gator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Bike Info:2010 Fury
  • Miles on bike?:16000

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

When my speedometer reaches 100mph the engines dogs until I release the throttle. Research shows there is a rev limiter activated in the speedomter. A suggested fix is the Power Commander V 16-025. These are priced between $350 and $500 depending on model. I'm thinking there must be a simple way to bypass this "feature" in the speedometer rather than remapping with an expensive appliance. Any experience, answers or suggestions are welcome.

#2 nc_fireman

nc_fireman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationGoldsboro NC
  • Bike Info:2010 red stateline
  • Miles on bike?:6000

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

I recommend not bypassing the speed limiter. These bikes aren't the most stable above 90. I've had mine to 100 mph many times. With all the wobble at that speed, I have no desire to go faster.

#3 whynot

whynot

WHYNOT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationMarshfield, WI
  • Bike Info:2010 Honda Interstate
  • Miles on bike?:15000

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

I recommend not bypassing the speed limiter. These bikes aren't the most stable above 90. I've had mine to 100 mph many times. With all the wobble at that speed, I have no desire to go faster.

I agree, I don't need mine to go faster. They don't handle well enough or stop fast enough.

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

2010 Interstate. Memory foam seat upgrade. Cobra FI2000R fuel tuner. Cobra slip ons. Modified air box ( going Cobra). MEM lowers (helped a lot). Pair valve removal and block off plates installed. Removed Honda badges and front fork reflectors

#4 The Chief

The Chief

The Chief

• Sponsor Member
  • 503 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • Bike Info:VTX1300C
  • Miles on bike?:11,000

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:13 AM

YEs you can bypass the speed limiter with a Custom Map only - You can not bypass the Rev limiter though!

Posted Image

#5 gator

gator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

I appreciate you taking the time to view my post and I respect your position, you should not go any faster than you feel comfortable with. I was at 100mph and I was looking for more that's why I decided to look to this forum for a possible solution. A debate over what speed other Fury owners recommend that I ride is off topic.

YEs you can bypass the speed limiter with a Custom Map only - You can not bypass the Rev limiter though!

Thank you, maybe that is the proper question, the speed limiter instead of the rev limiter. My current issue with a custom map is that they are quite pricey and those that have used them claim only a 5mph increase in speed. Hardly worth the price of the map. I was hoping for a simple bypass operation in the speedometer.

#6 The Chief

The Chief

The Chief

• Sponsor Member
  • 503 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

I appreciate you taking the time to view my post and I respect your position, you should not go any faster than you feel comfortable with. I was at 100mph and I was looking for more that's why I decided to look to this forum for a possible solution. A debate over what speed other Fury owners recommend that I ride is off topic.

Thank you, maybe that is the proper question, the speed limiter instead of the rev limiter. My current issue with a custom map is that they are quite pricey and those that have used them claim only a 5mph increase in speed. Hardly worth the price of the map. I was hoping for a simple bypass operation in the speedometer.

I will do a bit a research for you but what you are saying (5mph INC) can be alot better.

I am all for people doing what they want to their rides regardless of others opinions! that is why it is called YOUR ride.

Edited by The Chief, 24 September 2013 - 11:14 AM.

Posted Image

#7 SendMargaritas

SendMargaritas

Flying 1st Class...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationEarth, Milky Way
  • Bike Info:2012 Interstate
  • Miles on bike?:6400+ Since June 10 '13

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

Good advice, given here....

med_gallery_1314_258_2415394.jpg

- SendMargaritas.  Only HALF the prick you thought he was.

#8 The Chief

The Chief

The Chief

• Sponsor Member
  • 503 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

Good advice, given here....

Mine is raked 8* over stock and when I had my 21" front wheel 125 was no issue! Each his preference! With my 23" wheel I have not had it over 95 yet but I will let her rip some day! 

If you had wobble - Something is NOT right.in your particular setup IMO. 

Ride the way you like!  Paint it the color you like - add the options you like!  :)

Just keep in mind your Tires - I don not think they are "V" rated. If not you need to think of that aspect too!

BTW - Here is the Power Commander V stats here - looks like 120 mph to me!

POWER COMMANDER Web Site

Edited by The Chief, 24 September 2013 - 11:31 AM.

Posted Image

#9 2dirty

2dirty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Bike Info:Honda Sabre VT1300
  • Miles on bike?:19000+

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:47 PM

Chief, I hate to pester you with a lame question, but I was curious. I'm running: k&n filter, ported air box, freedom pref 3-stepped pipe and cobra f2000 cvt. I feel there is a little more left in her and was thinking about going over to PC5 w/ rev ext and custom Dyno. Do you think I'd be able to grab more power from the rpm & timing extend (with higher octane fuel)? My guy feeling is that there is only so much a fuel only computer can do.
Thanks bro.
=====================
Freedom Performance Curved Exhaust, PC5 w/Autotune, Ported Intake w/ K&N, Blockoff Plates, FlyShield, 200mm Fury Rear Wheel, Mustang Daytripper, Heated grips, MicroTach+, LED brakelight, Shane Sideplate

e656a939-292c-4638-a86f-c8199f8c43cf.jpg

#10 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationTrempealeau County, Wisconsin
  • Bike Info:2010 Sabre
  • Miles on bike?:Not enough

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

Hey 2dirty...

Have you searched for the other posts that have already covered this topic, they're in here somewhere ;)

Posted Image

#11 2dirty

2dirty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

Bob, yup... to great extent. Unfortunately nothing conclusive shown. Lots of bantering most of the time. Since Chief knows what he is talking about about, I was curious on if he found any interesting or conclusive facts. Especially since he seems fond of the PC5. In cars, you always can generate more torque on low and lose a little hp on high rpm when raising timing. By also raising the rpm limit, it seems to reason the the PC5 'May' shine more by buying back a little HP duration.
I'm happy with the cobra unit but I was curious to His observations.
=====================
Freedom Performance Curved Exhaust, PC5 w/Autotune, Ported Intake w/ K&N, Blockoff Plates, FlyShield, 200mm Fury Rear Wheel, Mustang Daytripper, Heated grips, MicroTach+, LED brakelight, Shane Sideplate

#12 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:08 PM

As I looked at the dyno chart on the PC page there wasn't a whole lot of extra hp created from the base line that they used.

The highest hp level shown on the base line looked like 63 hp @ 4300 rpm, and still under 70 hp with the PCV.

This 7 extra hp might come in handy, if I was in a grudge match with a stock VT 1300  ;) But I'd be soooo bummed if I had to run against a well tuned, stock 1984 Honda Magna. :unsure:

But I'm still wondering what the dyno would say, after putting a set of our VT 1300 heads on a flow bench, with a PCV ?

Don't look at me... I'm not going to do it, I just put $800 into a set of Sportster heads, I can't wait to get that sucka on the road!  B)

Just my 2ยข

Posted Image

#13 2dirty

2dirty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

Thanks, yeah I guess it's not worth that little gain and yeah I burned $800 on an fury rear wheel on my Sabre. I could get a Diavel, but my wife tells me I'm safer on this bike. I agree. Lol
=====================

#14 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:24 PM

I gotta keep telling myself that "Theses bikes are cruisers," "Theses bikes are cruisers," "Theses bikes are cruisers!"

There was a time when the only speed I had, it seemed was "WFO," even well after my hair was all white :lol:

Now I find myself giving my Wife or Daughter third gear tours through the countryside, around 30 to 40 mph.  I actually enjoy it too much sometimes!  ;) 

Posted Image

#15 The Chief

The Chief

The Chief

• Sponsor Member
  • 503 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:19 AM

All bikes come from the factory in a lean condition. They do that on purpose as they are trying their best to balance fuel economy, Performance and emissions regulations. There is room for growth in HP. because when you are mapping you are not just adjusting fuel and air but you are also adjusting timing. All have a significant impact on certain criteria.

By doing the following you can increase your performance even with the stock FI System:

1. Open Air Box

2. Open Exhaust up

3. Adjust air fuel and timing

With my VTX - I am carburated and can not adjust or change timing as it is fixed but FI guys can.

Some say a mere 7-8 HP increase is not worth it - What they do not think of is putting it in perspective. You are talking about a 65-70 HP motorcycle weighing a mere 750 lbs - adding 7-8 HP is a 10% increase in power at  that IS a large and substantial gain. You will know the difference and you will feel it - Combine that with a high performance clutch (MTC) and good rubber in the back and you got a quick little cruiser.

Now with that said - If you gain something you will LOSE something. It may be fuel economy - low end torque - minor sputtering on cruise - something but there will be some change. Just like lowering my bike and adding a 240 - YEa it looks great but I am no longer the high speed corning guy I used to be - I already lost a set of footpegs and my exhaust is scratched to hell - But hey - That is what I wanted.

If you decide to go this way I would HIGHLY recommend you contact Power Commander Directly and talk to one of their tech's who can by far give you more information as they have the background and technical knowledge for their application. But I hope I gave you enough information to decide on your course of action.

Enjoy your ride anyway you want too! I encourage it! That means everyone! 

Edited by The Chief, 25 September 2013 - 08:40 AM.

Posted Image

#16 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:32 AM

I agree with Chief, enjoy your ride anyway you want to!

But remember... don't mess with anything bigger than a 600 cc crotch rocket.

Posted Image

#17 gator

gator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

Chief, thank you for all your great input. The Power Commander website is very helpful as well. I opened the intake and exhaust on my Expedition to gain torque for towing the toy hauler. Thinking along these lines the same makes perfect sense for a motorcycle. I was looking for the cheap easy solution and am not surprised that it doesn't exist.

I pride myself on bragging to my die hard Harley friends that Hondas perform out of the gate and Harleys need thousands in upgrades to perform they way they should from the factory. A lesson learned, although I do still enjoy the dependability of a Honda and still find this VT 1300 to be very snappy and alot of fun. I think my GL1800 has me spoiled as I can bury the speedo at 140mph and it still cruises like a Caddy.

A 10-20mph gain on the VT1300 will be substanial after the 100mph mark for sure. Worth a $400.00 PCV among other modifications? That is the decision I will have to make. Riding the Fury over 100mph is not an often occurence, right time, right place, right situation. Would be nice to have it when I want it. I removed the stock muffler cans and installed Reaper tips to make it sound like a motorcycle so the exhaust is already opened.

When I purchased my wifes Suzuki 800 it already had Vance & Hines exhaust, K&N filter and Cobra FI. After some issues with the Cobra FI a local MC mechanic suggested that I remove the Cobra FI and he would dial in the stock computer. That has performed much better.

#18 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

So when I look up horsepower for a Honda VT1300 on Google, I find the numbers all over the place, some say 74, others are down in the mid 50's... what the hay?

I gave up looking for a dyno run, for a Cobra auto tuner compared to a stock baseline.dontknow.gif

The Cobra rep at the J&P open house this summer didn't have one with him, but the old fart said I can find them online, all over the Internet...Yeah right! scratch_one-s_head.gif

Posted Image

#19 The Chief

The Chief

The Chief

• Sponsor Member
  • 503 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:11 AM

So when I look up horsepower for a Honda VT1300 on Google, I find the numbers all over the place, some say 74, others are down in the mid 50's... what the hay?

I gave up looking for a dyno run, for a Cobra auto tuner compared to a stock baseline.dontknow.gif

The Cobra rep at the J&P open house this summer didn't have one with him, but the old fart said I can find them online, all over the Internet...Yeah right! scratch_one-s_head.gif

The Different Numbers are usually attributed to either CRANK HP or REAR WHEEL HP. 

Rear HP is the one you need to pay attention to as that is the Power after the drive shaft and at the ground.

Posted Image

#20 Bob J

Bob J

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:30 AM

Makes sense, 74 @ the crank, 56 @ the wheel... sound about right.......

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users