#2 Rollout

Rollout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • LocationIllinois
  • Bike Info:2013 Interstate VT1300CT
  • Miles on bike?:28k

Posted 30 August 2020 - 10:32 AM

Years ago I snagged the back of my gaskets with a curved pick and may have also used needle nose pliers to pull the rest of the way out.

Just need to be patient and gentle while extracting.

Rollout

#3 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4644 posts
  • LocationThe Driftless Area of Wisconsin
  • Bike Info:2010 Sabre
  • Miles on bike?:29K not too bad for a bike that's parked for almost six months of the year!

Posted 31 August 2020 - 01:16 AM

A few shots of the ol' WD-40 wouldn't hurt anything.

I think I used, or at least tried to use my external snap ring pliers to get mine out.

But Rollout's tip of the curved pick sounds solid, and it's got my vote!

#4 Death Engineering

Death Engineering

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 31 August 2020 - 07:02 AM

Thanks, Rollout and Bob!  I cut my finger pretty bad yesterday so this is on pause for a few days.. 

plzKQncm.jpg

#5 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4644 posts
  • Miles on bike?:29K not too bad for a bike that's parked for almost six months of the year!

Posted 31 August 2020 - 11:22 AM

Well Chuck, I sure hope ya didn't need any stitches, but you can give that WD-40 a little head start.

When you get to be my age, a "Bum back" is usually what keeps me off my bike, or even bending down to work on it.  :(

#6 Rollout

Rollout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • LocationIllinois
  • Bike Info:2013 Interstate VT1300CT
  • Miles on bike?:28k

Posted 31 August 2020 - 07:10 PM

How about it Bob.

Aging isn't for the faint of heart.

Rollout

#7 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4644 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 11:07 AM

You're right, but I think it beats the alternative!

#8 Arby911

Arby911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Bike Info:2011 Interstate
  • Miles on bike?:17,500

Posted 09 September 2020 - 08:26 AM

You're right, but I think it beats the alternative!

I don't know for sure if you're right but I'm not willing to test the theory yet...

FWIW, I wouldn't wish WD40 on an enemy....Kroil, PB (Blaster), Liquid Wrench...anything actually designed to penetrate and lubricate.

A couple of days of good penetrating oil and the aforementioned pick seem like the most viable solution.

I saw many nice things ruined by relying on WD40 when I was a machinist many, many years ago.  

Use WD40 for what it was designed for, displacing water on electrical components. Or lighting Hornet's nests on fire...

IMO, YMMV, Don't try this at home, Objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear etc.

#9 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4644 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 12:51 PM

I guess I've never had any problems with WD-40, and I do have a can of liquid wrench on the shelf for real nasty situations.

On an old Yahoo FJ1200 group, there was an old guy who said he was a mechanic on a submarine, he said he used oil of wintergreen because there was nothing better, he could've just been shooting jetsam out of his rear torpedo tube  :lol:  But I've always kept an eye out for that stuff!

#10 Death Engineering

Death Engineering

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 26 October 2020 - 08:57 AM

It is done.. and it is good.

Finally had a chance to really run the new quiet-mode on the weekend and very pleased how it turned out. The exhaust has the same deep rumble of the big Sideburner exhaust, but took the roar out. 

Did the mod with two pieces:

• Sheet of muffler damping wrap. 
  • Generic bolt-on damper.

1dk9WxNl.jpg

First, I put cut and thinned the damper material a bit to fit better. Then I rolled it into a tube and pushed it into the inner cavity of the main muffler body. The generic muffler baffle went in after to basically hold it in place.

6XDKZzVl.jpg

I was pleased to have found a cheap and perfect fit baffle on eBay. Note how it affixes; a bolt that extrudes against the inner wall of the muffler body. Brilliant and well-secured.

co8ElHem.jpg

BTW, I found a good tip on removing the exhaust gaskets on another Honda forum: with a small screwdriver or similar lightly tap the muffler-facing side of the gasket. It breaks the seal and comes out ez.

(Yeah the finger wound was bad. When I saw the leather glove I was wearing was cut and the finger part almost off I was a little worried, then the blood came and then I was concerned. Luckily the glove did its job and after some healing just about have motion and touch back. Yay?)

plzKQncm.jpg

#11 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4644 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 10:09 AM

It's good to hear that you're healed up and the damage isn't permanent!

Did ya do a before & after recording of the full glorius roar before doing the dampening, for a comparison?

Do you have a fuel controller i.e. Power Commander installed?  If so, I think there's a few of us that might be curious on your MPG stats too (At least I am!)

#12 Death Engineering

Death Engineering

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 26 October 2020 - 01:19 PM

Did ya do a before & after recording of the full glorius roar before doing the dampening, for a comparison?

Do you have a fuel controller i.e. Power Commander installed?  If so, I think there's a few of us that might be curious on your MPG stats too (At least I am!)

Wouldn't a video be a great idea?  I'd already pulled off the exhaust to measure and paint before that occurred to me. If you're in the US, you probably heard it.

I have a Cobra fuel controller, with stock settings. MPG is typically 36 but I've not checked it in awhile (see resetting trip ODO..).

plzKQncm.jpg

#13 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4644 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 04:38 PM

We were all wondering here in Wisconsin what & where that big snarling growl sound was coming from over in the eastern atmosphere!

#14 61jack

61jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNorthern Arizona
  • Miles on bike?:1300

Posted Yesterday, 04:13 PM

It is done.. and it is good.

Finally had a chance to really run the new quiet-mode on the weekend and very pleased how it turned out. The exhaust has the same deep rumble of the big Sideburner exhaust, but took the roar out. 

Did the mod with two pieces:

• Sheet of muffler damping wrap. 
  • Generic bolt-on damper.

1dk9WxNl.jpg

First, I put cut and thinned the damper material a bit to fit better. Then I rolled it into a tube and pushed it into the inner cavity of the main muffler body. The generic muffler baffle went in after to basically hold it in place.

6XDKZzVl.jpg

I was pleased to have found a cheap and perfect fit baffle on eBay. Note how it affixes; a bolt that extrudes against the inner wall of the muffler body. Brilliant and well-secured.

co8ElHem.jpg

BTW, I found a good tip on removing the exhaust gaskets on another Honda forum: with a small screwdriver or similar lightly tap the muffler-facing side of the gasket. It breaks the seal and comes out ez.

(Yeah the finger wound was bad. When I saw the leather glove I was wearing was cut and the finger part almost off I was a little worried, then the blood came and then I was concerned. Luckily the glove did its job and after some healing just about have motion and touch back. Yay?)

Do you have a link to which baffle you used? I also need to get rid of a bit of roar out of my sideburner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users