New Michelin Commander II - General Motorcycle Chat & News - VT Cafe - Forum for Honda VT1300 Series Bikes (Sabre / Stateline / Interstate)

Photo
- - - - -

New Michelin Commander II

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4622 posts
  • LocationThe Driftless Area of Wisconsin
  • Bike Info:2010 Sabre
  • Miles on bike?:>25K not too bad for a bike that's parked for almost six months of the year!

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:40 PM

I just replaced the Metzeler 888 on the rear with a Michelin Commander II.

They say it gets more miles than its competitor, which would be the Metzeler.

My Metz picked up a nail recently and had to be replaced, same as the one before it. :angry:

I've talked to a lot of riders lately who just love their Michelins so I thought why not!  It was also about $25 cheaper than the Metzelers.

Now if my back would get better, I'll get out there and try it.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted Today, 12:25 AM

#2 Yellowiron

Yellowiron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Bike Info:VTX1300 and VT1300CT interstate. Husqvarna Nuda 900 and 11 others!
  • Miles on bike?:18426 on the VTX and 106.497 on the interstate.

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:34 PM

I did the exact opposite! I picked up a nail in the rear and fitted a Metzler Marathon (just because I had one on the shelf!) The Commander2 I took off will take a tube so will do for the VTX rear as a spare.

The tyre rep for Michelin told me something interesting about the Commander 2's for the UK, He said that the UK version is softer compound than the USA version, which reinforces what I have thought about them. The US variant will hardly get warm on a run in the UK (Colder road temps) but the UK one is fine and is fairly easy to get some heat into it.

The rear Commander 2 got just over 11,000 miles on it and it's still not done!

#3 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4622 posts
  • Miles on bike?:>25K not too bad for a bike that's parked for almost six months of the year!

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:01 PM

I really had no complaints about the Metz 888 rear, in fact the strength of its sidewall may have been a contributing factor on us getting home safely from a 200+ mile ride up and down the Mississippi a couple Saturdays ago.  I checked the pressure and bumped it up a couple pounds before my Wife and I took off, the tread was good to so-so.  When I went to push the bike into the garage at midnight the bike did not want to move, so I thought it was in gear.   I didn't have the key with so I thought I was having trouble finding neutral since I was bare footed, but nope it wasn't rolling because it was flat as could be. That's when I found out it was totally flat, six hours after we returned home!, and now there was zero tread on the tire, with a couple patches of cord showing, one of which had the small nail in it.

The Metz 888 front is quite noisy, so that's probably getting replaced in the Spring of 2020.

Lookin' forward to seeing how many miles I get from the Michelin.

#4 burnsey166

burnsey166

Being a fat asian kid means I'm 'Buddha on a bike'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1883 posts
  • LocationSt Charles, MO (StL metro area)
  • Bike Info:2010 vt1300cs Sabre (current), 1997 HD 883 Sportster, 1990 Yamaha Radian, 1984 Honda Nighthawk 700s, 1982 Yamaha Seca, 1979 Yamaha 650 Midnight Maxim
  • Miles on bike?:16,970+

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:46 PM

I just went from Bridgestone Excedra back to Dunlop 404's. Primarily because I didn't want to wait for tires to be shipped in, and my local dealer had the done labs in stock sitting on the shelf. I also took a nail in the rear tire and did not want to wait three or four days for a tire to be shipped in.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body...
But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming .... WOW what a ride.

#5 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4622 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:27 PM

Burnsey, how many miles didja get from the Bridgestone?  And how many more do ya think you would've gotten from it without the nail situation?

Mine came stock with the Excedra and it really wasn't all that bad. 

#6 Rollout

Rollout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationIllinois
  • Bike Info:2013 Interstate VT1300CT
  • Miles on bike?:28k

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:14 PM

Just replaced my rear Metzeler 888 Ultra Marathon with the same.

Got 18,000 mi. out of it with a bit left to spare.

Note: Those are solo rider miles.

Rollout

#7 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4622 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:31 PM

Holy moly!

#8 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4622 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:57 AM

I've got a couple hundred miles on the Michelin now without any complaints.

<48 MPG now, was ~50 or so with the Metzeler.  But the riding lately has been a bit spirited IYKWIM!

#9 Michael D

Michael D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationCentral Kansas
  • Bike Info:Interstate
  • Miles on bike?:35,000

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:32 AM

Always been a very big fan of the metezler's. But I've always heard good things about the michelins. Ive run metezler's for many years. I use them on my VFR interceptor, the Ninja the interstate , the VTX, the venture and the Vulcan. I've always got great wear and performance out of those tires. Of course other than to sport bikes I've gone dark side on the back. Now it's just a matter of choosing a good front tire now days. Keep me updated on the michelins

#10 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4622 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 03:37 PM

I just replaced the front tire on my bike a couple hundred miles ago with a new Michelin Commander II, I now have a matched set.

The new front Michelin is WAAAY quieter than those two front Metzelers I had, the ride and feel is also very nice.

I wish I had written down the mileage for the Metzelers, but the first Metzeler front had some sort of belt failure after a few thousand miles on it.  I feel I got screwed by Metzeler, as neither J&P Cycle and my local bike shop (Who mounted the tire) did not take any effort to make it right with me.  I really can't blame my LBS but they are authorized dealers I guess, they didn't give a rat's ass because I didn't buy the tire from them.

So I put the Michelin on at 27,541 now I'll keep track of that one. ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users