Honda Sabre 2010 Customization Journey. - Page 2 - Honda Sabre Forum VT1300CS - VT Cafe - Forum for Honda VT1300 Series Bikes (Sabre / Stateline / Interstate)

Photo
- - - - -

Honda Sabre 2010 Customization Journey.

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4687 posts
  • LocationThe Driftless Area of Wisconsin
  • Bike Info:2010 Sabre
  • Miles on bike?:29K not too bad for a bike that's parked for almost six months of the year!

Posted 07 February 2021 - 07:23 PM

Well I hope the rain will be over by then. So you can get some good shots when the sun peeks out of the clouds.  B)

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 02:02 AM

#22 Attiq

Attiq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Bike Info:3 different bikes but 4 in total

Posted 08 February 2021 - 08:42 AM

HAHAHAHAHAH How on earth did you know it was raining here yesterday and today...... LOL

I'm annoyed at myself today. I saw a bit of chrome on the edge of my headlight join so I tried to fix it and completely messed up my front headlight cover and had to completely strip it back and repaint it...... Only to discover the strap I had on the bike while on the bike jack rubbed on the shaft drive cover and now I need to strip that down and repaint that as well...... Paint takes days to dry but months to cure properly =-(.

SO ANNOYED... I hope I can still have it all ready for this Friday otherwise it will be Monday next week =-(.

#23 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4687 posts
  • Miles on bike?:29K not too bad for a bike that's parked for almost six months of the year!

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:32 AM

Well, until then I hope your cobbers down at the boozer don't throw too big a wobbly with the delay!  :lol:

#24 Attiq

Attiq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 February 2021 - 07:27 AM

Welp both pieces are repainted and I left them out in the sun all day. If it's nice tomorrow I'll do the same and then Thursday I'll polish them and put them back on.

Then Its just waiting for the Risers, Air Filter, Tank, Fenders and Side Covers. Ohhhhhh I better go get some fuel.....

#25 Attiq

Attiq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 February 2021 - 08:22 PM

OOOOKKKKK. Final Pictures are up. Hidden in spoiler tags  :ph34r: . I hope everyone likes it. Paint is called Blood Red with Mutant Crystals.

I am STILL not happy with my handlebars.. I am thinking about getting some Biltwell slim risers and a different Z Bar. The one I currently have is 140mm high the one I am thinking about is 235mm high. This would allow me to have my bars closer to me as what I have at the moment is about the same as the original bars. If I do I'll update the pictures.

#26 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4687 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 11:57 PM

That is freakin' beautiful Attiq!  

Nice job  :)

#27 Attiq

Attiq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 February 2021 - 01:54 AM

The pictures don't do the paint job justice LOL the Clear coat shines to much making the paint harder to see. Hope the pictures were big enough this time  hahahaha.

And thanks Bob for the response in the positive.

#28 mschwarz

mschwarz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationFreeburg il
  • Bike Info:2011 Interstate VT1300CT
  • Miles on bike?:19000

Posted 18 February 2021 - 12:47 PM

@Attiq Beautify done! Question about the paint. Is it a graphic layout and candied or is that the way the paint sets up? I've seen crackle and hammered paint set up similarly with a real thick candy looks amazing. 

#29 Attiq

Attiq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 February 2021 - 06:13 AM

Hey Mschwarz.

So the only way I can explain it is as follows.

Primer followed by either Silver or Black (I chose Silver) then you get this liquid called mutant crystal. Its a liquid, you get a clean cloth soak it with mutant crystal and wipe it over the silver paint in a medium to slightly heavy amount. Then you wait for it to dry. What the liquid does is as it drys it forms crystals (the warmer the day the better you get larger crystals, colder days form smaller crystals, humidity can also affect it). You then spray an over reduced opposite colour (so in my case Black), make sure it is over reduced! When its dry, get a scotch brite pad and warm soapy water. Scuff the crystals off. This lets the silver pop through where the crystals were that you scuffed off. Then choose a Candy colour you like and paint over it. The silver turns the colour you chose, the black of course stays black. Then 2k Clear, sand, buff and polish and your done!

The company I got the paint from also makes the mutant crystal. (I am sure other countries would have similar products.) The companies website name is https://www.dna-paints.com/ they have some fully awesome colours. My colour was Blood Red.

Oh and the effect is TOTALLY Random every time NO 2 bikes would ever be the same even with the exact same mods I did and the same paint. The crystals form differently for each bike.

#30 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4687 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 07:00 PM

I hope you're going to go out and enjoy a ride on your scoot in your toasty weather today there Attiq.

It's finally starting to warm up a little bit here too, and it just stopped snowing.

Things are definitely lookin' up!

#31 Attiq

Attiq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 February 2021 - 05:36 AM

Oh yes. I have been riding it everyday since I put fuel in it last Friday.

Tho I scared myself.... I moved a coolant clamp to make it sit better and did it back up about a month ago. Well when riding the bike around I suddenly developed a coolant leak but because it was a month between moving the clamp and restarting the bike I didnt realise where the problem was to begin with.... Figured out where the leak was and what I had done with the clamp yesterday and moved the clamp back to its original position and it stopped leaking.... I think the clamp is dying so I'll replace that!

#32 Arby911

Arby911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Bike Info:2011 Interstate
  • Miles on bike?:17,500

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:54 PM

Very nice! While the mods you've done aren't to my taste, they still seem very well done and it all works together. I can admire the work without feeling the need to duplicate it, so thanks for that!

And I absolutely love the paint!!

#33 mschwarz

mschwarz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationFreeburg il

Posted 25 February 2021 - 04:46 PM

Handlebar section.

Bye Bye old handlebars.

2x1WEWpm.jpg

Also changed the Mirrors 2 times

So, first plan. Hello new handlebars (from a Harley shop) and mirrors. – DONE. I am thinking of changing the mirrors for a 3rd time tho.

V0S1wWtm.jpg

No need to change length on cables it just fits with ease, I just moved the brake line and throttle cable to the back of the triple tree. 37-inch drag bar and 9 and a half inch risers with ½ inch clamping bolts. I read that people would drill out the triple tree. I did not like that idea.

Instead I drilled out the bolt hole on the risers and re-cored it as 12mm with 1.25 thread. I rode it and it was good.

About 2 months later I decided I do not like them, LOL, the bars are too wide, the risers feel very slightly wobbly (probably the length of them tho they do not actually move) and do not have enough pull back and are also 1 – 2 inches too tall, 8 inch risers would have been better. So back to looking for bars.

And bars I did find. Z-bars to be exact. But none of the z-bars would work with the Sabre. Either the rise was too short, or the clamping area was to close (they go from 1 inch to 1- and 1/4-inch bar) at 5.1 inch gap and we need 6 inches gap to fit the riser clamps or the width of the bars was too short (imagine 23 inches wide, original Sabre bars are about 29 inches wide tip to tip) and shorter bars make it harder to turn as it removes leverage.

The picture below is what I really want. But they wont fit because the clamping area is not wide enough.

9hEljDLm.jpg

So I thought and I thought and finally I thought that I would use my drag bar and make my own and change the current 9 and a half risers to 2 inch risers and the z-bar would have a 6 inch rise making a total rise of 8 inches. Which is better than 9 and ½ inches. But I still did not want to give up on buying them…. Sad, I know. I talked to some people and they said they can help me convert my bars to Z-bars.

2 weeks go by and I think that, make them I will have to do, but I still do not want to give up on just buying them. However last night (November 2020) I finally convinced myself to give up and just make them. 20 minutes after that I found what I can use. LOL serious I gave up and boom found the below Z-bar by fluke. Right height almost 6 inches (may have to buy a 3-inch riser to make the 8-inch total rise, will check with 2 inch riser first tho) 33 inch width.

SKYTwcFm.jpg

Website: https://www.fehling....rid=4&lang=eng this model 7758 L Z 9 HD schwarz

Took the risk and bought them to see if they fit. Still waiting on them to arrive. Will update when they get here.

Later I found this site by pure fluke as well. https://www.meancycl...m?partID=220175
Also found a Z bar there, more like the look I wanted but I had already paid for the other one so oh well too bad. Emailed them to see if they were still available to buy. Sadly they aren’t. That’s ok I’ll be happy with the ones I bought.

In the meantime…..

BWHAHAHAHHAHA allows Honda Triple Tree bolt hole to fit ANY Harley riser…… NO drilling required…… DONE!!!! Bought 2 sets just in case.

wJF23bYm.jpg

I bought new hand-grips as well.

TL22JAXm.jpg

Attiq Do you have a link for the riser bolts?

#34 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4687 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 05:15 PM

Is this what you're looking for?

#35 Attiq

Attiq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 February 2021 - 07:45 PM

https://www.meancycl...m?partID=220175

Or this =-) it is in the post it was just a little higher =-)

They are deadset amazing cause honestly NO DRILLING REQUIRED!

Cheaper at Bobs Site but I really liked the Meancycles service. The guy I emailed to ask some questions was outstanding and helped me a lot.

#36 mschwarz

mschwarz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationFreeburg il

Posted Yesterday, 12:16 PM

Is this what you're looking for?

https://www.meancycl...m?partID=220175

Or this =-) it is in the post it was just a little higher =-)

They are deadset amazing cause honestly NO DRILLING REQUIRED!

Cheaper at Bobs Site but I really liked the Meancycles service. The guy I emailed to ask some questions was outstanding and helped me a lot.

Yes thank you both! I am getting a set of FREE!!!! apes from a buddy who wrecked his Harley and never installed them. I just want to go with a simple riser and the Harley ones are so much cheaper than any I have found made for our bikes.

#37 Attiq

Attiq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted Yesterday, 07:34 PM

Yes thank you both! I am getting a set of FREE!!!! apes from a buddy who wrecked his Harley and never installed them. I just want to go with a simple riser and the Harley ones are so much cheaper than any I have found made for our bikes.

Free is ALWAYS good. Make sure that you know what the clamping area size is. Is it 1 inch or 1 and 1/4 or something else entirely on the ape bars? Just so you get the right clamp size.

Also of more importance is: how tall are the bars will you need new cables?

I'm about to buy new risers for my Z Bar. I'll post a picture of them when I get them on the bike. The reason? Cause my current risers dont bring my bar back far enough so I am leaning forward like I am riding a sports bike.

a8MZjxQt.jpg

Or maybe

jh2nKFQt.jpg

Not quite sure which one to go with. The first picture's rise is taller, the second pictures pull back is more.

One other thing for other people. I would suggest if you are sticking with the original bars but need more, if you want risers definitely go with wild bikers ones!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users